Runkeeper Pro Free, but what about future downloads?

JustLeft

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
I downloaded Runkeeper Pro yesterday as they were offering it for free. My question is what happens if I change devices, or need to redownload this in a few months (for whatever reason), will I still be able to do so for free? Before this is dismissed as a stupid question, which I grant it might be, I noticed that my free apps were not pulled down through the marketplace when I last switched phones. Only the ones that I paid for were listed. So I am wondering since this is free, it might not show up. To test this I opened marketplace on an old android device I have (n1) and it didn't show Runkeeper Pro as something I bought.

JustLeft

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
This is a question that applies to any app that charges and offers a temporary period where it is free. Anyone know the answer?

MowDownJoe

Regular lawnmower man...
Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
I remember DoubleTwist's original companion app for Android was just a little doohickey that auto-mounted your SDCard when you connected your phone to your computer (and you had to pay for it! The audacity!). When they changed it to a full fledged media player, they said the media player was going to be "free for a limited time". Cut to now? It's still free.
So... maybe Google doesn't let them raise the price anymore once they start giving it away? DoubleTwist was the only example I could think of.

Last edited:

Lurch81#AC

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Good question updates or if i switch devices am I screwed? I know I can use astro to back it up but what if they update or something

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

JustLeft

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
Using a program like appbrain you can get a list of apps at any given time that are offering programs for free - temporarily. Sometimes it is get it today, then the deal is gone. So Google does not stop them from raising the price.

I remember DoubleTwist's original companion app for Android was just a little doohickey that auto-mounted your SDCard when you connected your phone to your computer (and you had to pay for it! The audacity!). When they changed it to a full fledged media player, they said the media player was going to be "free for a limited time". Cut to now? It's still free.
So... maybe Google doesn't let them raise the price anymore once they start giving it away? DoubleTwist was the only example I could think of.

MowDownJoe

Regular lawnmower man...
Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
No, I mean raise the price from "free". I've seen plenty of sales on apps, but never any app going from free to paid.

JustLeft

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
True. I haven't seen an app that started as free go to being charged. My fear is that an offer of 'free' on a paid app disappears if you change devices or have to wipe your existing device.

No, I mean raise the price from "free". I've seen plenty of sales on apps, but never any app going from free to paid.

Tre Lawrence

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Not too sure about how it works in the long run, but I have wiped a phone and been able to get every paid app back to the phone. I would assume the process would be similar for a new device, but I could be wrong.

JustLeft

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
Were any of them paid apps that you were able to download for free on a trial? Thanks for replying!

Not too sure about how it works in the long run, but I have wiped a phone and been able to get every paid app back to the phone. I would assume the process would be similar for a new device, but I could be wrong.

Tre Lawrence

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Were any of them paid apps that you were able to download for free on a trial? Thanks for replying!

One was a review item, so while I did get it free, it shows as paid. It restored with no problem.

I don't think the Market differentiates; as far as it is concerned, you own the app.

Reactions: JustLeft

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance