Looking for an app to organize program icons

mmhhc

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
I've had the Hero only a week and already feel like there are too many icons in the All Programs area. Is there an app for organizing icons into subdirectories or categories of some sort?

I have a Sprint HTC Hero.

Thanks,
Marc

that1bb

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Dxtop homescreen replacement gives you the option to organize your apps. I have found dxtop pretty slow, but definitely worth a look. Cheers!

Rusty Shackelford

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
The alternative to the home replacement is to create folders on one of your home screens and add the various apps to the folders. Works great for me, and I dont have to sacrifice processing power for the home replacement program.

prometheus

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
The alternative to the home replacement is to create folders on one of your home screens and add the various apps to the folders. Works great for me, and I dont have to sacrifice processing power for the home replacement program.

I definitely agree. ^^^^ I WANT home replacements to work. But, I can NOT find one that isn't buggy and laggy. Best one is Home++ (imo). But, still not great.

Solution to a cluttered app drawer is folders. I use a few folders -- speed dials, games, social, system, and root stuff - I can have literally 50 icons compactly found in 5 folders for quick, easy navigation. I haven't opened the drawer in a week.

If the OP needs help setting up folders, ask away.

mmhhc

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, looks like a good idea to go the folder route.

Just out of curiosity, is there any way to put a folder in a folder?

Marc

melwan

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
I use LauncherPro (as home replacement) along with Smart Shortcuts (like folders but with icons - similar to App Organizer mentioned above, but I like the feeling and the performance of Smart Shortcuts better).

I see zero performance degradation on N1.

Last edited:

Bujin#IM

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
I use folders as well. I have folders for fun, games, tools, system stuff, internet info, and audio / video. When I download a new app, I make it a habit of putting it in a folder as well.

Nirvana328

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Launcher Pro also allows you to hide icons in your app drawer.

At first this seems superfluous, but after hiding all the apps I already have on my homescreens, in the dock, all the extra shortcuts in my dock created by LP by sliding left or right, or gesture swiping up, programs in folders, apps that I can't uninstall, and apps that have shortcuts to them through widgets, the app drawer becomes very manageable again.

From your home screen when you're running launcher Pro, go to Menu > Preferences > General Settings > Hidden Apps

I've easily hidden over half of my apps because I can get to them from the homescreen, widgets or through other apps that I already have easy access to. Really helpful imho. Plus I have a shortcut to gesture search on my homescreen, so if I ever need one of those hidden apps, I can easily find it using that.

PS: I also have QuickDesk running which is like a popup homescreen anywhere on your phone by double tapping the home button. I find it useful for settings widgets and access to apps that I use frequently or need quick access to like shazam, camera or barcode scanner. This has helped me cut down tremendously on clutter on my regular homescreens (and thus my app drawer) and is very convenient and fast.

Last edited:

braj

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I like Apps Organizer, I used folders for a while but if you accidentally drop one in the trash, oops! Plus you can start certain apps, like your favorite games among all you've collected, and easily see only these. Also the folders stay open after you launch something, so coming back later to that homescreen will show the folder still open. I like it for temporary stuff but not for organizing my phone.

Smart Shortcut is nicer IMO but on my phone it lags, it isn't as convenient to just go into to add an app to a category after installing. After clicking OK it seems to hang forever.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781