Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Homerun Battle Update Asks for ROOT?!

    A new update was released for Homerun Battle 3D on 2-14-2011. After loading it, if you're rooted, IT ASKS FOR ROOT ACCESS:



    Now, any time I launch the game, it asks for root access. Is there any way to figure out what it's doing? This seems to be very suspicious...
  2. #2  

    Default

    I agree. SUPER scetch....wtf?
  3. #3  

    Default

    We're trying to get an answer from Com2us about this. In the meantime, I'd not run the app and keep a close eye on things. And thanks for the heads up Fahrenheit
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default

    I probably shouldn't admit this, but I pulled a really nub move and allowed it access. Nothing "seemed" to happen and the game loaded normally, but I got really sketched out and restored my ROM from an old backup. To be safe, I changed all my google\facebook\mail passwords as well. At least until we find out what the heck it's doing, I had to take precautions.
  5. #5  
    Kash76's Avatar

    Posts
    174 Posts
    Global Posts
    754 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gbhil View Post
    We're trying to get an answer from Com2us about this. In the meantime, I'd not run the app and keep a close eye on things. And thanks for the heads up Fahrenheit
    No updates huh?

    Sent from my EVO 4G using Tapatalk
  6. #6  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kash76 View Post
    No updates huh?

    Sent from my EVO 4G using Tapatalk
    Unfortunately the only support channel they provide is via twitter or their own forums. I have tried multiple times to contact them via Twitter, with no response.



    I urge everyone to post on their forums, hopefully that will get their attention. This is a very serious issue IMO and needs addressed.
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리
  7. #7  

    Default

    This is super sketch, I have to admit.
    Droid Incredible (4/29/10) -> TBolt (4/9/11) -> GNex (4/1/2012) > Droid Maxx (9/13/13)
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default

    I sent an e-mail to Com2Us via the email address they have listed on the Market app (info@com2us.com). It didn't get bounced back, but haven't gotten a response.

    On the app's market page, at the bottom, you can click to report questionable content. I did that as well.

    Is anyone brave enough to install this on a test phone, enable root, then see what changes? You could probably enable logging on your router to see what websites it tries to access :o
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

    Default

    FYI, I finally got an e-mail response from Com2uS about why the game asks for root now:
    Dear C N,

    Thank you for your inquiry.

    The information is needed to prevent possible cracking of the application, because a lot of happens on rooted phones. Please note that this does not affect the game play.

    Best regards,

    Com2uS
    Understandable I guess (apparently there is a lot of cheating now), but still weird. I might consider playing the game, but always deny root. Still makes me a bit weary though...
  10. #10  

    Default

    Got the same email this morning. I agree it's unusual, and i'll deny root as well. Strange right?
  11. #11  
    ls377's Avatar

    Posts
    1,594 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,596 Global Posts
    ROM
    Teamhacksung's ICS

    Default

    Does the game work fine if you deny root? That's a gaping hole in their explanation, which I don't buy.
  12. #12  

    Default

    They refuse to respond to me in any way. This leaves me no choice but to assume they are not being fully truthful -- especially since no other application needs root privileges to enforce copy protection.
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ls377 View Post
    Does the game work fine if you deny root? That's a gaping hole in their explanation, which I don't buy.
    It'll work if you deny root. However, it's base permissions get access to GPS, full Internet access, full SD card access, access to read the phone state, and system tools. The fact that they're being so shady about this root thing makes you wonder what other info they might be capturing....
  14. #14  
    ls377's Avatar

    Posts
    1,594 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,596 Global Posts
    ROM
    Teamhacksung's ICS

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fahrenheit View Post
    It'll work if you deny root. However, it's base permissions get access to GPS, full Internet access, full SD card access, access to read the phone state, and system tools. The fact that they're being so shady about this root thing makes you wonder what other info they might be capturing....
    Yeah, that's definitely shady. I wonder if its any harder to crack that any other app.
  15. #15  

    Default

    Guys, same thing is happening with SliceIt, which is also by the Com2Us.

    I deny root and the game runs fine. Not sure what is going on, but I'm just going to uninstall SliceIt until Com2Us provides an explanation that makes sense.
  16. #16  

    Default

    Yikes. Full Internet access and root aren't a good mix.
  17. #17  

    Default

    So did anyone ever find out why this happens?
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

    Default

    Not really...it's all speculation at this point. They say its because of cheating (which all the cheaters are on Android at this point), and they've implemented the root "hack" in their other games. I don't feel right playing it anymore...
  19. #19  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fahrenheit View Post
    Not really...it's all speculation at this point. They say its because of cheating (which all the cheaters are on Android at this point), and they've implemented the root "hack" in their other games. I don't feel right playing it anymore...
    That doesn't add up. If it's because of the cheating, then why does SliceIt - a FREE game - ask for root permission now?

Posting Permissions

B