Sprint Integration for Google Voice Active!

Impulses

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
My bad, when I wrote the previous post I hadn't refreshed to see that last post... That's good news, thanks! Seems like the notifications issue could be an easy fix on their end too. Can't you disable missed call notifications on the GV app? Just taking a shot in the dark, I've yet to use it... There doesn't seem to be a way to disable them within a regular Sense ROM. If that's the worst that I have to put up with then they've done a pretty good job imo!

The stock SMS app not sync'ing with GV, or rather GV not accessing the standard SMS DB to copy messages sent by the stock app, is probably something that can be fixed but I dunno if they'll bother. Google probably prefers you just use the GV app and Sprint would have to work with each phone manufacturer and Google to make sure all the SMS apps play nice together.

Btw, when you said they don't sync you meant that texts sent/read from the native app aren't registered on the online GV account no? Or does it go further than that? Can you somewhat seamlessly transition from texting at the PC to the phone? Or will you have a bunch of unread texts on the phone after texting for a while thru GV on a PC? My apologies if it seems like a dumb question, never used GV before tbh... Hyped for this tho.

eruji

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for clarifying and confirming the MMS.

1.) I can confirm that my desktop Google Talk does not ring ever. I can only receive calls while gmail.com is open. So i dont think this has anything to do with the Sprint integration settings.

2.) i hate the app version of GT for texting. I find it a pain in the ass to sift through all the VM's and missed calls to text people. I know there are shortcuts to doing this from your contacts. but i just want it to work like the native msg app.

3.) Seems like a minor annoyance. i tried to look through my android GV settings to disable the notification but not sure.

Im mostly excited about this feature for my wife, as she gets confused trying to only text from GV app. Im wondering for her (and most people, if the GV app is even needed on the phone if all of your phone calls/texts come from your number of choice) you would loose the GV visual voicemail and the international calling rates i think. But for a casual user that might not be crucial.

uh60james

May 16, 2010
Visit site
What happens if somebody calls my sprint assigned number if I select option 2 to use the google voice number? Will it ring if somebody calls it or is the number now dead.

IIJBII

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Damn for some reason phone calls are currently not ringing my phone or my gchat on my comp... it was working good last night. It eventually goes to voicemail and then alerts me of a missed call, but never rings. I'm going to try this with a few other phones, I'm wondering if it's because I'm calling my phone from an "unknown" number?

I had the same issue. When calling my GV number my EVO wouldn't ring (from any number). I found something in the help section of GV that said to delete your phone number in GV (mobile device) then re-add it in GV. This worked from me.

Hope this helps.

imekul

Sep 22, 2009
Visit site
Can anybody confirm that you do not lose your GV number if you choose Option #1? I want to try this out, but I would hate to throw my GV number away, as I give it out to a different group of folks (small business again).

Dnomyar220

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Can anybody confirm that you do not lose your GV number if you choose Option #1? I want to try this out, but I would hate to throw my GV number away, as I give it out to a different group of folks (small business again).

You will lose your google voice number after 90 days. Google gives you 90 days to decide if you want to keep your sprint number and google number linked, before deleting your google number. During this 90 day period, calls to your google voice account will still work.

If, however, you decide to keep your google number (not your sprint number), you can always re-activate your sprint number for free at any time you choose to stop using google voice.

Dnomyar220

May 16, 2010
Visit site
So when I tried to do it, it said that it would charge me $20 to do it. Wha? I'm with sprint, did anybody else get this as well.:confused:

This is still in closed Beta, which is why it didn't work for you. Once it's released, you will be able to sign up when you login to google voice (I got a pop up message). Google makes the sign up process nearly foolproof. If it asks you for money, chances are you don't have access to sprint integration with GVoice yet. Hope this helps

Dnomyar220

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I had the same issue. When calling my GV number my EVO wouldn't ring (from any number). I found something in the help section of GV that said to delete your phone number in GV (mobile device) then re-add it in GV. This worked from me.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the advice. My phone is working now, I think I was just have trouble dialing out from my office, don't think anything was wrong with my phone... not really sure it just happened that one time. The good news is that you never really "miss" a call (even if your phone is off), because google voice will always ring and let you know who called. I love that feature because I turn my phone on airplane mode when I sleep, but I still get a missed call log.

IIJBII

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. My phone is working now, I think I was just have trouble dialing out from my office, don't think anything was wrong with my phone... not really sure it just happened that one time. The good news is that you never really "miss" a call (even if your phone is off), because google voice will always ring and let you know who called. I love that feature because I turn my phone on airplane mode when I sleep, but I still get a missed call log.

Glad it worked - I was getting frustrated with this for days. Being into gadgets and technology I laughed at myself when I found a fix - Not sure why I didn't just look up the issue days ago. It was simple and fixed the frustrating issues I was having.

My Google voice on my Evo is still working so hopefully its a permanent fix!

DroidGnome

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Questions for the beta group

Since a few of you seem to be in the beta with the Sprint / Google voice integration, I wondered if you could answer a few questions..

Currently I'm planning on using my Google voice number as my main number and ditching the sprint given number. (I believe that's option 2 currently).

Should I do that:
1) How are SMS messages handled? Today if someone SMS's to my Google Voice number, google voice takes over and it shows up like a voicemail. This means the Google voice App AND my text message app (Handcent) both get notified. I do not want my Text messages mixed in with my voicemails as it makes it hard to know when I have a true voicemail. Will the same issue happen? (Currently I tell my friends to send texts to my Sprint #, but to call my Google #, which is a PITA).

