Deleting 6000 texts

T-R__E__X__

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
i have a t-mobile mytouch 3g slide. well, i've started texting my girlfriend day and night; in fact i have racked up over 6000 messages just on her. it would be more but i had deleted about 1000 due to terrible lag.

i want to know what is the fastest way to delete all of the messages. i've downloaded a few apps that were rated 4-5 stars and tried them out. "sms cleaner" deletes about 100 messages in an about an hour or two but then crashes. i really need help and anything will be much appreciated:)

oh yes, i keep losing reception every 5-10 minutes...could this be because of the lag?

Last edited:

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I have no idea, but first thing I would do is download a real text message app like Handcent which will allow you to delete an entire conversation rather than have to delete individual messages (I am assuming that's what you have to do on yours based on your post)

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
if you have the stock messaging app, just go to the main messaging screen where you will see the list of conversations you are having/have had with your friends. longpress a conversation, "delete"--then answer yes to the prompt about deleting locked text messages. it may take a few seconds/minutes---but it works. i did mine (933 texts cleared in about 2 minutes) and had to reboot the phone to get it to function again.

i understand this isn't the fastest, per say, but its without the necessity of downloading Another app to perform the same function.

gtricecakes

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
You can also limit the number of txts saved to your storage via the settings in messages. I put mine at 500 because of the lag. If you need to keep certain messages, you can lock it (I think).

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
why save all of that evidence? i delete everything immediately. you never know.

would clear cache work? factory reset?

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
If the phone is rooted --

Code:
abd shell
su
rm -r /data/data/com.android.providers/telephony/databases/mmssms.db
exit
adb reboot

will instantly wipe the entire sms database

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
These are a few of the tips from the Getting Started with Android - Tips and Tricks, Messaging Tips and Tricks section:

Keep Your Messages Cleaned Out To Keep Your Phone Running Well
If you have many messages on your phone, your Messages app can run slowly as it constantly digs through them all. Too many messages and your whole phone may become slow. You can set the Messages app to automatically delete old messages in a thread. Tap Menu > Settings > Delete Old Message ON and set your Text Message Limit to 100 messages or whatever you like. Some set this to 0 so that there are no old messages to be found.

Manually Delete Messages
- ? To delete one message, long press then tap delete
- ? To lock a message so that it is not deleted, press for 1 second > Lock
- ? To delete all messages in a conversation, tap Menu > Delete > OK

T-R__E__X__

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
If the phone is rooted --

Code:
abd shell
su
rm -r /data/data/com.android.providers/telephony/databases/mmssms.db
exit
adb reboot

will instantly wipe the entire sms database

how do i "root" my phone? i assume it's some kind of custom firmware for andrioid?

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Reactions: T-R__E__X__

T-R__E__X__

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Depends on what model you have. Look in the device specific forum and read up on it a bit here
http://androidcentral.com/root
http://www.androidcentral.com/rooting-it-me-some-qa

Don't root just for this though. As suggested, you can delete the entire thread by long pressing on the thread entry in the messaging app main window. Might take a few hours though :p

thank you sir. i'm kind of familiar with custom firmware since i used to do iphones and psp's.

i'm kinda new to the android family lol. i did the "deleting the entire thread" but my phone freezes up and it makes no progress. that's why i wanted to do this process. thanks anyway;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech