Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Default Um one thing your forgetting !

I dont believe Chomp has text to speech either and people do have their opinions but after talking to the techs at both places about specs, actually found out the guy that designed this went from handcent to chomp , they are both his designs ,they are built on the same engine and then in handcents case it had the added features like text to speech , font paks and more things for setting things up etc. Therefore if you like options handcent would be the right choice. If you like plug an play use chomp.
    All this stuff about this being different and that , its simply not true , its the same engine.
    have fun , enjoy and have a nice day

The ONLY problem I had with Chomp, is that it doesn't have batch deletion. Because I get notifications from twitter and facebook, I want to be able to delete them all at once, and I couldn't see how to do that with Chomp... Quite easy with Handcent.

Global Posts
    256 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

My Evo is my first Android experience and I've had Handcent for about a week and love it. I don't have a reason to look for another app. I love the customization on it, colored background or wallpaper. You can change the bubble colors. Pop up notification with quick reply. Assign specific notification for a contact, change their notification icon color for one person (I'll leave app setting at the default blue, but I change my girls icon to pink). I'm just loving it...

Someone should do a side by side comparison of the two because its a tough decision and because they both have similar features, I think it'll run come down to personal preference, just like the others in this thread have said.

I was using Handcent, but noticed it had problems sending pictures. When I would attach a pic, it would seem like it was going, but the round activity thingy that appears when sending a text (not sure what it's called) would just keep going and going and going. I mean like an hour later it would still be spinning. Sometimes the the picture was sent immediately, sometimes it took hours, sometimes it wasn't sent at all.

Tried Chomp, and while it spins for a little while (30-60 seconds) it does stop and all pics I've sent seem to send immediately after that stops. Because of that, I use Chomp.

The stock messaging app, for whatever reason, only spins for a couple seconds on every picture I've tried to text, but I don't like it nearly as much as Handcent or Chomp.
    Last edited by rockdawg; 06-28-2010 at 02:33 PM.

Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    ROM
    Jedi Invasion

Quote Originally Posted by vrekeno View Post
    Using chompSms although I just realized the date is not displayed in conversations. Hard to know when I received/sent the message... I checked the options and found nothing relevant...
    I have the date in mine?
    Samsung Galaxy S3 | Jedi Invasion |

Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    ROM
    Jedi Invasion

Quote Originally Posted by Wisdom View Post
    My Evo is my first Android experience and I've had Handcent for about a week and love it. I don't have a reason to look for another app. I love the customization on it, colored background or wallpaper. You can change the bubble colors. Pop up notification with quick reply. Assign specific notification for a contact, change their notification icon color for one person (I'll leave app setting at the default blue, but I change my girls icon to pink). I'm just loving it...

Someone should do a side by side comparison of the two because its a tough decision and because they both have similar features, I think it'll run come down to personal preference, just like the others in this thread have said.
    How do i do this? I cant figure it out

Global Posts
    256 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Boomh4u3r View Post
    How do i do this? I cant figure it out
    This is how I do it on my EVO:

-Go to the conversation of a contact
    -Hit the "settings" icon (top right corner) of the conversation screen

[Personalization] Menu should pop up

-Open the "Notification Settings"
    -Enter "Notification sound" to change ringtone/notification sound for when that contact sends you a message
    -Enter "Notification icon" to change the icon and/or it's color... for when that specific contact sends you a message.

[Test Notification] to see if it's to your liking....

REMEMBER: You must do this from your contacts conversation screen.

When you change your "settings" in the main group screen it defaults for the entire app, unless you have a customized one for a contact.

Hope this helps...
    Thanked by 2:
    Guatiao likes this.

Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    ROM
    Jedi Invasion

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Wisdom View Post
    This is how I do it on my EVO:

-Go to the conversation of a contact
    -Hit the "settings" icon (top right corner) of the conversation screen

[Personalization] Menu should pop up

-Open the "Notification Settings"
    -Enter "Notification sound" to change ringtone/notification sound for when that contact sends you a message
    -Enter "Notification icon" to change the icon and/or it's color... for when that specific contact sends you a message.

[Test Notification] to see if it's to your liking....

REMEMBER: You must do this from your contacts conversation screen.

When you change your "settings" in the main group screen it defaults for the entire app, unless you have a customized one for a contact.

Hope this helps...
    This worked perfect in chompsms...Thank you!

Edit, it actually didn't work. I am not sure what I was thinking...I did however download Handcent and this then worked like a charm.
    Last edited by Boomh4u3r; 06-29-2010 at 12:20 PM.

Anyone know how to change the notification for a specific contact in Chomp? I get text messages from VZW regarding the Cubs score and had a specific notification for it on my BB and I can't get the same tone to actually play when I get a text on my DX. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Global Posts
    61 Global Posts

I use chompSMS simply because it lets me both:
    Dismiss the popup, marking message as read ("Done" button)
    Dismiss the popup, leaving message unread ("Later" button)

I don't have that choice with handcent.

Have yet to try chomp. But handsent is doing just fine for me. Its a nice change over the stock sense messaging.

Default Re: Chomp SMS vs. Handcent SMS.

might try Chomp, Handcent wont show pic any more for some reason.

I have moved to Go SMS, love it. Just got a Droid Bionic, and after checking out the installed message app, I immediately downloaded Go... They've done a great job.

ROM
    Blazer 1.4 Rom

I have handcent since my og evo days. Its so much better than stock that i literally fell in love with it. I never saw a reason to consider another sms app.

Global Posts
    462 Global Posts
    ROM
    Will be rooted

Handcent for me. I have had no issues. No lag and great customization. Change it to match. Theme all the time. I dont doubt the others are great as well but im happy using Handcent.
    Resident Ringtone Maker

Global Posts
    7,013 Global Posts
    ROM
    BB JB

Chomp for the win, as it gets better and better.
    Issue I have though if I sms a number that is in my address book it displays the name and not the number. I wonder if the recipient gets the number....

Anybody else notice this?

Global Posts
    1,197 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I'm on Handcent and it may be an Android thing but the group texting is absolute garbage. If I send a text to say 3 different people in one "group" all their replies come seperate and then their replies come back as MMS in their own conversations.

I want it to be like the iPhone group SMS works where it makes the SMS kind of like a chat room.

ROM
    Blazer 1.4 Rom

Whenever i do group texting, the replies come back a an individual conversation sms. Thats fine because it is a texting (sms/mms) app, not an IM app.
    Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,271 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

Quote Originally Posted by santinelli View Post
    I have moved to Go SMS, love it. Just got a Droid Bionic, and after checking out the installed message app, I immediately downloaded Go... They've done a great job.
    Been using GO SMS for about 6 months now, ages ahead of Handcent and Chomp
    Android is all about Personal Choice: Droid RAZR HD, Droid DNA, SGSIII, SG Note 2, HTC One X+, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus4... Hating is so Apple... we're better than that!

Correcting Some of the Shared Everything Misinformation * My Phone Collection

PSA - Verizon Galaxy Nexus Signal Strength Comparison

Quote Originally Posted by BrianTufo View Post
    I'm on Handcent and it may be an Android thing but the group texting is absolute garbage. If I send a text to say 3 different people in one "group" all their replies come seperate and then their replies come back as MMS in their own conversations.

I want it to be like the iPhone group SMS works where it makes the SMS kind of like a chat room.
    You & me both. Even my ancient BB could send a message to a few at once and broadcast all replies to everyone in the chat and act as a host if you will. I've been waiting forever & Android needs this like...last year lol.

Global Posts
    1,197 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by blaine07 View Post
    You & me both. Even my ancient BB could send a message to a few at once and broadcast all replies to everyone in the chat and act as a host if you will. I've been waiting forever & Android needs this like...last year lol.
    I'm glad I'm not alone then!
    Resident Ringtone Maker

Global Posts
    7,013 Global Posts
    ROM
    BB JB

a bit OT but yeah as far as android has come there are nuances.

Screen capture without root should be built in to the OS for all devices
    Backing up apps,etc shouldn't require root access.

I remember windows mobile having the later and BB and IOS (wife has one) having the former.

How do I kill the original Messenger?

I'm using Handcent now, but when someone responds, Messenger get's hold of it. I believe I've turned everything off in Messenger and I sett all MMS and SMS as default in Handcent?
    Resident Ringtone Maker

Global Posts
    7,013 Global Posts
    ROM
    BB JB

The message will always appear in your default messenger app however you will not get notified that is there before you are doing is turning off the sound and notification that you got the message otherwise you would be notified twice.
    I use chomp but it works the same. Delete it from handscent will delete it from both apps.

Seems I was actually having no problem. The quick reply screen that pops up when a text comes in (and you are not already in the Handcent app) looks nothing like the main Handcent screen when you initiate a message. I took the quick reply screen as Messenger.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast