View Poll Results: Did a store rep install and/or recommend a Task Manager?

Voters
962. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes they did.

282 29.31%
  • No but they advised that I do so.

166 17.26%
  • No they did not.

517 53.74%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 1011121314 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

ROM
    modified BACKside

Default Re: Did a store rep install a task manager when you purchased you

1)Virgin Mobile (Best buy)

2)They didn't ask to set my phone up or talk about task managers or anything. Maybe because they assumed I knew what I wanted was technologically savy enough to do so...or they just wanted the sale. Either way they basically just handed me the item and sent me on my way.

Droid 2 through Verizon and there was absolutely no mention of a task manager. Looking into ATK - Advanced Task Killer.

MoPho from Sprint. The sales rep never mentioned a task manager. On the other hand, I was running late to get to a wedding, and didn't even let her install my contacts (I returned the next day to do that).

Sprint, and nope. They know me pretty well though, I have a habit of going in and playing with the new releases about every other month, Hahaha.

I've been told specifically that ATK is bad for the phones, but that's about as much discussion as we get into anymore. They know I know what I'm doing, for the most part.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using Tapatalk

ROM
    [TeamFC] MiuiAndroid

They neither installed nor mentioned a task killer. my phone was purchased at best buy

Global Posts
    145 Global Posts

Nexus S4G Sprint at best buy
    She didn't install it but mentioned it and showed me what it looks like on her phone. I've used it but am kinda skeptical as to does it really work. All the time it tap kill apps they seem to go away but when I go to the stock settings of my phone "manage apps" their still listed o_O

Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7

1) Inspire HD @ AT&T Store
    2) No mention of a task manager/killer
    Inspire HD - CyanogenMod 7

when I got my EVO 4G from best buy last year they didnt install anything. I didnt either, but on my previous phones I had installed task killers and regardless what people say about them, the phones definitely ran smoother and opened things quicker after id do a "kill all", but with the evo and now with the epic touch I dont run one, maybe its just because the phones are/were just so damn fast on their own and have enough memory that I dont see any slow downs no matter what.
    Banned

ROM
    2.2(?)(stock?)

Quote Originally Posted by packerbacker View Post
    With my Fascinate, the guy said he "never installs anything", he just activates the phone bc he doesn't want to be held responsible for any problems. But all of my droids and my D2 all got Task Killers, whether I wanted them or not. So annoying.
    Then get rid of it.

Sent from T-mobile Galaxy S2 (Hercules)

Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 2.3.5 + Sense 3.0

1. AT&T (Costco)

2. Guy installed advanced task killer pro and said to kill apps every couple hours.
    HTC One
    HTC Inspire

2 years ago at T-Mobile the rep installed advanced task killer, without asking me, and told me to kill the apps when finished using them.

7 months ago switched to AT&T rep made no mention of it, although I made it very clear when I came in that I needed no help with the device.

bought samsung infuse at best buy w at&t contract.
    No installation or discussion of task managers

ROM
    4.0.2 Stock

Back when I purchased the Droid X, before I was even allowed to touch the phone while it was running, the sales agent at the Verizon corporate store took the phone back and installed Advanced Task Killer. I was told it "needed to be running at all times" because Android didn't run well with lots of tasks. Within a couple of hours that app was uninstalled.

This time around with the Galaxy Nexus the phone was completely clean and the Verizon staff installed nothing. In fact, other than pressing the power button they did nothing with the phone. I had it from the moment the boot screen started up, and did the full activation process myself. I am much happier going through all of this myself and not having the 3rd party crud added before I have a way to see what the stock OS looks and feels like.

Quote Originally Posted by mstroud View Post
    Back when I purchased the Droid X, before I was even allowed to touch the phone while it was running, the sales agent at the Verizon corporate store took the phone back and installed Advanced Task Killer. I was told it "needed to be running at all times" because Android didn't run well with lots of tasks. Within a couple of hours that app was uninstalled.

This time around with the Galaxy Nexus the phone was completely clean and the Verizon staff installed nothing. In fact, other than pressing the power button they did nothing with the phone. I had it from the moment the boot screen started up, and did the full activation process myself. I am much happier going through all of this myself and not having the 3rd party crud added before I have a way to see what the stock OS looks and feels like.

blackberry9860

1.) AT&T Captivate, corporate store.
    2.) They installed ATK for me.

Sent from my Samsung Captivate

1. Verizon Store

2. No the rep did not mention a Task Manager.

Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

Why anyone would allow a store rep to install an app of any kind on their new phone is beyond me.

There are plenty of threads discussing the pros & cons of Task Killers. This is not one of them. I have 2 simple questions I'd like you to answer. 1) If you purchased your phone at the store , which of the 4 major carriers did you buy your phone from: Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile or AT&T? 2.) Did the store employee install and/or strongly recommend a task manager before you left the store?

On my first 2 they installed them because I didnt know any better and trusted the corp. store. Since then, I have refused both task killers and antivirus programs pushed very hard by employees and phone support with Verizon.
    This Is Your Life And Its Ending One Minute At A Time

Global Posts
    26 Global Posts

T-Mobile. No, store rep didn't mention it (Task Manager). Maybe because it came installed on the device already.
    Last edited by jwinn03; 05-08-2012 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Identification of app (Task Manager)
    Jerry L. Winn

ROM
    3.0.8-704434

Default Re: Did a store rep install a task manager when you purchased your phone?

AT&T and Yes she did. Had nothing but problems with the Advanced Task Killer... SGS3 already has a built in task killer and was not needed. I un-installed it.

Default Re: Did a store rep install a task manager when you purchased your phone?

AT&T, nope. Bought the S3. However, when I went to exchange it for overheating to the point of being uncomfortable, the sales rep (different from the one who helped me get my S3) asked me if I cleared out the stock manager and if that helped alleviate the heat.

Sent from my HTC One X

Global Posts
    1,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted Mk3

1) Sprint

2) Nope, no mention ( I told them that I am an android enthusiast and they knew right away... not to mess ;p )

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Current Laptop - Samsung Ativ 4 Book, Ivy Bridge I7 @ 2.00GHz per Core, 8GB DDR3 Ram, Intel HD 4000, 750GB SATA

Please don't thank me unless I have helped you in some way, if you like my post then click like not thanks.

Check out my github @ https://github.com/gollum18 or My Android Applications @ http://lrdev.net76.net

1) AT&T

2.) They usually pre-load Advanced Task Killer also with other apps.
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 1011121314 LastLast