Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    1,093 Global Posts

Default Facebook 1.4

In case people didnt know there is a new update to the facebook app in the market right now

Just posting this so everybody can post their facts and findings in one thread.

Just updated. Nice to see some Android love, and notifications now open in the app (Thank you, Flying Spaghetti Monster!). Places and Groups are nice. I still use Foursquare and not Places, but still...nice to have.

Still no chat though, and notifications still only include messages, friend requests, and event invites: still no notifications for replies to my posts, which is just a very very odd ommission.

I am not familiar with the iPhone version for comparison, but I believe it has chat, right? Anything else we're missing compared to it?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    1,093 Global Posts

Ya the iPhone version does have chat. I just hope that the notification system actually works on the Android version.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx83 View Post
    Ya the iPhone version does have chat. I just hope that the notification system actually works on the Android version.
    ^ See above. Notifications open in the app now (and not the browser) but they are still missing (IMO) the most important ones, which are replies to your posts, or replies to posts you've commented on. Only notifications are Friend Requests, Event Invites, and Messages. Lame. Guess I still have to keep Bloo around just for notifications and chat.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    1,093 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EvilMonkey View Post
    ^ See above. Notifications open in the app now (and not the browser) but they are still missing (IMO) the most important ones, which are replies to your posts, or replies to posts you've commented on. Only notifications are Friend Requests, Event Invites, and Messages. Lame. Guess I still have to keep Bloo around just for notifications and chat.
    Ya I know they are in the app, I meant that we actually get them in the status bar of our phones. This update seems to be a big improvement over the previous versions of the app but until we get chat and a proper notification system the app wont live up to its potential. I still like he notifications on BB the best.

Global Posts
    866 Global Posts

It is a step in the right direction, but we REALLY need:

- PUSH Notifications!!!!
    - Chat
    - Support for managing pages

iPhone app does all of this and more..... sure hope we aren't waiting another 6 months for an update with these features, since Zuck said that the Android app and iphone app will be right on par with each other...

I'm happy for an update, but I was expecting just a little more than this.
    Send files between your Android and your PC with Dropbox - Click here

I don't care as much about chat as I do notifications, but agree. I have Bloo installed specifically for notifications (it also does chat, but I don't use it often). The rest of Bloo sucks IMO though, but at least the notification system works.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    1,093 Global Posts

Ya I have Bloo 1.5 on my phone too but that app went from great to meh over the past few months.

Ya I have Bloo 1.5 on my phone too but that app went from great to meh over the past few months.
    Yeah...I don't use it for anything except notifications in my notification bar. I will uninstall it as soon as the "real" app gets real notifications. Can't believe that's not in this app.

I thought I had read that Zuckerberg uses an Android phone now. If true, that should make them be pushing hard to get this on par with the iPhone version, at least. After all, you don't get to 500 million friends without wanting a decent Facebook app.

Global Posts
    716 Global Posts

For anyone wanting notifications definitely give F Plus a try. Dev keeps improving on app and is gonna add push notifications soon.

Notifications should have been there since day one. WTZ

I use tweetdeck for my notifcations it seems to do pretty good.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Global Posts
    1,093 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by as4life View Post
    For anyone wanting notifications definitely give F Plus a try. Dev keeps improving on app and is gonna add push notifications soon.
    I tried that app and deleted very quickly. Bloo did a better job for me and its free.

Global Posts
    716 Global Posts

I tried that app and deleted very quickly. Bloo did a better job for me and its free.
    When's the last time you tried it? There has been alot of updates. used to use Bloo but probably 60% of the time i clicked on a notification, it would say unavailable.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Global Posts
    1,093 Global Posts

I tried it last week.....

Global Posts
    716 Global Posts

I tried it last week.....
    Dev just updated app today. He probably updates quite frequently. I would say give it another shot now or wait til he implements push notification which should be soon.

bloated and weak. uninstalled.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Global Posts
    1,093 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by as4life View Post
    Dev just updated app today. He probably updates quite frequently. I would say give it another shot now or wait til he implements push notification which should be soon.
    If he gets push notifications and the lets me view the notifications in app than I will re-install it for sure
    Superstar Status

ROM
    AOKP M5 / Franco

I get notifications to my replies on my comments....
    Look at your comment. Back to mine. Back to yours NOW BACK TO MINE. Sadly, it isn't mine. But if you stopped trolling and started posting useful replies it could LOOK like mine. Look down, back up, where are you? You're scrolling through comments, finding the ones that your comment could look like. Back at mine, what is it? It's a highly effective counter-troll. Look again, MY COMMENT IS NOW DIAMONDS.Anything is possible when you think before you comment or post. Im on a computer.

no you dont

Global Posts
    306 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kstoutdog View Post
    no you dont
    LOL
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Global Posts
    1,093 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kstoutdog View Post
    no you dont
    ^ wins topic.....

Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts

I'm unimpressed but it is staying installed for the photo-uploads.

I personally wish Facebook would just work on the mobile version of the site to make it a great experience from any mobile browser, then make apps that work as back-ends for photo uploads and notifications. Since they have an open chat protocol people can happily use purpose-built apps like Trillian for chat. I think it would let Facebook focus more on a good user experience without a splayed-out feature set that is inconsistent depending on your platform. I feel like a neglected step-child on Android despite this update.
    FD2
    Shadow Lurker

Global Posts
    376 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by DroidDev View Post
    I get notifications to my replies on my comments....
    Same here.
    I'm not a star, somebody lied

Global Posts
    306 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FD2 View Post
    Same here.
    in your taskbar without opening the facebook app?

Global Posts
    432 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

They need to incorporate the Push notifications. Having to enable text messaging or e-mails for notifications is BS. The blackberry facebook app does this very well. why not spread the love??
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast