1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default sharing paid apps

a buddy just got a Droid X. Before he entered a gmail account in, he asked me to help because he wasnt sure how to do it (he didn't have a gmail)

Either way, I was more than happy to help. But I figured I'd experiment with something first

Previously, I had a D1 and it crapped out and I got a D2 as a replacement. I put in a different gmail the 2nd time and realized I didn't have the 2 paid apps I originally had, so I simply did a factory reset, put in my original gmail and viola' had my paid apps ready to upload on a second device

SOOOOOO I got to thinking

I put in my gmail into my buddy's account as it's primary. And sure enough, my paid apps were available for download. I then just did a factory reset and set him up his own and he's off to the races. However, upon learning of this (or at least confirming this), I told my buddy's wife, who is looking to get a Droid of somekind for herself too, just use the gmail account that her husband used. This way, when they buy an app, they can share it. It was simply The(xxx)family@gmail.com

now, the ethical dilema? I have heard some say this is stealing, but on iphone, this is a perfectly acceptable practice. To me, this is a perfect solution for families on one plan. The locator apps, etc, the tethering apps. This "give money because it's the right thing to do" business model only works for organized religions. I think it's a terrible business model for devs to use. IDK, maybe charge double and advertise it as "unlimited family account downloads"

What say you?

[flamesuit on]

Global Posts
    1,596 Global Posts
    ROM
    Teamhacksung's ICS

I think it's an acceptable practice, as long as the two phones are owned by the same person or family. If you go sharing a gmail with all your friends so they don't have to pay for apps, then yeah, that's wrong.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

my thinking too... I would limit it to those on the same plan. It's like charging a separate cable bill for everyone in the same house. Doesn't make sense to me. However, splicing your cable and dropping it into your neighbor's house.....

I think devs need to adjust their prices with this in mind. you figure, if 2 people share an app in most cases. double the price from 3.00 to 6.00 (or whatever)

they still make out better because in my case, noone shares with me as I'm a crotchety middleaged single guy (lol) So I would have to pay the inflated price even though I'm not sharing. SO beit. It's economics 101 IMO

The cost of most Android applications is far from major. At what point does one say enough is enough. A family can be be extended over the horizon and still be considered a family.

Software developers provide us with applications for fun, work, travel, et cetera and rarely do we pay more than a few dollars. For those of us coming from older operating systems, $5 to $10 was a drop in the bucket and nowadays, people scream if it is more than $10.

Give the developers a break. A discounted price for multiple users is better than what is actually considered theft for those of us who have no problems saying the word.
    EVO & an Acer A500 tablet.

My files: http://www.appbrain.com/user/bclinge...the-htc-evo-4g

Global Posts
    867 Global Posts
    ROM
    Decks

Try buying and sharing a blackberry app. Most are over $10. And can't be shared because it's link to your pin. Be thankful and pay the .99 cents price tag.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    The cost of most Android applications is far from major. At what point does one say enough is enough. A family can be be extended over the horizon and still be considered a family.

Software developers provide us with applications for fun, work, travel, et cetera and rarely do we pay more than a few dollars. For those of us coming from older operating systems, $5 to $10 was a drop in the bucket and nowadays, people scream if it is more than $10.

Give the developers a break. A discounted price for multiple users is better than what is actually considered theft for those of us who have no problems saying the word.
    why should I give the developers a break? How about I give me a break from double paying for the same thing? Part of being a business person is learning how to make a business model that works. "give me money because it's the right thing to do" is not a good business model unless you are a church.

so I take it, though.... your house has separate accounts for cable for each member in your house since, according to you, sharing is theft. Give the cable provider a break.

I take it you also have separate water meters, one for each member of your household since sharing the same water meter is theft

what about electricity....
    what about home internet? Surely your household has separate inet bills because paying for the internet, and then allowing your spouse to use it on their laptop is THEFT. Give the inet provider a break.

I'm not afraid to use the word either.... but I also am not afraid to use it equally across the board, not just on the convenient issues.

