1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    866 Global Posts

Default Beejive IM now in market

I've read that this app uses push (cloud to device on Froyo). Anyone try it yet? $10 is steep, but I would pay for a good IM app.
    Send files between your Android and your PC with Dropbox - Click here

$9.99...does it use less battery than Fring or Meebo?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    866 Global Posts

this is what I am wondering, because it SUPPOSEDLY uses push if you have Android 2.2. So, one would think that it does not use a constant connection and messages are actually PUSHED to your device. If this is true, that would be a huge battery saver.
    Send files between your Android and your PC with Dropbox - Click here

I would imagine it does save on battery, as today's Trillian update uses cloud to device, and I've noticed an improvement.

I used BeeJive religiously when I was a BB user. Is there a trial version for android?
    "Some see the glass as half-empty, some see the glass as half-full. I see the glass as too big."
    - George Carlin

ROM
    Stock Deodexed Froyo

I really have been waiting for a good messaging app but I don't know if I want to pay $10 for it.
    My Smartphone Journey on Big Red:
    Motorola Droid --> Motorola Droid 2 --> Samsung Fascinate --> iPhone 4S --> Samsung Galaxy S4

FYI:

Earlier I received word from Beejive that the previously-purchased licenses are not transferable. Accordingly, if you own a BlackBerry "User License", you are SOL if you have moved to an Android device.
    FD2
    Shadow Lurker

Global Posts
    376 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by The Incredibles View Post
    FYI:

Earlier I received word from Beejive that the previously-purchased licenses are not transferable. Accordingly, if you own a BlackBerry "User License", you are SOL if you have moved to an Android device.
    That makes sense. I would not expect that you purchase the app for a lifetime.
    I'm not a star, somebody lied

Quote Originally Posted by FD2 View Post
    That makes sense. I would not expect that you purchase the app for a lifetime.
    Actually, some of us purchased the User License at a somewhat higher cost over the Device License. The User License is supposed to be transferable from one device to the next. Now they are specifying that the User License is only for the specific platform, and to be honest I don't recall that specification being there when I originally purchased it a few years ago.
    "Some see the glass as half-empty, some see the glass as half-full. I see the glass as too big."
    - George Carlin

Now that trillian also uses push, i'm going to wait til trillian comes out of beta and see what the cost is there before deciding between trillian and beejive.

has anyone figured out how to initiate group chats on this application? i really can't figure it out and that's a big part of why i was interested in trying it.

Quote Originally Posted by DenverRalphy View Post
    Actually, some of us purchased the User License at a somewhat higher cost over the Device License. The User License is supposed to be transferable from one device to the next. Now they are specifying that the User License is only for the specific platform, and to be honest I don't recall that specification being there when I originally purchased it a few years ago.
    Unfortunately, confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Beejive Support Email to Me
    Hi,

Sorry for the inconvenience. Currently it is not possible for us to transfer the license from any device to Andriod devices.

Thank You for understanding!
    So, I'm out $30. Blast.
    Phone History : Motorola e815 -> LG VX8300 -> BlackBerry Pearl 8130 -> BlackBerry Tour 9630 -> Droid X
    Follow me on Twitter!

beejive is a great app FWIW but I'm just waiting until trillian comes out to decide. Both are similar and serve the purpose but i like the fact trillian syncs with the desktop version.

Quote Originally Posted by zachflauaus View Post
    Unfortunately, confirmed.

So, I'm out $30. Blast.
    Aye and ditto. However, lesson learned. I can see from BJ's perspective the difficulty in administering a cross-platform lifetime license. However, they ought to offer something for us folks who are now out of luck. I cannot imagine the agreement we agreed to specifying that it is limited only to one platform. Of course, when I purchased it, BJ may only have had one platform. (I seem to recall the iPhone software was in beta.)
    Dude

Global Posts
    256 Global Posts

Based upon my receipt from the purchase, it implies BlackBerry transfers but as it states the license "can be transferred to other devices for free." I'm no lawyer but by calling it a "User License" I think they need to offer us a free transfer. Otherwise what we actually bought was a "Platform License" and they did not advertise it properly.

JiveTalk License Purchased: User License
    The User License is for use on one BlackBerry device at a time but can be transferred to other devices for free. Bring your license with you as you change BlackBerry models. Free software upgrades are included.
    And besides, with all of the alternatives now available for IM clients, do they really expect me to shell out another $30? It makes more sense to offer free transfers (or give a coupon code for a free license) to those that have User Licenses and generating some positive customer service buzz. I can tell you from experience that companies that have positive feedback on customer service experiences are usually going to see more loyal users and more positive word of mouth advertising.
    Last edited by kalifornia; 09-29-2010 at 07:54 PM.

Anyone else think this app feels unpolished?

It looks nice but it has an unfinished feel to me. Specifically, the background notifications are odd (don't display message previews like emails or texts), and it doesn't blink the LED.

I bought it and refunded it (for now) because I like Trillian better, but I might try it again after a few updates.