The best E-Book reader app?

Smokexz

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
My choice, Nook. The most books, the cheapest prices, the most attractive UI, and the most amazing custimizations. Kindle is a near second, sadly Google Books just lacks all of this. Google Books has a poor UI, bad pricing, terrible compatibility, and weak customizations. Your thoughts?

Sent from my Nexus S

bboykin87

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Personally I like the Kindle app more, maybe I'm a little biased because I've already read a few books on it. I would put Nook second, and like you Google Books last

NEST600

Jul 29, 2010
twitter.com
In terms of UI I like the Nook best but I'm a Kindle/Amazon addict myself. The most books across the most topics and while I'm still miffed ePub hasn't been adopted over in Amazon, they still end up with most of the books I want. -Pk

Smokexz

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Anyone else for Nook? I just love the UI and the page flipping extra is a tasty little piece of eye candy.

Sent from my Nexus S

Smitty_82

Android Addict
Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
I have used both Nook and Kindle. If you already have accounts with either go with that one. I don't think you can go wrong. If you don't have accounts with either, download both and try it out. There are plenty of free classics you can try to find which one you are most comfortable with. I do like that the Kindle Store is now contained within the app so you don't have to jump to the browser to find new books.

bboykin87

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
I do like the UI and the "page flip" of the nook but like I said I am biased because I have already read a few books on kindle, and already have an account there...
As far as google books, i had a hard time finding books

Roscopcoletrain

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Anyone else for Nook? I just love the UI and the page flipping extra is a tasty little piece of eye candy.

Sent from my Nexus S

Yeah, its what I use. I have a nook, so the syncing is nice. I just wish they'd open the app to Canadians. Im still on an older apk, as I cant find the new 2.4.1.

yogirl#AC

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
I like the Nook app, merely for the fact that I have a Nook and since I can't take it everywhere with me, I can just pick up where I left off in my current book on my phone.

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Personally I like the Kindle app more, maybe I'm a little biased because I've already read a few books on it. I would put Nook second, and like you Google Books last
This app is amazing... and will always be number one for me. kindle Rocks.

Aaron C#AC

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
I prefer Aldiko. It is more fully featured than the kindle app.
There are many ways to remove the DRM from kindle books. I usually purchase Kindle books, remove DRM and then use calibre to convert to epub and import into Aldiko. It sounds convoluted and difficult, but it takes about 2 minutes with a PC. The side benefit is if a NEW reader comes out, you have DRM free books that can be read on that device as well. If anyone has any questions on how to remove the DRM, pm me, since I think that discussion is not allowed on the board.

Reactions: Jerry Hildenbrand

j0hnnyRingo

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I have always been a big fan of the Kindle/Kindle App. However, I just got a Nook Color for Christmas, so I think I may have to switch over to the Nook app now.

Nook Color is a pretty cool device, especially for the price...it will be interesting to see how it runs froyo when the January update hits.

MikeBinOK

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
My choice, Nook. The most books, the cheapest prices,...

Actually, if you'll research the facts, you'll find that B&N's claim of most books is rather smoke and mirrorsish. :D And as far as prices, thanks to the agency model forced on everyone by Steve Jobs, for four out of the five major publishing houses, all vendors selling a given ebook are REQUIRED BY CONTRACT to charge the same price, set by the publisher.

But to actually answer your question.....

To my mind, the most important features are the bookstore you want to buy from, and the quality of the ereader associated with the store, not how good their android app is. The Nook Color looks extremely cool and attractively-priced. But for me, the eInk Nook can't keep up with the Kindle 3, and I find eInk the most comfortable way to read text. For books with significant illustrations (of which there are very few translated into good ebook form) I actually prefer reading by using the appropriate app on my iPad! (don't beat me!).

I read on a Kindle, an iPad, and on my Android phone, so I think I can pretty well say I'm not a fanboy of any given brand or store, but I do find the Kindle 3 the most pleasant way to read text for lengthy periods of time.

Whichever ereader you decide best meets your needs, don't forget that there are independent ebookstores such as Smashwords and Baen Books (great selection of science fiction that is cheaper than Amazon or B&N).

Smokexz

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Actually, if you'll research the facts, you'll find that B&N's claim of most books is rather smoke and mirrorsish. :D And as far as prices, thanks to the agency model forced on everyone by Steve Jobs, for four out of the five major publishing houses, all vendors selling a given ebook are REQUIRED BY CONTRACT to charge the same price, set by the publisher.

But to actually answer your question.....

To my mind, the most important features are the bookstore you want to buy from, and the quality of the ereader associated with the store, not how good their android app is. The Nook Color looks extremely cool and attractively-priced. But for me, the eInk Nook can't keep up with the Kindle 3, and I find eInk the most comfortable way to read text. For books with significant illustrations (of which there are very few translated into good ebook form) I actually prefer reading by using the appropriate app on my iPad! (don't beat me!).

I read on a Kindle, an iPad, and on my Android phone, so I think I can pretty well say I'm not a fanboy of any given brand or store, but I do find the Kindle 3 the most pleasant way to read text for lengthy periods of time.

Whichever ereader you decide best meets your needs, don't forget that there are independent ebookstores such as Smashwords and Baen Books (great selection of science fiction that is cheaper than Amazon or B&N).

Not when they have their sales, some pretty cheap books....

jeffro77

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
The best ereader for Android - in terms of features and UI - is actually eReader ( Download eReader for Android ).

Unfortunately, the number of books available for purchase for the reader is small by comparison to other vendors / platforms, and thanks to Barnes & Noble's business strategy (BN acquired the platform some 2 years ago), that number is getting smaller all the time. It also uses an aging format (pdb) which arguably isn't as flexible as the newer ePub format. Once you take into account all factors, eReader - sadly - becomes an almost unusable platform.

I used to be a big fan of Aldiko for its feature set (Aldiko 2.0 is especially nice) - but recent updates to both Nook and Kindle put them on par or, arguably, at a notch above (the ability to highlight and make notes is really nice, and Aldiko doesn't offer this yet).

While I will admit that Kindle presents a superior reading experience, I extremely dislike the platform for a slew of reasons which range from business practices to privacy concerns.

So, for the time being, I like Nook.

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I've been using Alkido because it was preinstalled. I tried Kindle but something did not feel right. I'd like to try the Nook but when I look in the marketplace I don't see it. Is this an 'outside the US' thing? Because I am. Or am I just doing something wrong? Alkido seems fine though. I downloaded my wife's novel from smashwords in ePub and it loaded up fine etc. Now I'm working through classics.

cordoni

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I use four different programs based on their strengths:

Overdrive Console for FREE library books.

Aldiko for side load non-drmed epubs (have over 100 of these) and free public domain epubs

Nook for purchased ebooks

Kindle for purchased newspapers and magazines.

I love my books, as you can see! :)

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I prefer Aldiko. It is more fully featured than the kindle app.
There are many ways to remove the DRM from kindle books. I usually purchase Kindle books, remove DRM and then use calibre to convert to epub and import into Aldiko. It sounds convoluted and difficult, but it takes about 2 minutes with a PC. The side benefit is if a NEW reader comes out, you have DRM free books that can be read on that device as well. If anyone has any questions on how to remove the DRM, pm me, since I think that discussion is not allowed on the board.

Ditto. DRM free is the only way to fly. I don't mind buying an eBook, but I do mind when it's not really mine after I paid for it.