Facebook for Android gets chat, push notifications

ToddPsyD

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Stock EVO here with 2.2 and I'm not getting any push notifications, but yes, chat seems to work. Not sure whats going on with this one...

Doesn't have anything to do with wether or not you have your gmail account associated with your facebook acount does it??

Last edited:

kedesa

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Droid X here, Stock...

I am getting updates for...

Comments on things I liked and commented on.
A wallpost...only had one since update

And I am getting fb chat even after exiting the app.

So far so good. Going to keep an eye on the battery life.

slinky317

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
For those of you getting push notifications, can you post what your settings are in the Facebook app to see if there's something that's different?

Here is what I have, and I'm NOT getting push notifications:

Refresh interval: 2 hours
Notifications: Checked/Active
Friend requests: Checked
Event invites: Checked
Vibrate: Not Checked
Phone LED: Checked
Notification ringtone (don't think this matters but whatever): Ascend

Also, can you look at the "Accounts & sync" option in the Android menu and see if you guys have Facebook (not Facebook for HTC Sense) listed? Also, click the "Add account" button and see if the Facebook option (again, not Facebook for HTC Sense) appears, if it has a green checked circle next to it, etc.

Thanks!

eye4ni

May 17, 2010
Visit site
While I am not getting ALL of the push notifications that others are reporting (comments etc.), my settings are the same as yours except I have refresh interval set to NEVER. And there is no Facebook account showing in my accounts and sync settings, only facebook for htc sense.

as4life

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Stock EVO here with 2.2 and I'm not getting any push notifications, but yes, chat seems to work. Not sure whats going on with this one...

Doesn't have anything to do with wether or not you have your gmail account associated with your facebook acount does it??

I changed my email login to my gmail account and still no dice

Sent from my CM6.1 Powered device

Reactions: ToddPsyD

slinky317

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
What about privacy options in Facebook? I have my profile totally locked down, and I'm not getting notifications. Does anyone that have their profile totally private get push notifications?

Kamen

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I just had a moment of Zen here. I wonder if this more or less has to do with Facebooks servers and individual accounts and not the app itself? I know I have seen some people in the past for example say "I don't like the new Chat feature." when it comes to the website and people reply "What new Chat feature? I didn't get that yet." only to get it a day or so down the road. Something had to update on whatever sever/database their account was located on in order for the new stuff to show and work. Maybe that's just it for the majority of us whose phones it is not working on. I did read a comment by someone who said at first it didn't work for them after the update, but they woke up today and after a few more hours it was working all of a sudden. Just a thought.

slinky317

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
Or perhaps, does it have anything to do with people that have switched over to the new profile system as opposed to the old one? I'm not getting push notifications for anything except for Chat, and I switched to the new profile.

Tattrpuff

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
For those of you getting push notifications, can you post what your settings are in the Facebook app to see if there's something that's different?

Here is what I have, and I'm NOT getting push notifications:

Refresh interval: 2 hours
Notifications: Checked/Active
Friend requests: Checked
Event invites: Checked
Vibrate: Not Checked
Phone LED: Checked
Notification ringtone (don't think this matters but whatever): Ascend

Also, can you look at the "Accounts & sync" option in the Android menu and see if you guys have Facebook (not Facebook for HTC Sense) listed? Also, click the "Add account" button and see if the Facebook option (again, not Facebook for HTC Sense) appears, if it has a green checked circle next to it, etc.

Thanks!

I am now getting full on true push updates...just started this morning. I see it pop up on FB and my phone simultaneously. This leads me to believe this has nothing to do with your phone settings...Facebook is tweaking things on site side that is sending them out in waves...like the new profile, but more like the way the mobile site recognizes which phone you're on.

I only have Facebook for Sense account added...it won't allow me to add the official FB account.

slinky317

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
That could be the case. I just wish Facebook would post something on their Facebook for Android page saying "Push notifications are being rolled out incrementally... if they're not working yet, just stay tuned!"

That would ease a lot of the annoyances people are having.

Kamen

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Or perhaps, does it have anything to do with people that have switched over to the new profile system as opposed to the old one? I'm not getting push notifications for anything except for Chat, and I switched to the new profile.

My wife is on the new profile and hers works fine.

I am now getting full on true push updates...just started this morning. I see it pop up on FB and my phone simultaneously. This leads me to believe this has nothing to do with your phone settings...Facebook is tweaking things on site side that is sending them out in waves...like the new profile, but more like the way the mobile site recognizes which phone you're on.

That is what I am thinking. Give it until the weekend and if you aren't getting Push Notifications then who knows.

Jan 15, 2010
Visit site
I just had a moment of Zen here. I wonder if this more or less has to do with Facebooks servers and individual accounts and not the app itself? I know I have seen some people in the past for example say "I don't like the new Chat feature." when it comes to the website and people reply "What new Chat feature? I didn't get that yet." only to get it a day or so down the road. Something had to update on whatever sever/database their account was located on in order for the new stuff to show and work. Maybe that's just it for the majority of us whose phones it is not working on. I did read a comment by someone who said at first it didn't work for them after the update, but they woke up today and after a few more hours it was working all of a sudden. Just a thought.

I would say that is the best guess I've heard so far. Not to mention, C2DM is still considered beta by Google. So maybe Google and Facebook are working together (ha!) and monitoring the roll out impact on both of their infrastructures rather than just opening the fire hose wide open.

slinky317

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
I agree that's the most plausible, but if it hasn't been rolled out to everyone, why don't they just come out and say that?

On the Facebook for Android page, they say:
Push notifications are only supported for devices on Android 2.2+. If you are not seeing push notifications, your device may not be supported.

This makes it look like if you're not getting them, something is wrong. That might not be true, but that's how it seems based on their wording.

Jan 15, 2010
Visit site
I agree that's the most plausible, but if it hasn't been rolled out to everyone, why don't they just come out and say that?

On the Facebook for Android page, they say:

This makes it look like if you're not getting them, something is wrong. That might not be true, but that's how it seems based on their wording.

Yeah, that is a bit misleading. I have to believe that any device that supports C2DM (2.2+) would be supported. I'm using a Droid X that is not getting push notifications, but I have seen others with the same device and same level OS reporting it is working with no special intervention on their part. Unless someone finds the magic switch and can prove it's device/app related, I am just going to assume it's a server side issue that will eventually be ironed out.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Oh, and I hate the icon that they're using now...it's a stick in the ground with a sign on it for notifications. It's really difficult to see as it blends in with the notification bar. I would prefer it to just have a Facebook logo.

And sorry to those that it isn't working for, you'd think Facebook, which is worth billions, would be able to get this accomplished. I mean hell, they got the Blackberry one working just fine.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Oh, and I hate the icon that they're using now...it's a stick in the ground with a sign on it for notifications. It's really difficult to see as it blends in with the notification bar. I would prefer it to just have a Facebook logo.

And sorry to those that it isn't working for, you'd think Facebook, which is worth billions, would be able to get this accomplished. I mean hell, they got the Blackberry one working just fine.

BlackBerry arguably has the best notifications for Facebook out of all of the platforms. If there is ANYTHING I "miss", it's that right there.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
BlackBerry arguably has the best notifications for Facebook out of all of the platforms. If there is ANYTHING I "miss", it's that right there.

Yeah, I definitely miss that part, and am really curious as to why BB got the best notifications. Also, what the _____ were they thinking with the new notification icon? It's hideous and kind of difficult to see.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
It should just be a BLUE Facebook icon, like on BlackBerry or like the logo itself. Why they insist on making it different from the norm is beyond me.

Jan 15, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I definitely miss that part, and am really curious as to why BB got the best notifications. Also, what the _____ were they thinking with the new notification icon? It's hideous and kind of difficult to see.

Because the BlackBerry notifications rely on the tried and true e-mail notifications. Basically, all the app does is watch your messages box on your BB for a Facebook e-mail and then converts it to a Facebook notification. The e-mail notifications from Facebook, the e-mail push from RIM...basically everything was already in place for real time (server pushed) notifications, all the app had to do was watch the inbox and pickup the Facebook notification e-mails.

With Android, they are having to adapt to a relatively new product (C2DM) that's Android specific and actually still in closed beta as far as Google is concerned.

Reactions: Wildo6882

MHBlink8

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
I have a DInc with stock Froyo and I have no issues with the new chat working, but have received NO push notifications. I even did a battery pull (hangover from my BB days)! Hopefully this works itself out over the next few days.