Did a store rep install a task manager when you purchased your phone?

Did a store rep install and/or recommend a Task Manager?

• Total voters

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
With 2 DInc's they did not even mention it when I got mine, but all but forced it on my wife when she got hers. I finally told the rep... "Stop. Do not install anything on MY Phone." Both phones were bought in VZW Corporate stores.

With the many Androids I have seen around town almost all of them had Froyo and ATK. Everyone said a Rep put it on for them. These are NOT tech people. I have always taken the opportunity to provide a little education and ask for permission to remove it.

Last edited:

bmforrest76

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
Yes WTF?

I purchased a Droid X from Verizon last week. 1st droid I've owned. Switched from Blackberry and before that Windows Mobile (ouch). Store salesman didnt even asked , and installed Task Killer. I had no idea they were bad. Task killers were almost required back in the Windows Mobile days. I'm going to uninstall today.
On a side note......I'm loving the Droid.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
IMHO no store employee should be touching your phone unless you explicitly instruct them to. If the carriers really think a task killer should be on there, it should be tested and baked into the ROM before the phone ever reaches the store. There should be a corporate policy against employees doing this at the store.

For those of you wondering why I am so passionate about this, it's because 80% of the "I'm having an issue, please help" threads I've been monitoring since day 1 are almost always related to task killers. If this wasn't the case, this thread wouldn't exist. Not to mention it makes me uneasy to think of employees installing software before they hand it to you.

heavyvino

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I was told you need this, I used it once and then relized I could do the same from manage apps. I deleted it.
Verzion, Droid1 best phone ever.

CodeToJoy

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Verizon: Took my DInc into the store because it was randomly shutting down (Froyo update seems to have fixed it), the rep couldn't figure out what was wrong, so installed a task killer - claiming it may be resetting because it was running out of available memory.

aubiker

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
I have Droid 1. Bought it at a Verizon store. The rep recommended ATK, but I didn't let him install. I was a Crackberry addict and knew that I needed to come to the forums to learn what was going on with my Droid before I started adding things.

dg417

Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
Purchased an Evo at Best Buy and the rep said it is very important to install advanced Task manager because it will make a big difference with battery life.

apoczen211

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
A Sprint rep installed it on my phone when I came in to complain about how poor the battery life on my Evo was. He explained that it is the most important app on the market. He also told me that the Evo has the ability to be used on a CDMA and GSM network, so I guess his knowledge base was a little questionable from the start.

bcbbanga4l

Q&A Team
Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Yes i purchased new phone and plan with Sprint and they recommended i installed an application killer when i returned my evo because of horrible battery life. My girlfriend also bought an android phone that day a hero and they did the same on her's they installed it.

fonefanatic

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Yes twice! I bought my phone and my sons phone on Sprint from Best Buy. With mine they tried to get me to install it but I wouldn't because of my research on here prior to buying the phone. With my sons they installed it on the phone prior to him getting it. I told him to remove it and he said the girl at the store told him he needed it.

emanwis

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
1. Verizon (Droid 2)
2. Installed the task killer before even handing me the phone. Told me I should run it several times a day to conserve battery.

I deleted it when I got home after reading several articles on how they are not needed.

ryaninc

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
I got two G2s at a T-Mobile corporate store two weeks ago. The rep didn't say anything about a task killer. But then, I didn't even let him take the phone out of the box. He offered to set up the SIM card and everything, but I said we could do that at home. :cool:

I also got two G1s on launch day two years ago, and no mention of task killers was made then either..... ;) Of course, the Market was 90% tip calculators back then.

pcdebb

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Purchased Epic 4G thru Best Buy.

At purchase time it was not mentioned. I went back a couple of weeks later to see about changing out the battery due to it draining so fast, the first thing out the girl's mouth is if I had ATK installed. I told her no (I do) and she strongly suggested I install it and my battery life will improve significantly. I then told her that I have it installed, showed her, and informed her that it doesn't do what she just said it should do

she gave me a new battery.

D_H

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I installed it myself on my Droid when I got it in Feb. and Installed it on my mom's phone and my lil bro's ally's a couple months ago...love this app

dylanmail

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
1. Purchased my Droid X at the local Verizon store on 7/15/10.
2. They didn't install a task killer but all of the sales reps I talked to recommended I install one.

When I asked them about this on another visit to the store, and told them that even the Android developers recommend against using a task killer, they didn't know what to say.

One of the reps looked at my phone, because I was having issues with short battery life, and he said "Wow! How did you get your phone to look like that?" I was using Launcher Pro so I told him. He hadn't heard of Launcher Pro so I showed him how to get it from the Marketplace.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781