Try buying and sharing a blackberry app. Most are over $10. And can't be shared because it's link to your pin. Be thankful and pay the .99 cents price tag.
    price isn't what's being debated here. I never said droid apps were expensive. My question is on the ethics of it. Price is not what determines whether you think it's stealing or not. I just laugh at the fact that people who say sharing is stealing in one case (sharing apps), but probably have no issues with sharing home internet or cable. you either think both are stealing, or neither are stealing. Otherwise, you are a hypocrit

Personally, I don't think EITHER are stealing.

I was not sure how this worked on the android market but on itunes you have 2-3 fair use installs for each of your apps.

that way if you have a work phone and a personal phone you dont have to pay twice. I think its also fair for husband/wife to use in that same fashion...assuming they use the same "account" for purchases.

ROM
    Liquid 1.4, AOKP

Ok, let me get this straight - i just bought my wife a Fascinate from Best Buy, I have a DInc. I can put my gmail in there on startup, download all of the apps using App Brain or from the Market, then do a factory reset and all of the apps will be saved, but I'll be able to set up another gmail for her so she can use a separate google voice account and we can both get free text?

when a developer prices an app - he assumes that it's 1 license per user. it's not a "family and friends" license. hence - that is built into the price. this is why most apps are 99 cents. if the developer had to assume app sharing - that would be built into the price and a 99 cent app would cost a multiple more. and is 99 cents much? that's less than a soda. and you encourage developers to keep developing and building the platform. and it's the right thing to do.

i remember the not so long ago PalmOS days when good apps cost $10+ so i don't mind paying a fraction of that for great Android Apps - not to mention that many are offered as lite or free as well. i don't install a lot of apps - but if there is a good paid one - i don't mind paying for it.

from what i've read recently - Android Market will soon have an app paid verification system which will check to make sure your paid apps were bought by you.

Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    when a developer prices an app - he assumes that it's 1 license per user. it's not a "family and friends" license. hence - that is built into the price. this is why most apps are 99 cents. if the developer had to assume app sharing - that would be built into the price and a 99 cent app would cost a multiple more. and is 99 cents much? that's less than a soda. and you encourage developers to keep developing and building the platform. and it's the right thing to do.

i remember the not so long ago PalmOS days when good apps cost $10+ so i don't mind paying a fraction of that for great Android Apps - not to mention that many are offered as lite or free as well. i don't install a lot of apps - but if there is a good paid one - i don't mind paying for it.

from what i've read recently - Android Market will soon have an app paid verification system which will check to make sure your paid apps were bought by you.
    You can bet your bottom dollar that they will definetly do it now if they see this post. Personally I would have never even started a post like this cause it is just confirming the obvious! If you are questioning the ethical part then you must feel it's wrong other wise there would not have been a post like this. Now that it was bought to the attention of some this will probably spread like a virus.

So let's see what the solutions are now that this is out, raise the prices, limit number of uses, verification process etc... this should be intetesting. I know you probably met well by posting this but I think you just opened a can of worms!!

Global Posts
    4,142 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

The prices in the Android Market (for the most part) are VERY reasonable. If you think paying 1 or $2 for an app is too much, I suggest you go over to BlackBerry where it's still not uncommon to pay in excess of $10 for a single app.

The bottom line is when you purchase an app from a developer, there is a little bit of unwritten trust between the buyer and the seller that you will only be using this app for YOUR phone and YOUR phone only. Obviously when you upgrade to a new phone, that is also covered. I understand that if you're on a family plan it can be frustrating to have everyone on that plan paying separately for the same app, but that's just how it works. Many of these developers work very hard to bring you a product and they should be rewarded for their work.

The Android Market Terms of Service clearly states the following:

3.5 Unless you have been specifically permitted to do so in a separate agreement with Google, you agree that you will not reproduce, duplicate, copy, sell, trade or resell the Market for any purpose.

Even on a family plan, "sharing" an application falls into that category. If it's a different device that is not specifically yours, then you're breaking the Terms of Service with Google.

New York Giants | New Jersey Devils | Colorado Avalanche | New York Knicks
    Thanked by:
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,882 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

We're just gonna shut this one down. Like Chris said, it's in the terms of service that we all agree to that you won't share apps. It doesn't matter if you think it's immoral, unethical, or anything else.

You agreed to it and if you don't like it move to another platform.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.