YouTube preloading feature gone after update to version 5.6.31?

mikeyangelo31

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
So I had just started using the preloading feature on my HTC One M8 so that I could watch my YouTube subscriptions when I wasn't on Wi-Fi. Today, I got an update to the YouTube app to version 5.6.31. Now, all the preloading has stopped and the preloading option isn't even listed in the settings menu anymore. Did they just decide to remove this feature? If so, that really sucks, because I loved it. Anyone else seeing the same thing?

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
You're right... looks like it. That's too bad. The support link for preloading videos on mobile no longer works, but if you look in the "Mobile" section of the "Known Issues" page, you'll find this:

Preloading no longer available on version 5.6 and above

To make way for some upcoming mobile features, we removed the preloading feature on the YouTube app for Android. We apologize for any inconvenience, and we look forward to bringing these new features to you.

I suggest visiting the link and clicking the "Report this issue" button. :)

mikeyangelo31

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the quick reply. Good to know I'm not the only one experiencing this. I wonder what the new features are that would cause them to remove preloading. Maybe something better that will allow offline viewing? I doubt it, but I guess we'll have to wait and see. Still, it's kind of lame that they removed the feature before implementing something new to take its place.

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith