Locale alternative

o2bnclemson

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
I noticed recently that Local went from being free to $9.99. While I like the app, I'd rather not pay $10 for it - especially when the GPS setting never really worked for me. If it had worked as advertised then I might.

Does anyone know of an alternative to Locale that's free? I just want my ringer shut off and then back on at certain times. GPS interactivity would be ideal, but I can live with just working off of the clock.

Recommendations?

o2bnclemson

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
Tasker is in beta right now. So far it works pretty well and is very powerful. Author is very responsive. Haven't used Locale so can't compare.

http://tasker.dinglisch.net/

Cool - that looks like what I've been looking for for other things as well, but I didn't see it in my Market. Is it only for 1.6+ or does it work for sad little ol' 1.5? I'm running an HTC Eris. Any options or alternatives for 1.5?

Last edited:

azjerry

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
It's not in the market yet. You have to download/install directly from the website. That said he's turned off the download link as the forthcoming 0.8b version has some major changes. Should be out this week. AFAIK it works on 1.5 through 2.1. Read through the beta forum for more on the current status/capabilities.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know of an alternative to Locale that's free? I just want my ringer shut off and then back on at certain times. GPS interactivity would be ideal, but I can live with just working off of the clock.

Well, it's not free, but I'm using Volume/Mode Scheduler from webcipe, which works great for switching ringers and notifications based on times.

o2bnclemson

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
I checked the web site for Tasker and I'm looking forward to him releasing the new Beta. Last I looked it wasn't up yet, but it looks like a must-have kind of app. Thanks!

tclark333

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm also disappointed that Locale costs so much now, and after reading some of the reviews lately, it seems like the app has really gone downhill after coming out of Beta. Strange.

I've been using Timeriffic as an alternative and it is very similar to Locale and has been working very well so far. The only drawback is I don't think it works with GPS right now, but that's ok for me because Locale's GPS plugin always seemed to drain my battery really fast.

MikeB

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
I use "ear" Home (ear // android application). It doesn't have the location awar stuff yet but for switching between multiple ring profiles, it works great.

>>>>
The Android(TM) mobile phone application ear allows users to create environment-aware settings profiles.
Version 1.0 - available in Android Marketplace within January 2010 - enables users to:

- create settings profiles (ringtones, wifi, bluetooth, airplane modus, etc.)

- view the active profile in the taskbar

- easily change the profile

- new icons

- support for latest Android firmware

Future versions will include location-awareness both outdoor and indoor. Knowing a user's geographic location, ear automatically switches the ringtone profile. Other information, such as time and caller, can also be used to define profile activation rules. E.g. ear automatically turns the mobile phone to silent mode as soon as the user walks into a pre-defined "silent area", such as a library building or conference room.
<<<<

o2bnclemson

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
New version of tasker is up.

and.... it's back down. Dev says around 15 Feb. I had it long enough to see that while it's not as easy to use as Locale, it's far deeper than Locale and allows way more control. I had set up an initial profile for today, but apparently the plug was pulled on the beta before it had time to run. I'm looking forward to getting it up and running on my phone again.

azjerry

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
and.... it's back down. Dev says around 15 Feb. I had it long enough to see that while it's not as easy to use as Locale, it's far deeper than Locale and allows way more control. I had set up an initial profile for today, but apparently the plug was pulled on the beta before it had time to run. I'm looking forward to getting it up and running on my phone again.

Did you have it installed? If so it should still run OK. My copy is still working.

o2bnclemson

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
Did you have it installed? If so it should still run OK. My copy is still working.

Mine says "Warning: Cannot read data" and all the settings that I had in there before are gone. I cannot do anything in the app - New or any of the others don't work or open and then I get a FC. I'm using a Droid Eris w/old 1.5, so maybe that has something to do with it.

azjerry

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
You did install the Cupcake version? That's for 1.5.

Other than that all I can suggest is register in his forums and ask there. Pent is pretty responsive so I'm sure you'll get a quick reply. Bear in mind he's in the UK so adjust your time expectations accordingly.

o2bnclemson

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
You did install the Cupcake version? That's for 1.5.

Other than that all I can suggest is register in his forums and ask there. Pent is pretty responsive so I'm sure you'll get a quick reply. Bear in mind he's in the UK so adjust your time expectations accordingly.

Yeah, I had the cupcake version (hate that name - makes my phone sound like a child's toy!). I can wait until the new update comes out, but I probably will go and either post or check the board for some information.

It's definitely not an open-and-run app, so I'd like as much time as possible to develop a full understanding of it.

bdbull

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
Try Timeriffic. I used Locale for a good while and ended up switching to Timeriffic b/c the GPS settings just were not working. So far I've had no problems.

btw...Go Tigers!!!

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
Looking for an app that uses the Show me as: Available / Busy feature in calendar to set my phone ringer off or on.

Everything seems to be time based (i.e. 8am to 5pm M-F) which I find very restrictive and less than ideal for me in particular. I work a rotating days off schedule and often work weekends and have for example Tues Wed off for "my weekend".

Since Available and Busy are two variables available both versions of Google Calendar, it seems it would be easy to do.

Does anybody know if there is such a profile manager out there? Anybody? Bueller?

Last edited:

o2bnclemson

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
Looking for an app that uses the Show me as: Available / Busy feature in calendar to set my phone ringer off or on.

Everything seems to be time based (i.e. 8am to 5pm M-F) which I find very restrictive and less than ideal for me in particular. I work a rotating days off schedule and often work weekends and have for example Tues Wed off for "my weekend".

Since Available and Busy are two variables available both versions of Google Calendar, it seems it would be easy to do.

Does anybody know if there is such a profile manager out there? Anybody? Bueller?

If anything can do it, I think it would be Tasker - linked a couple of posts back in this thread. The download link is under the Forums - Beta link. I haven't had the chance to dabble with it much. It's not as simple an interface as Locale or Timeriffic, but as a result, you're getting a lot more flexibility. I'd give it a look. And if it can't, I've found the developer to be extremely responsive. Suggest it and I guarantee you you'll hear from him in about 24 hours or less.

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
If anything can do it, I think it would be Tasker - linked a couple of posts back in this thread. The download link is under the Forums - Beta link. I haven't had the chance to dabble with it much. It's not as simple an interface as Locale or Timeriffic, but as a result, you're getting a lot more flexibility. I'd give it a look. And if it can't, I've found the developer to be extremely responsive. Suggest it and I guarantee you you'll hear from him in about 24 hours or less.

Thank you. I already registered on the dev's forum (Tasker) and he already responded and has it on his todo list for calendar. :)

ptfd13

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site

By far the best app for all your needs would be an app called "setting profiles." you can set up profiles for busy times in your calendar, when docked in either dock, times of day, location (and it works), and a multitude of other options. It is an amazing app with a free version and a paid version that is $2.95 and well worth it. I use it every day and I have it set up with locations, so when I am home my phone automatically turns on the ringer, wifi, and adjusts the brightness. In the car dock it automatically turns on bluetooth, gps, and starts maps.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MickTavia