View Poll Results: Did a store rep install and/or recommend a Task Manager?

Voters
962. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes they did.

282 29.31%
  • No but they advised that I do so.

166 17.26%
  • No they did not.

517 53.74%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

*Sprint Store
    *3 phones - Evo and 2 Heros
    * Rep just went ahead and installed without telling me then said they were needed to help with battery life. Installed atrackdog and one of the popular "Task Manager" apps.

I've learned through trial and error use and on here that they are actually bad overall both to battery and apps that you want to stay on like a set alarm clock which would mysteriously not work. I now use a single app like Auto Memory Manager which has been great for me! No problems since stopping the Task Manager use and battery works fine for my Evo and the others.

A friends recent Droid(original) update to 2.2 seemed to affect the battery. I think she had GPS turned on by accident. She took it to the store, and they just installed the Task Manager which didn't help at all. I set her up with Auto MM and Quick Settings for easy reference and she's good to go now :-)
    Loving my new SG3.
    Previously happy EVO 4G owner ..mostly..
    Acer A500
    Thankful for Android Central. It's how I learned about Android and dived into the deep end!

I purchased my Droid2 from the Verizon store a few days after it came out. They offered to help me "set up the device" but I refused, saying I could handle it. I did notice Advanced Task Killer running on most of their Android devices they had on display though.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,359 Global Posts

I purchased it from verizon and they recommended it to me but i told them i did not want it installed

Global Posts
    14 Global Posts

Sprint - Via Radio Shack.

HTC Evo

No mention of a task killer.

Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 7.2 Nightly

TMobile G1, no mention.

Global Posts
    60 Global Posts

Default task killer

ok, as someone who worked for big red i first want to start off by saying that most (i'm guessing 80% or greater) of the people that work at the verizon stores have no more knowledge about computers and technology than my great grandmother. They are a bunch of sheep that mostly do what their told, first reason why the "task killer" problem even exists. Another thing that most people don't know because they aren't around verizon employees enough is that when one of those verizon employees doesn't know how to fix something, they panic start blaming the equipment or the software. Then they tell the customer that is upset they need a task killer or some other sort of software to fix their problem. I worked at 7 differnet VZW stores over my 3 year stint with the company and this happens with every type of smart phone. The other thing i guess i don't understand is why isn't everyone attacking the developers of this or these apps? You would think that google would want to take these apps out of that market place if they are hindering the performance of their OS...

Global Posts
    125 Global Posts

1. EVO from Sprint /Best Buy

2. Rep strongly recommended ATK. I just nodded and went on my way
    BlackBerry 8330> 9630> EVO 4G>GS3
    Regular lawnmower man...

ROM
    Stock

1. Verizon
    2. No. I guess they assumed I was tech savvy enough. (Mentioned I was a budding computer science major with an interest in programming.)

1. Purchased an Evo at a Sprint Store

2. The employee installed Advanced App Killer during set up

When I tried to take my Droid incredible to Verizon to get fixed for its contant lag and freezing issues. They had previously did a factory reset the day before because that was protocol he told me. Then after I came back i argured with a representative and the tech guy about why you don't need a task manager. They insisted for them to even look at my phone I had to have a task manager. So I left
    MacGyver Wannabe

Verizon.

Yes, they installed ATK.

I had a very knowledgeable tech, too. I am surprised she installed one.

Global Posts
    24 Global Posts

When I bought the Droid 2 at Verizon, the sales person did recommend it and install it for me. Everything was good, no problems, but I did read on Android Central to uninstall it, it will make problems worse. So as soon as I read it I did uninstall it and still no problems but the battery did increase from a half of day before to a full day, I just do the managing myself now, no big deal. Before I install any app, I now read about it on Android Central now.

I work for VZW and the reason a lot of reps install a task killer once the customer complains about battery life. Maybe a placebo affect.

I got my Fascinate as a replacement for several defective replacements of another device. "Ordered" it over the phone and the person I talked to seemed very knowledgeable about the Android devices that are currently available with VZW. They didn't recommend installing anything and just left me get it. A lot of that could be because I got it over the phone rather than in person though.

1) If you purchased your phone at the store, which of the 4 major carriers did you buy your phone from: Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile or AT&T?

Verizon

2.) Did the store employee install and/or strongly recommend a task manager before you left the store?

He installed it himself. I left the store and uninstalled it right then and there. Was ATK
    I'm a Human Machine

It's not only carrier stores, Best Buy Mobiles circular has tips inside. One of them is to use a Task Killer. My girl had ATK running on her EVO said geek squad recommended it..

1. Verizon (picked up an Incredible to replace the Eris I had ordered online.

2. No, they didn't mention a task killer. (But tech support suggested it when I called about Eris troubles - which I ignored).
    Sell crazy somewhere else. We're all stocked up here.
    rule the air.

Global Posts
    1,120 Global Posts

i'm a vzw rep and i remove any task killer i see on a phone brought in

i've learned from android devs that they are no good, and have never installed one on any of my android phones
    Thanked by:

Best buy HTC EVO. yes they installed advanced task killer with out asking and then 30 seconds later i removed it and then said ummm this is not ur phone dont go installing crap on my phone...lol

Global Posts
    64 Global Posts

Verizon Droid X, ordered from Verizon online store, and came with Advanced Task Killer pre-installed.
    Removed.
    Coffee Addict

Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM9/Franco Kernal

1. Verizon, Indirect Retailer

2. No, because I was the one who trained him

For Verizon, most reps only found out about android through trainings and whatever blogs they could find. When the droid first launched, EVERY SINGLE top ten app list included ATK, and reps were under the impression that it was required because most of them were coming from WINMO (which used one) or Blackberries, which can't handle memory well.

In the company I work for, Most of the reps will not remove ATK the instant they see it when people come in with issues, and they will refuse to install it. I know most indirects are the same way, at least around here. I can't speak about Corporate reps.

By now, a lot of them know better. It's not official policy to install atk, but it was strongly encouraged in initial training because no one knew better. Most review sites stated you need one (most mainstream sites still do)

Sites the AC are only really read by people who are android consumers (or people interested in it) most reps get their info from Phonescoop, Howard Forums, Engadget, and Cnet.
    I'm a tech junkie with a weak spot for Good Music, Good Beer, and Excellent Coffee.

Global Posts
    43 Global Posts

Bought Sprint EVO day after launch and store rep downloaded ATK and showed how to use it. I no longer use any task killers only kill startup apps killers.

Global Posts
    125 Global Posts

1.Verizon store
    2.no mention of task killer but did see it on the store demo model

Yes, the first thing the verizon sales rep told us to do after getting our incredible was that we had to install the advanced task killer. It, he said, was the most important app. (store in Reston, VA)

TMO did it with my sister's Moto Charm. I have the Nexus and very little came pre installed, yeah for no bloatware.
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast