View Poll Results: Did a store rep install and/or recommend a Task Manager?

Voters
962. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes they did.

282 29.31%
  • No but they advised that I do so.

166 17.26%
  • No they did not.

517 53.74%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

ROM
    CM7

Verizon, Droid Inc., Did not recommend task killer. If they had I would have declined.

I came from heavily modified Droid 1 so I definitely understand there is no need for a task killer and would have advised the rep had they asked.

HTC EVO
    Sprint specifically said to avoid a task killer. Said it could kill things that need to be running.

Verizon. One Incredible in store and one from tele sales. No mention of task killers.

Bought Evo at Best Buy. No mention of task killer.

Global Posts
    239 Global Posts

EVO at Sprint. The rep handed me my phone with Advanced Task Killer already installed, and she even explained how to use it - including or excluding programs, explaining that it would extend my battery life.

The concept seemed reasonable to me - a seasoned smartphone veteran but my first Droid, so yeah, some background processes can kill a battery pretty quick I thought. I've still got it running. Maybe I'll try removing it for a few days and see how it goes.

Global Posts
    33 Global Posts

I had gotten my Motorola Cliq from T-Mobile through the website and had called in about a bunch of issues I was having with the phone, the first thing they said was "have you installed a task killer program like taskiller or advanced task manager? if you need help in doing so, I can walk you through the steps to install one before we continue checking the problems with your phone", so I just said "yes". They preinstall crap on the phone and then encourage me to use a taskiller too. The issue ended up being hardware and after 3 replacements, they finally got me out of the CLIQ series. Don't get me wrong, I personally feel I should be able to stop 3rd part apps, but I shouldn't have to root my phone just to uninstall the crap on there.

VZW, Droid X replacement. I went in to have my DX (which was shipped to me in August) replaced due to a manufacturer's defect. A rep attempted to install ATK after the activation on the brand new replacement device and I interrupted him right on the spot, then demanded him to get another rep (who is also a good friend of mine). When that other rep took over, I intentionally asked him if he would ever install ATK on ANY Android-based devices for their customers. His answer: "No way," then whispered "don't tell me that one of my co-workers tried to do that to you, didn't he?"

The next day, I was told that the certain rep who attempted to install ATK on my DX was terminated from working at the VZW store for violating VZW's employment agreements. Apparently, VZW does have a policy that prohibits their employees from installing unofficial Android/Google "fix it" apps, such as ATK and so on.

Global Posts
    26 Global Posts

Verizon, Droid X, ATK (took it off as soon as I left the store).

Evo at launch day. BB employees were recommending them to everyone that came in to pick up their Evo. In the time I was there, I had to have heard the Task Killer spiel about 10 times from the various employees.

My wife just picked up an Intercept about a month or two ago and BB again recommended she install a task killer as well.

Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now.

The verizon rep may have mentioned it, but did not install it on my Incredible. I called Verizon about issues with my phone and they kept on asking me if I was using a task killer or program to manage my memory, implying that would help my issues...kthx, Verizon...

Bought it from verizon, brand new corporate store, brand new (to verizon) csr. No task killer was ever brought up. I am convinced this is nothing more than personal preference on behalf of the CSR. If they find out about ATK and like it (or at least like the idea of it) they will push it.

There is a reason that ATK has > 250,000 and a stellar rating in the android market...

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

VZW, D2 and DX (DX was shipped, not in stock).

Sales rep installed ATK on the D2, also recommended installing on the DX when we received it. These are the first Android phones in our household (Blackberry previously). I removed it from the D2 after reading up on the subject and dealing with not so great battery life ... has been great since. Never installed a task killer on the DX and it has been fine also.

Motorola Milestone at Telus. I was advised by a employee (who also had a Milestone) that I should install ATK. To be honest, nothing could have made the phone worse. Now I use a Nexus and no TK, since I know better.

Global Posts
    24 Global Posts

Verizon store installed it before I could protest.

Of course, I removed it right away. Also, happened to a friend of mine. I tried telling her the ATK was not necessary and caused more harm than good but she's trusting the store's rep opinion over mine.

Can I vote twice? Not only did my Droid X on launch day come with it preinstalled (I wasn't even asked, it was just presented as a feature) but I went in and bought my wife a Dinc last week (she broke her ankle so she couldn't go herself) and the sales lady made a big deal about how she was preinstalling it and how she uses it several times a day on her X, blah blah.

They were otherwise competent and polite reps, so I just say there and smiled bemusedly while they did it and uninstalled once I walked out of the store...but seriously, where does this come from???

1. Yep. Best buy employee installed one on my brand new incredible before I even touched it.

2. It was Advanced Task Killer Free.

Global Posts
    798 Global Posts

I don't care what anyone says. My Fascinate IS snappier with ATK on crazy. Much snappier.

ROM
    AOKP + Franco's

OG Droid back in November. I asked what apps they could recommend and ATK was the most common. I never had a problem with it and could use it to keep Facebook in check.

I recently had my phone replaced and decided to try not installing it, seems like my phone gets bogged down and I have to restart it more often.

I see a lot of people buying from best buy. Did you all know that if you buy your phone from a privately owned verizon wireless store that they can upgrade your phone about 6 months BEFORE the 2 year contract ends?! At least that's the deal that I get as primary of a multi-line plan, but maybe that's why. Not positive. Anyone else confirm an early upgrade?

I was told about ADK, installed it myself, and have used it up till today, but I'm second guessing using it now.

Global Posts
    295 Global Posts

1. Verizon store, Droid 1, last December
    2. Strongly advised.

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts

Default survey

SPRINT STORE

HTC EVO

Oddly, My salesman pushed the issue of adding a TASK MANAGER several times. He recommended a few but did NOT install. However, I did install one, as soon as I got home. Thankfully, a little education wised me up and I UNINSTALLED very quickly.

I thought it was a little weird how insistent he was, considering my new found wisdom.

1) T-Mobile G2 From T-Mobile

2) T-Mobile didn't do anything but give me my phone.

I went to best buy thou, I went looking for a spare charger for my phone and the rep said he would install one for me, I told him no then he recommend that I do it and wouldn't stop bothering me about it. So I "informed" him and then asked to see the manager and complained about it and got a free charger (wasnt even looking for free stuff).

I do use watchdogg thou.

1. Verizon
    2. They gave me a list of recommended apps and Advanced Task Killer is number one on the list. The Verizon rep also told me that I would need one.

Default samsung fascinate

1-upgraded at verizon
    2-nothing said about task killers

-question though, on the fascinate it comes with a task manager when holding the home key. does this get included in that catagory or does it make a difference that it came with the device?

1) If you purchased your phone at the store, which of the 4 major carriers did you buy your phone from: Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile or AT&T?

SPRINT - HTC EVO

2.) Did the store employee install and/or strongly recommend a task manager before you left the store?

STORE EMPLOYEE INSTALLED IT BEFORE I EVEN GOT TO HOLD THE PHONE FOR THE FIRST TIME.

I BEGAN HAVING ISSUES SHORTLY THEREAFTER, RANDOM REBOOTS, ETC. I REMOVED ATK AFTER READING UP ON IT AND HAVE NEVER SINCE HAD AN ISSUE. I AM NOW RUNNING CM6 2.2 AND IT HAS ALL THE TASK KILLING YOU COULD NEED!

ALSO TO ADD TO THAT, EVERY ONE OF MY FRIENDS THAT GETS A NEW ANDROID PHONE HAS HAD THE SAME EXPERIENCE FROM MULTIPLE CARRIERS.
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast