Clean Master or DU speed booster or The Cleaner - Speed up and clean

Poltergeist93

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
Anybody use any of these apps? Do any of these apps data mine or in anyway invade privacy or steal private information? And would you recommend any of these apps or any others on the Play store for maintenance on your phone.

acedl

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
I love clean master. 1 tap boost is great and cleaner app too. Really great for phones that are slowing Dow. Check it out.

jaegerpilot

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
I use du speed booster on my s2 and I've never had a problem with it :) it works really well. The advanced cleaning option is also very handy.

Posted via the Android Central App

Tarototh

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Umm.. Your internet service provider and your phone service carrier are the gatekeeper of your online usage data and mine every tap you make online and sell the demographics of every site you visit. Worrying about small developers tracking nitpicky things is redundant when you've already crossed the line entirely simply by using the internet!

That being said, I too would like some info on DU speed booster. Interested in an unbiased and technical review of the app. I keep reading things like "it works" and it "boosts your speed" with no explanation on how it does these. "It cleans your cache" is not sufficient. Every review I find seems to be a sponsored review and are overly glowing and sparse on details.

1) Cache is there to speed up the O.S. by reducing repetitive network data retrieval. And data stored in caches doesn't slow down your CPU as it's not active running app code, it's just stored data waiting to be accessed, whether it's on RAM or your system SSD (storage space). It is possible to free up SOME space temporarily by clearing but I trust Android OS built in routines to do this (it is designed to do so) more than some hack app. Clearing cache can theoretically SLOW down your system, as in the case of clearing your thumbnail cache for instance. It frees up space but the next time you open your picture gallery, the pictures viewer loads GOD AWFUL slow as the computer repopulates the image cache laboriously and in the process fills the cache back up.

2) there is no real anti virus... It's a meaningless term on android. It's suspicious to claim to feature it in the first place. I suppose it's possible that DU cleaner looks at suspicious system activity and flags it as potential malicious software, but there is no database of virii for android the way there is for PC. There are no actual self replicating virii on android. Just badly programmed adware and apps which misbehave in many ways that no claim to anti virus can possibly be able to track all of... If you are worried about virii, only install apps from Google play store (the play store ITSELF is your best most reliable virus checker so to speak as apps are tested for misbehaving code) and do not enable "install from unverified sources". Virii cannot install themselves without an executable code or app being launched or allowed. They might install themselves via an exploit in an existing app, such via a PDF reader (as an example) but I guarantee DU cleaner is not scanning your existing apps looking for exploit holes sand somehow patching them. The very claim of being an anti virus app makes me suspicious of DU cleaner

3) I keep seeing this claim of boosting game speed. How? Tech details please!

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Tarototh has the right idea...he has a good grasp on how things work.

DO NOT install any cleaners/boosters/memory optimizers/antivirus/task killers or other miracle solutions. None of these are needed. Most are counterproductive, actually wasting CPU cycles and power. Some are worse than that. Anything by DU is particularly evil. Uninstall!

Android is very good at managing processes, memory and generally taking care of business without help from 3rd party apps or manual user intervention.

Relax, let Android do its job and enjoy your phone.

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.

beagle82

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Agreed, these cleaners and boosters are just battery and resource hogs. If want to clean the cache once in a while, go to settings, storage, tap on cached data and say yes. You don't need a 3rd party app to do that for you. I don't clear the cache too often, nor do i clear my recent apps, nor do i kill my running apps that i use frequently (unless one is misbehaving) My system runs smooth and my battery lasts longer by not having to close and reopen apps all the time.

jimmyellz

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site
Both apps worked fine, I prefer Clean Master's Settings and DU Booster has a really cool UI. Everytime I try to clean Junk Files in DU, the size is always 4GB , after I clean, my phone's space doesn't reduce. It's 21GB before and 21GB after. But Clean Master really works. So I recommend Clean Master.

cy05rus

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
i think you and Tarototh are correct ,
however i think the apps are really working as well ,

coz i just bought a new phone (Lenovo A7000 Plus)

and it has some games installed already ,
i tried to play one of the games , it was ASPHALT 8 Airborne
and it was really suck! because i can't play it, its very damn
slow , i don't know where is the problem coming from, since the phone is brand new.
i tried adjusting the Gameplay settings but its no good at all, dont know what to do
so i gave up.

however just to cut the story short, after installing the DU Booster App , (i saw the app ad while playing piano tiles 2).
i am now able to play the asphalt with no problem ,

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Anything by DU Apps (aka Baidu) should never, ever be installed! DU Apps are well known as some of the most notorious offenders of all. Anything by DU/Baidu should be considered malware and treated as malware.

They throw up pop-ups of ads, scary-sounding warnings that Bad Things will happen if you don't download their 'fix'. Of course, the warnings are bogus and installing the 'fix' only results in more pop-ups with more ways of turning your money into theirs.

These apps also data mine your information and send it to servers in China for who knows who to do who knows what with it. And, the friggin'' apps are, at best, ineffective at the job they claim to do.

This long thread has a lot of excellent information by some very smart people about DU Apps and other such snake oil crapware:

http://androidforums.com/index.php?threads/896663/

DO NOT use any task killers, RAM memory optimizers/boosters, battery savers/repairers, cache cleaners, antivirus, etc etc. None of that stuff is necessary. Such apps are actually counterproductive and some are just plain evil. They actually waste power and disrupt critical system processes and degrade performance.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non