2) Will the Standard android Voicemail app now read Google Voice messages? or will I still need the Google Voice app installed on the phone to see voicemail? (I want to keep the visual application aspect, not dial #1 or whatnot to listen from a dialer)

3) If a call is made to my Google voice number, and it rings both my Cell and Home lines, and should I pick up on my home line, is it smart enough to NOT charge me minutes or will it charge because it was my number? (Today I don't get charged since Google rings both Sprints # and Home# obviously).

Thanks for any answers you lucky beta people can provide.

acromack

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Since a few of you seem to be in the beta with the Sprint / Google voice integration, I wondered if you could answer a few questions..

Currently I'm planning on using my Google voice number as my main number and ditching the sprint given number. (I believe that's option 2 currently).

Should I do that:
1) How are SMS messages handled? Today if someone SMS's to my Google Voice number, google voice takes over and it shows up like a voicemail. This means the Google voice App AND my text message app (Handcent) both get notified. I do not want my Text messages mixed in with my voicemails as it makes it hard to know when I have a true voicemail. Will the same issue happen? (Currently I tell my friends to send texts to my Sprint #, but to call my Google #, which is a PITA).

2) Will the Standard android Voicemail app now read Google Voice messages? or will I still need the Google Voice app installed on the phone to see voicemail? (I want to keep the visual application aspect, not dial #1 or whatnot to listen from a dialer)

3) If a call is made to my Google voice number, and it rings both my Cell and Home lines, and should I pick up on my home line, is it smart enough to NOT charge me minutes or will it charge because it was my number? (Today I don't get charged since Google rings both Sprints # and Home# obviously).

Thanks for any answers you lucky beta people can provide.

I just finished setting it up for myself, and I'll try to answer these questions as best I can for you:

1) The way SMS is handled, it goes directly to the phone. AC has a nice write-up of how this all works. I haven't had much SMS at all since setting it up right now, so I can't really offer much on how it works. But you can send/receive messages on you computer through google.com/voice, and it treats it as a chat, which is really neat for low service areas. Texts won't be mixed in with voice messages - they're treated separately. The way I set it up, my gvoice # was changed to my sprint #, so the browser experience of gvoice is essentially an extension of my phone.

2) I'm running a CM7 rom, so standard voicemail app doesn't work to begin with for me. The only way to access voicemail on gingerbread roms is to dial 1 or go to gvoice app. But you do get a notification in the status bar that says when you have a new voicemail. So really not bad at all. I doubt that froyo roms would integrate this deep (pressing the voicemail button in the dialer to bring you to gvoice..)

3) If you're keeping your gvoice # then I assume if a call is made to that (instead of your sprint #) then you will not be charged sprint minutes. But if you set it up like I have, then your sprint # becomes your gvoice #, so no matter which phone/device answers it, you'll be using sprint minutes for the call.

Again, I haven't had too much experience with it yet since I just set it up, but I see it mostly useful for low signal areas - just fire up gvoice in a browser on my laptop and go about business as usual with calls and texts and emails all within gmail window.

Reactions: eruji

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site

Having a Stock Nexus One, I can assure you there is no such thing as a stock Voicemail App in Gingerbread. Any Voicemail app you have came from your carrier.

GV allows you to redirect all your voice mail to your GV number (even when you keep your sprint number and run your GV number in parallel). This is a standard feature of GSM, and I suspect it works on CDMA as well. It does this for you, or you can do it yourself. Pre Central had some discussion on this.

Google's page here: Google Voice says online voice mail.
But with the Google Voice App installed that also means on the phone as well, and instant notification of voicemail calls.

The GV app integrates all your voice mails, and GV texts into one place, where they can be archived or deleted or played as you desire. It will play the audio of your voice mail and also give you a pretty good text version (depending on how heavy the callers accent is it can be perfect, or not so much).

rotorrocket

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
GV has been a major hassle.

Can someone clarify if GV is enable, you are able to send and receive MMS through the messaging app of your choosing.

The GV app doesn't have this feature for texting...

Thanks in advance for your help...

LancerzRalliart

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
GV has been a major hassle.

Can someone clarify if GV is enable, you are able to send and receive MMS through the messaging app of your choosing.

The GV app doesn't have this feature for texting...

Thanks in advance for your help...

I just got invited yesterday and the mms messages come through using the stock messaging app or whatever you are using, regular sms messages come through google voice.

Jinded

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I just got invited yesterday and the mms messages come through using the stock messaging app or whatever you are using, regular sms messages come through google voice.

If you enable text notifications in the google voice app, you'll receive sms's through your messaging app as well.

imekul

Sep 22, 2009
Visit site
Do you know if there's any way you can synchronize texts sent FROM the Google Voice (using your cell number) with your phone's stock SMS app?

I want to be able to have all messages, sent and received, available on both the Google Voice site and the stock SMS app.

Right now, it seems like if I send from my phone, the message appears on the GV page, BUT it does not work vice versa. So if I sent a text from GV, it will not pop up into my stock SMS app.

Anybody know if there's any way around this? I guess I could stick to using the GV app for all of my messaging, but I really don't like how GV handles texts... plus, it requires data to send/receive a text.