View Poll Results: What are you using to "protect" your phone?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lookout Mobile Security App

20 76.92%
  • Total Equipment Protection App

0 0%
  • Nothing

4 15.38%
  • Some other App

2 7.69%
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Lookout Mobile Security Malicious?

So some of the employees at Sprint were told in a meeting that Lookout Mobile Security was newly found out to be malicious...hm...anyone else heard this or could it have something to do with the release of the new Total Equipment Protection app from Sprint/Asurion? I have been using Lookout for almost a year and have never had an issue. Leave comments...what have you heard/what is your opinion?

*I don't use Lookout for "protection" only for backup and Locate lost device (if I ever need to use that part).

Weird. i haven't had any issues with it either. I'll be watching this thread to see what others have to say.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk!

I'm pretty sure nothing is wrong with Lookout, been using it since it came out and not 1 problem. I'm will to be it's Sprint trying to sell it's app and nothing more.

Global Posts
    1,388 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cyclonic / CM9 + WebOS

Quote Originally Posted by AntiAppel View Post
    I'm pretty sure nothing is wrong with Lookout, been using it since it came out and not 1 problem. I'm will to be it's Sprint trying to sell it's app and nothing more.
    I don't really see Sprint having incentive considering their app is free if you have insurance.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Maybe another way to push the tep but it would b silly for me to not already have it. Plus open enrollment was last march so I am expecting to see it again soon. Just imo.

Global Posts
    608 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock - Maybe OC Kernel

I've been using it. No problems with it yet. Hasn't found anything yet so who knows if its working but it says it scan everything. How is the sprint app? Didn't really look but sprint wouldn't download for me because I'm running cm7 and it sees it as a non supported Device lol.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    64 Global Posts

I found that it was responsible for my reboot issues on my D2. Malicious, I don't know, but its list of permissions makes me curious.

Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    ROM
    Andromadus Mimicry

It's not malicious, looks like they just want some downloads of their app instead.

Global Posts
    4,722 Global Posts
    ROM
    All Stock

Doubtful that it really is malicious. I'd be curious as to why they call it malicious. What makes it malicious?
    RuneCryption - Unique memory puzzle game for Android. ( Google Play - Amazon Appstore )
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

I haven't tried the sprint one but it says it does all the same things as lookout. I will try to get the verbatum for more info.
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,964 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Xopher View Post
    Doubtful that it really is malicious. I'd be curious as to why they call it malicious. What makes it malicious?
    I remember reading an article a while back about anti virus apps for Android, saying that the apps do more harm then good because the developers collect your personal information..... but that was one article and a long time ago. I haven't heard anything like that since.
    I think it was based on the theory that some apps have access to your personal information, so why trust a security app that does the same.

ROM
    Stock rooted

Quote Originally Posted by Cyber Warrior View Post
    I remember reading an article a while back about anti virus apps for Android, saying that the apps do more harm then good because the developers collect your personal information..... but that was one article and a long time ago. I haven't heard anything like that since.
    I think it was based on the theory that some apps have access to your personal information, so why trust a security app that does the same.
    That's about what I heard, too. I don't use Lookout and I don't know how that sop's permissions compare to the AVG that I use.
    You know, I've never met anyone like you before. Usually when I meet someone new I feel awkward and shy. But with you it's different.
    Drop the Bag

Global Posts
    2,478 Global Posts

Maybe I'm ignorant; but, would a cell phone company/carrier really advertise a malacious application they haven't verified on the televsion; in turn, exposing the entire population with the potential to download?

@Sprintgirl Alicia from Lookout here. I can assure you that we are not a malicious app. In fact, our goal is to protect people from malicious apps, (for example the DroidDream malware that appeared a couple weeks ago). CNET and PCWorld have reviewed us and we are certified by Verisign and TRUSTe. Its unfortunate that a Sprint representative would call Lookout malicious; we have a very close relationship with Sprint and are currently being featured by them on the Sprint shelf in the Android Market.

We extensively test on Sprint phones, and we use them everyday ourselves with Lookout installed. Wed love to understand more about what you are hearing regarding Lookout. Feel free to reach out to our retail team who works actively with reps to better understand how to use Lookout. Retail@mylookout[dot]com. Thanks!
    Thanked by 2:
    Jalarmjj2me 
    Android Connaisseur

Global Posts
    2,612 Global Posts

Lookout is a pretty big company now. I doubt it's malicious.

It did cause problems on my Samsung Galaxy Tab tho. Kept freezing the device.

So far, it works good on my Atrix.

It it would be malware, Spring would probably communicate it to Google and Google would pull it off the Market.

If it is still in the Market then it is probably not known to be a malware.

My 2c.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

@Alicia Thank you for your attention and concern! I got some clarification on what was being said and this is NOT verbatum...Lookout prevents certain things from working properly in the same way that a task killer does. I am fairly certain this information is still inaccurate. As I stated, I personally have never had any issue that I believed to be caused by Lookout. Again, thank you, it means a lot to customers to know that Lookout is looking out for them and I will pass your message on.