Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Jonathan Hilgeman
  • 1 Post By Golfdriver97
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Trying to make a grandma-friendly Android setup

My grandma likes to send emails to different family members, but her eyesight is getting so poor that it's hard for her to type out emails on the computer. My next thought was that the voice-to-text feature on my Galaxy S3 works pretty well, so maybe there was a way to configure an Android phone or table to the point of being an EXTREMELY SIMPLE emailing-via-dictation device.

This is the ideal flow:
    1. She picks up the device and hits the button to wake it up (no lock screen)
    2. There is a single, huge icon on the home screen that takes her to an email app. (If a lock-screen app could automatically take her there, even better, but Giganticon seems to be a way to make huge icons)
    3. Once in the email app, there is a HUGE-icon contact list (maybe 2 contacts per page) or she is somehow prompted to select the "To" contact.
    4. The next screen shows a big microphone button (high contrast) that starts and stops dictation, and another button to indicate she is done.
    5. When she finishes and presses the Done button, it presents her with three big buttons - "Read back" (text to voice), "Send" (sends the message), and "Cancel" (cancels the message).

When she's done, she just sets the device down and forgets about it until she wants to get another one.

Any thoughts on a good way to do this or apps that can get me close to this?
    Golfdriver97 likes this.

Global Posts
    13,810 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Default Re: Trying to make a grandma-friendly Android setup

I am curious is using Google Now voice commands would work for her?

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here
    Thanked by:
    mrsmumbles likes this.

Also I think there are gmail widgets you could make very large (resize) on a home screen. Maybe you could set one or two to always send to the same recipients.

There are contacts widgets too and maybe if you tap on them you'd get the options to call, text, or email.

I haven't tried these things but it's something to look into. Also, if you show her how to do something very easy on the phone, she'd likely be more willing to learn a few more things. Tech is less intimidating as you learn a bit more and a bit more. It becomes fun.

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

Have you seen this launcher? Looks pretty close to what you need. You can try the free version to see what it's like.