Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mvsmith
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    407 Global Posts

Default Fed up with Evernote. Is there a better way/app for taking notes??

The fact that it takes so long for everything to sync (especially across platforms) has officially become a game ender for me.
    The Android phone app doesnt sync well with my desktop and the IPAD app is just horrible all around.

I really miss the instantaneous syncing of my simple Outlook notes through Exchange.

Are any other options/solutions?

Default Re: Fed up with Evernote. Is there a better way/app for taking notes??

I'm in the same boat, i know Any.do always get's mentioned but am yet to try it.

I've started using Google Keep and I really like it. Evernote was pissing me off too and it sucks because I used it so much. The biggest killer besides load times for web version and android app was the lack off offline mode. There is an offline mode but you have to be a subscriber. For simple notes.

I'm loving Google Keep and it works great on chrome, my tablet, phone, and keeps everything synced.

The strongest feature I like about Keep is the lists. You can make lists with check boxes or if you happen to be listing things out you can easily convert it into a checkbox. It doesn't have a note group category like evernote does and for some odd reason you cannot print from the web version or android version. I just copied and pasted it into word on PC to print. Those are two small annoyances but evernote was pissing me off more. Anyways, I don't organize notes I just write them.

I used Color Note at one point on an older phone but haven't used it since.
    Golfdriver97 likes this.

Global Posts
    13,914 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Another vote for Keep. I think Evernote took a simple app like notes and added too much stuff to it. Google kept it simple, and efficient.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu 'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    407 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mvsmith View Post
    I've started using Google Keep and I really like it. Evernote was pissing me off too and it sucks because I used it so much. The biggest killer besides load times for web version and android app was the lack off offline mode. There is an offline mode but you have to be a subscriber. For simple notes.

I'm loving Google Keep and it works great on chrome, my tablet, phone, and keeps everything synced.

The strongest feature I like about Keep is the lists. You can make lists with check boxes or if you happen to be listing things out you can easily convert it into a checkbox. It doesn't have a note group category like evernote does and for some odd reason you cannot print from the web version or android version. I just copied and pasted it into word on PC to print. Those are two small annoyances but evernote was pissing me off more. Anyways, I don't organize notes I just write them.

I used Color Note at one point on an older phone but haven't used it since.
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Another vote for Keep. I think Evernote took a simple app like notes and added too much stuff to it. Google kept it simple, and efficient.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
    Thank you both for your responses.

From a syncing perspective, is Keep superior to Evernote? If so, how?

Finally, can it be used on an Apple device?

Global Posts
    13,914 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Quote Originally Posted by kwitel View Post
    Thank you both for your responses.

From a syncing perspective, is Keep superior to Evernote? If so, how?

Finally, can it be used on an Apple device?
    I don't know about Keep being on Apple. As for syncing, it's pretty quick, at most a few minutes.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu 'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

I find Keep sync to be virtually instantaneous.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

There is one 3rd party iOS app for keep. But it looks pretty basic

Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    ROM
    bugless beast

Quote Originally Posted by euanpne View Post
    There is one 3rd party iOS app for keep. But it looks pretty basic
    Do you know the name of few 3rd party apps for iOS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why not use Google Drive? That's what I use for my notes. Google Keep doesn't have all of the features that Evernote has. But you can find those features on Drive. And it syncs well with just about everything.

Sent from my iPhone 5S. The "S" is for sexy.

OfficeSuite Pro + Dropbox + MS Word

Quote Originally Posted by dd0yl3 View Post
    Do you know the name of few 3rd party apps for iOS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's called "app for google keep" Just search "google keep" in the App Store.

Quote Originally Posted by dkhmwilliams View Post
    Why not use Google Drive? That's what I use for my notes. Google Keep doesn't have all of the features that Evernote has. But you can find those features on Drive. And it syncs well with just about everything.

Sent from my iPhone 5S. The "S" is for sexy.
    I don't have a problem with Google Drive. I write a lot, and I use drive CONSTANTLY. I love the offline features too. But, I like a notepad app. I like the style, UI, and simplicity of just taking notes. Yes, you can easily open drive and do a word (forgot what google calls it) document and save it, sync it, and organize it better. But sometimes it's nice just to use notes for quick and easy reference and widgets.

I did find the name of the old note app I used to use. "Color Note" it has syncing too. Haven't tried it since my SII but my give it a spin again. I wasn't aware that Drive lets you take what you wrote and turn it into a checklist too. That's pretty cool. Actually I have one beef with Drive and that's the issue of Google Docs and Drive not being fully merged. I've had people send me stuff in Google Docs and then it goes over to drive or sometimes stays in Google Docs. I never used Google Docs so I'm not familiar with it. I'd rather Google just merge the two. It would be nice to have Google Keep be in Drive as well. But keep the keep features.

Basic point is Keep is simplistic, like the card ui, and it works. I'm really surprised iPhone doesn't have a keep app. Google has almost all their apps on iOS and sometimes they get features early (like hangouts and google+) that android gets later.

Quote Originally Posted by mvsmith View Post
    I don't have a problem with Google Drive. I write a lot, and I use drive CONSTANTLY. I love the offline features too. But, I like a notepad app. I like the style, UI, and simplicity of just taking notes. Yes, you can easily open drive and do a word (forgot what google calls it) document and save it, sync it, and organize it better. But sometimes it's nice just to use notes for quick and easy reference and widgets.

I did find the name of the old note app I used to use. "Color Note" it has syncing too. Haven't tried it since my SII but my give it a spin again. I wasn't aware that Drive lets you take what you wrote and turn it into a checklist too. That's pretty cool. Actually I have one beef with Drive and that's the issue of Google Docs and Drive not being fully merged. I've had people send me stuff in Google Docs and then it goes over to drive or sometimes stays in Google Docs. I never used Google Docs so I'm not familiar with it. I'd rather Google just merge the two. It would be nice to have Google Keep be in Drive as well. But keep the keep features.

Basic point is Keep is simplistic, like the card ui, and it works. I'm really surprised iPhone doesn't have a keep app. Google has almost all their apps on iOS and sometimes they get features early (like hangouts and google+) that android gets later.
    I thought Google Drive and Google Docs were merged together. There is no longer a Google Docs app. For general note taking, even for checklists, I use the iOS notepad and reminders apps. They sync to all of my devices and the apps are pretty much straightforward. For anything else, I use Google Drive.

This write up is pretty good, but is a few months old now -