1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Google Play Services - cant force stop

Hi all,
    I did notice a few threads about excess battery usage owing to Google Play Services. Since the last two days I faced a different problem. Google Play Services would constantly install updates, leaving my phone with no space, only 5MB was left and I could not even make phone calls. I tried the following:

Further there was a constant blue blinking LED light.

a) I tried doing a 'force stop' of Google Play Services - didn't work, when the screen would go off, it would start loading again
    b) I tried uninstalling Google Play Services - guess what it got installed again - the phone would simply reboot on its own and Google Play Services would be reinstalled.
    c) Finally I've had to uninstall both Google Play Services and Google play (this seems to have cleared up space and the constant uploading problem is finally over!)

For now, I am not re-installing Google Play Services and Google Play but may have to in the future.

I do have an eyesight problem as well, so will not want to root and delete applications that are part of the OS (I may end up doing something wrong), only Google Play and Google Play Services could be uninstalled. I don't know how to deal with this problem of Google Play Services hogging up space.

Well, apps like Maps etc will not work. But Gmail, messages and chat (not hangout) work just fine so far. And this is what I essentially use. I haven't got rid of the blue blinking LED light, though.

Has anyone else faced a problem in 'force stopping' of Google Play services, did it work?
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: Google Play Services - cant force stop

Adding: My Android version is 2.3.4
    Any suggestions, without rooting would be welcome.

Global Posts
    13,777 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

I would connect your phone to your PC and move anything like photos, and music. That can free up a lot of space. If you text message a lot, I would consider deleting some conversations.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    I would connect your phone to your PC and move anything like photos, and music. That can free up a lot of space. If you text message a lot, I would consider deleting some conversations.
    Thanks for your suggestion. No, I don't have photos or music, I've even deleted the 'data' on gmail app - didn't work and yes, deleted text messages also - it was just google play services that was hogging up all the space, wish it could be 'force stopped' without uninstalling. :/

Global Posts
    13,777 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Quote Originally Posted by Lubna Kably View Post
    Thanks for your suggestion. No, I don't have photos or music, I've even deleted the 'data' on gmail app - didn't work and yes, deleted text messages also - it was just google play services that was hogging up all the space, wish it could be 'force stopped' without uninstalling. :/
    Any large games you no longer play?

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here