1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Apps for my new Android coming from BlackBerry.

I'm currently leaving BlackBerry for Android. I've come to love my BlackBerry over years. I looking forward to using the Android operating system. Below are apps I would like to have on my Droid device.

Can anyone recommend some good apps for the following?

- Notepad

- Tasks

- File Manager for SDcard (Create folders & zip files on media card)

- Profile Management (Different ringtones for different accounts)

- Keyboard with Autotext

- RSS Reader
    Android Guru

Global Posts
    842 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 4.1.1 Jelly Belly

Color notepad is good. Google rss. Why use auto text when you can talk like I'm doing now. Talking using froyo 2.2 keyboard

Global Posts
    400 Global Posts
    ROM
    EVODeck

Quote Originally Posted by cdf3 View Post
    I'm currently leaving BlackBerry for Android. I've come to love my BlackBerry over years. I looking forward to using the Android operating system. Below are apps I would like to have on my Droid device.

Can anyone recommend some good apps for the following?

- Notepad

- Tasks

- File Manager for SDcard (Create folders & zip files on media card)

- Profile Management (Different ringtones for different accounts)

- Keyboard with Autotext

- RSS Reader
    Notepad: not sure since I don't really use one (didn't on Bberry either)

Tasks: Google Calendar. It will auto sync between desktop and
    phone..instantly

Profile Management: If you mean different people (Accounts) there is an app called ringdroid that will let you manage different rings for different people.

AutoText Keyboard: SwiftKey is a beast but cost some $$coin. I like the Stock HTC Sense Keyboard the best usually.

RSS Reader. Google reader app. Or Pulse if you don't follow more than 20 feeds. Google Reader is pretty close to Viigo!

File manager is a good app to manage files on your phone. Allows you to zip and unzip, details for files and folders, memory space and move/copy/delete files. Astro file is another good one. I prefer file manager.
    Droid RAZR MAXX/Xoom/4510 LTE MiFi

I tend to agree with most of these suggestions. However, I am very much not a fan of Google Reader for RSS feeds. Minimal customization options, and no option for an instapaper view...this is the killer for me. Viigo was nice on BB - Not sure where it is at now, I've been on Android for about 8 months now so don't know if it updated since early summer.

For me, an RSS reader should be clean, intuitive, and fast. Usually I don't want to have to browse to a full web page to read an article on a mobile device

Pulse isn't bad - kind of bloated and a resource hog, but looks pretty. It is a little slow though. I do like the representation of all the feeds though

Newsrob - good amount of customizations, and has been my go-to up until recently.

Greed2 - I am now using this reader - easiest access to instapaper, and seems to be the fastest. Not real pretty, though better looking than Google Reader. Not quite as much customization as Newsrob, but enough to keep me going. Faster than all the others.

All of the above will sync with a Google Reader account.

Just my .02

Global Posts
    653 Global Posts
    ROM
    JBSourcery, Nilsp's ICS

i use MemoPad as a notepad

File manager.. depends.. are you going to Root your droid? if not.. i suggest
    if your going to root.. i still suggest astro but this ones a bit more powerful:

I have both, and use both for different tasks.. Astro for common management, and Root Explorer (because i'm rooted) for system files and such (seems to handle root operations better than astro).

for profiles.. i use the free version, will purchase full when i need more from it.

Keyboard.. personal prefence.. plenty to choose from in the market/appbrain.. the HTC keyboard is downloadable.. search these forums for it and it works well..

RSS reader.. i dont use one.. so cant comment.

I also personally recommend these to add to your customizing needs:

or a full fledged PIM if you need something like this is

LOVE THIS APP!

and faster browser for your pics and video files on the phone..

cheers

Global Posts
    867 Global Posts
    ROM
    Decks

-Notepad Note Everything

- Tasks Google Calendar

- File Manager for SDcard (Create folders & zip files on media card) Astro

- Profile Management (Different ringtones for different accounts) This is standard android contacts or htc people app.

- Keyboard with Autotext Smart Keyboard is the best virtual keyboard I've ever used. It also has auto text.

- RSS Reader Don't use this so I don't know.