Google Voice Porting Question

rls1400

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone... I'm considering porting my personal cell number to Google Voice so I can use Voice on my work cell. My work cell is going to be an HTC ThunderBolt.

Google says you need to have another cell plan so you can use the service. Is this simply for the data usage, or would that number somehow be forwarded? I would like to use my work cell number, but obviously not if it is going to be forwarded to Voice.

I'm trying to save $100 a month, and this seems like a good way to do it, as long as there are no kinks by using my work line as that number Google needs.

THANKS.

Last edited:

eye4ni

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Google Voice is not a cellular provider, all they do is route calls and voicemail. You will still need a cell phone with a plan in place in order to use Google Voice. If you just go and port your number, you will be disappointed that your cell phone will get shut off, and you will have no way to place phone calls anymore.

Porting your number to Google Voice will give you the freedom to use any carrier you like, and route your calls placed to your new GV number to any cell phone number you wish, but you won't be able to break away from the cell phone plan/bill just yet.

brainwash

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone... I'm considering porting my personal cell number to Google Voice so I can use Voice on my work cell. My work cell is going to be an HTC ThunderBolt.

Google says you need to have another cell plan so you can use the service. Is this simply for the data usage, or would that number somehow be forwarded? I would like to use my work cell number, but obviously not if it is going to be forwarded to Voice.

I'm trying to save $100 a month, and this seems like a good way to do it, as long as there are no kinks by using my work line as that number Google needs.

THANKS.
This should work like you want. Once you port your personal cell phone to GV, your personal account will be canceled. Make sure you're out of contract before you do this to avoid any termination fees. Set up the GV app on the Thunderbolt and you're good to go.

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
In case the other posts didn't make it clear, they mean that you need service in addition to the line you're porting since the line you're porting will be closed once the porting is complete.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance