Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default I need a phone app for old eyes.

This is a new phone (Moto G) going on 72 hours now. I arrived into the 20th century with this purchase from a flip phone. I just loaded my first app (Nova Launcher) like what I have.

Now I want to improve my phone itself. For one, I need larger words and phone numbers for incoming calls than the default settings seem to supply. I also need a better looking sent/received list.

Thoughts and suggestions welcome.
    Sent from my Four Speed, Dual Quad, Posi-Traction, 409.

Global Posts
    19,817 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: I need a phone app for old eyes.

I don't have a Moto G, but in Settings>Display, can you change the font size? There might be other options for you in Settings>Accessibility.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I already have it on "Huge" maybe I need extra huge. I believe it is not being applied to the phone though. Maybe I need better color contrasting too. The change from the default launcher to Nova was a real charm. Maybe a different app for the phone is possible.

Actually, the reason I got into this is that I want to write an app to infuriate Telemarketers and defeat automated calls. (Is there a venture capitalist in the house?) With my programming skills in place, I am starting to look at Android development. Maybe I will be designing my own phone.

Still, this is all so new that my needs may already be out there.

Global Posts
    19,817 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Quote Originally Posted by Emerogork View Post
    I already have it on "Huge" maybe I need extra huge. I believe it is not being applied to the phone though. Maybe I need better color contrasting too. The change from the default launcher to Nova was a real charm. Maybe a different app for the phone is possible.

Actually, the reason I got into this is that I want to write an app to infuriate Telemarketers and defeat automated calls. (Is there a venture capitalist in the house?) With my programming skills in place, I am starting to look at Android development. Maybe I will be designing my own phone.

Still, this is all so new that my needs may already be out there.
    Have you searched Play Store to see what is out there?

Signed, an M8, Liquidsmooth, and the AC Forums App

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

It is a bit difficult to see what is out there, I am sure there are thousands of apps written but I need one that is in fact a "Phone" app and not just an app used on a phone.

I would like to get in there and make fundamental changes in how my phone works. For one, since I don't use any images, I can save a lot of screen space if I could get rid of the fields from the list of addresses. Just my luck someone is going to point out a menu option that already does this but that is only one example. I would like to change the keyboard a bit. There are other operations.

As I asked earlier, is this an appropriate location for this discussion?
    Is there a better place?

Have you tried this app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...viewer_1&hl=en

I think it installs a new messaging system and dial-er with a zoomable keyboard and larger keypad and larger fonts.

I don't think it affects the rest of the phone, but you could try this for that too: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ne.bfont&hl=en
    This has been recommended to me before. It should let you change the overall font size.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

I guess I need some encouragement here. It took a lot of ainxt to load Nova as I thought it would replace something already working in my phone. Now I see I can simply switch between the two if I understand it.

Is this the same for other apps? Remember, I come from a time before PNP and Uninstall where you had to pick out the offending files one by one.....

I am still stunned from when I loaded Nova. I clicked on a button in a web site and apparently the site had already evaluated my phone and reported that the app was compatible. I clicked and the connection was made to install it into my phone literally in two seconds! I sat back feeling like Tom Hanks in "Sleepless in Seattle" after he got off the phone setting up that first date with Victoria (-:
    Last edited by Emerogork; 07-31-2014 at 02:43 PM. Reason: spelling

Yes. I have a Moto G too and use Nova. Nova isn't like most apps, as it is a launcher, which is supposed to change and improve the overall feel of the phone. You can switch between Nova and the original launcher, as you said, by going into "settings" then the "home" tab

The two apps I linked just add additional stuff to your phone to help in the areas you mentioned, and you install them in the same way as Nova. They won't remove or harm anything. They can be uninstalled just as easily as they are installed. The links just go to the Google Play store, you should get all your apps from there (to be safe :P ). Most apps should be as easy to install as Nova. You should open the apps on your phone though after install to make them start working.

The apps I linked earlier should help with the problems you mentioned in the first post.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

It is still spooky that a web site immediately knows that the app is compatible with my phone but yes, it looks very good. How do I purchase it?

It is interesting that the phone numbers are not hyphenated over a certain size font.
    Can I dedicate a ring to contact or do I go back to the original "People" list for that?
    Can I list the phone number with the contact in the list?
    What is SMS?
    Am I limited to only one alarm?
    Last edited by Emerogork; 07-31-2014 at 09:17 PM.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Is it possible to assign one default ringtone for all entries in my contacts list or do I have to go to them individually?

Is it possible to automatically assign that ringtone to all subsequent new contacts created or will I have to assign it with each new entry?

I am working on a scathingly brilliant idea here....
    Last edited by Emerogork; 07-31-2014 at 08:20 PM.