Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mumfoau
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    52 Global Posts

Default Facebook app update -- new permissions

Hi everyone,

I noticed Facebook had an update this morning, but the new permissions its requesting are too much even for Facebook. The ones that bother me are:
    - Your messages (read your text messages)
    - Hardware controls (change your audio settings; record audio, take pictures and video)
    - Your personal information (add or modify calendar events and send email to guests without owners' knowledge, read calendar events plus confidential information, read your own contact card; modify your contacts, read call log, write call log)

I'm seriously thinking of uninstalling (or at least not updating ever again). Am I being paranoid? Are there legitimate reasons they could need these permissions?

Default Re: Facebook app update -- new permissions

there is absolutely no reason why this app should be asking these kind of permissions. The best guess I can come up with is that the NSA has gotten FB to partner up with them in search for terrorists by recording users at random. I will never update any app with these kind of permissions, and I hope most of the app user community feels the same way. This is totally violating our privacy!!
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    52 Global Posts

So the app update linked to this page:

but I'm still wary.

I just read all the permissions in my app manager after a friend hipped me to the excessive requests. I'll now be uninstalling the app, placing a bookmark shortcut on my home screen in its place and using text messages to notify me of updates.
    bubbl07 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mumfoau View Post
    I just read all the permissions in my app manager after a friend hipped me to the excessive requests. I'll now be uninstalling the app, placing a bookmark shortcut on my home screen in its place and using text messages to notify me of updates.
    I have now uninstalled the app...the sms reading is too much now and ever since my amazon account was hacked (but thankfully stopped by amazon and refunded while i was still asleep this morn) i feel that this might have something to do with it as I never had any issues before this FB update...maybe i'm jumping the gun butr before these new permissions were installed on my phone I had never been hacked and am never stupid enough to click on any link be it amazon/paypal....if i get an email i go straight to the main page without clicking links. wish there was a version of fb i could revert back to before these permissions
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    52 Global Posts

FP on slashdot:

Global Posts
    136 Global Posts

Wish sombody would come out with a 3rd party version of fb. Or an app that showed what the apps were looking at or when they were looking.

Sent from my EVO LTE using Tapatalk 2
    get in da mix

Global Posts
    136 Global Posts

All the tech guys out there I wish someone would make a 3rd party app. Or an app that could track what fb is looking at on our phones.

Sent from my Galaxy 3 Tab with Tapatalk.
    get in da mix