1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Swype or multi-touch keyboard for Sprint Hero?

Anyone know how to get Swype for the Sprint Hero or a really good multi-touch keyboard (if there is one)?

Thanks

I don't think anyone haas the balls to post the file on here. Someone leaked it before and Swype asked them to remove and now we're not allowed to post it anymore. Sorry.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Oh, i was not aware, that sucks.

Thanks

My phone is due for some Periodic Maintenance.

you might try the forums over at xda-developers.com see what they have, there are some keyboard reviews and links there

Quote Originally Posted by zeravla531 View Post
    Oh, i was not aware, that sucks.

Thanks

My phone is due for some Periodic Maintenance.
    I think I can help you with that =)

Just got a hero and I think it might need a little Preventative Maintenance as well if anyone can help?

There's also ShapeWriter:

It's similar to Swype.

Thumbs up

My experience with Swype has been MUCH BETTER than with ShapeWriter.

If you do a google search for Swype, you will find many places that you can download the beta APK file to install.

Check out Androinica.com they have a great review of Swype for Hero and other WVGA devices.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyD View Post
    My experience with Swype has been MUCH BETTER than with ShapeWriter.

If you do a google search for Swype, you will find many places that you can download the beta APK file to install.
    I'd have to agree, Swype is way better in my opinion.

I used both for a day, and I thought Swype was horrible compared to ShapeWriter...I'm surprised to see so many people happy with it. It seems to be worse at word prediction so if you don't hit the letters right it's alot harder to use than ShapeWriter. I still have ShapeWriter installed but I haven't put Swype back on...

Quote Originally Posted by kehanra99 View Post
    I used both for a day, and I thought Swype was horrible compared to ShapeWriter...I'm surprised to see so many people happy with it. It seems to be worse at word prediction so if you don't hit the letters right it's alot harder to use than ShapeWriter. I still have ShapeWriter installed but I haven't put Swype back on...
    OK, I put Swype back on and adjusted some settings for trace and word suggestions...it actually is slightly better because the larger keyboard makes hitting the right letter more accurate. It'll take longer to see if I stick with it or ShapeWriter...but it is nice than I initially discovered if you tweak it a bit.

Global Posts
    71 Global Posts

I actually have Swype on my MT3G+ and it took some use getting too, but after a couple of days i found out how to swap it back to the android keyboard. Much better IMO.

Global Posts
    7,078 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

i liked swype a lot, infact i still do like swype. what i didnt like is how it caches your words that are not in the dictionary, and you cant really erase them. what started off as a large enough 5mb file, grew to 9mb in a week of typing. switched back to my android keyboard and i love it so much more now.
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by drm2blv View Post
    i liked swype a lot, infact i still do like swype. what i didnt like is how it caches your words that are not in the dictionary, and you cant really erase them. what started off as a large enough 5mb file, grew to 9mb in a week of typing. switched back to my android keyboard and i love it so much more now.
    lol that's exactly what I did

Global Posts
    7,078 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Cory Streater View Post
    lol that's exactly what I did
    To me, 9mb is WAY beyond acceptable for a keyboard. And for there to be no way to clear the memory of the data, that was unacceptable for something running on my device. Maybe thats a bit picky, yes, but I am ok with that.
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by drm2blv View Post
    To me, 9mb is WAY beyond acceptable for a keyboard. And for there to be no way to clear the memory of the data, that was unacceptable for something running on my device. Maybe thats a bit picky, yes, but I am ok with that.
    Especially considering the amount of memory we have to work with. Hopefully Swype comes out with a way to make it so you can clean it up better.

Wow you guys got off easy, I got hit with 12.56mb

Global Posts
    7,078 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

How long did you use it for? I caught mine early and uninstalled

Used it for about a week. I personally don't see the allure, maybe it's because I'm used to typing with two thumbs. Just felt awkward to me.

Global Posts
    7,078 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by ERDude View Post
    Used it for about a week. I personally don't see the allure, maybe it's because I'm used to typing with two thumbs. Just felt awkward to me.
    Ouch, well does your vocab consist of a lot of not commonly used words? If so, that will add to the file sizes!

But yeah, it was mainly convenient for in the car,...but errr um i dont text and drive

Not at all on the vocab, and not that I text and drive, but that was the worst experience ever. I'm faster at stop lights with the standard keyboard than I am with Swype.
    Banned

Global Posts
    863 Global Posts

Can I get I'm on this action?

are there any issues running swype for the hero if it isnt officially released yet?