Locating QR And Bar Code Apps That Came With Moto X

DaveRichards

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Device: Motorola Moto X
Issue: A few days ago, while investigating my new Moto X phone, I happened upon the ability to scan bar codes and, I believe, QR codes, using the camera. I had not downloaded any such apps and they must have been part of the system that came with the phone.

Of course, I have forgotten how to locate those functions.

Can anyone advise where I can find them on my phone?

sauce_a_poutine

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
In the App manager (Settings/Apps) there should be a few tabs on the top part allowing to select between "downloaded" "running" and "all". If you ditched some of them and want them back a search for motorola on the Playstore should yield a partial list.

sauce_a_poutine

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Could it be part of the camera software ? I would try launching the camera and see if it supports the function.

If it doesn't you can still install any one of those on Playstore. I like Barcode scanner (It also does QRs) and there's also QR Droid which is a little more complete.

DaveRichards

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
I've examined the camera and can't find the apps but I know the camera is the key to finding what I am looking for.

Thanks for the links; the apps get good reviews. But I want to stick with the Moto X app(s) that came with the phone; I only need to locate them.

sauce_a_poutine

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Did you use the "Motorola Migrate app" ? Perhaps that's the QR code reading memory you have ?

I don't think there is a QR reader that comes with the phone. I just went over the Motorola Moto X user guide and the only mention of QR is in the instruction for migration, where it says to use your old phone to scan the QR code on the moto X. I then searched the Playstore, and nothing related to QRs shows up on the Motorola app page.

A real shame, I like Moto apps, they are typicaly nimble and don't demand excessive permissions. I miss it's dialer app from my old Moto phone. I currently use the Droid light app on my Sony phone...

DaveRichards

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
I can't really say I used a QR app but I definitely used a bar code reader app. It's there somewhere. I will wait a few days to see what else develops on this thread and if I then have to, I'll download a suitable app from the Google play store.

This is my first smartphone so I have to proceed slowly.

Thanks again for your efforts.

sauce_a_poutine

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
This is my first smartphone so I have to proceed slowly.

I can relate. Even just changing from one Android handset to another means an adaptation period, even for the very familiar-to-Android crowd.

That said you don't have to fear or hesitate to install new stuff from the Playstore. Although many of the onboard Vanilla apps that come with phones are very good, many are also very basic and lack many useful features. Try looking at this thread you may make some interesting finds.

DaveRichards

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. I finally installed pic2shop from the Google Play store. There are many things to like about it but what I appreciate most is its ability to identify the bar code/QR code immediately upon the camera being pointed at the code. To me that is the most important feature of a scanner. I'm told by a reliable source that it's all in the coding of the driver; some scanners have better drivers than others.