Medical Apps for Android

petschska

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
My wife is a Physician Assistant and I would like to get her into an Android phone (namely HTC Incredible). She has hesitations due to the seemingly lack of medical apps available on Android. We have looked around a lot at what apps are available, but

Is anyone in the medical field that does not have access to app that they wish they did? Did you move from iPhone to Android and do you feel like you're missing necessary apps?

I appreciate any insight you can provide. Thanks.

Fable

Android Rules
Nov 20, 2009
Visit site
I use Epocrates from time to time. It is getting better all the time. It unfortunately is also better on the iPhone at this time. I'm on the other side of the medical field though (the insurance company).

Apps are constantly commin out, but Android is fairly new (although very hot) to most consumers/developers.

Complex Pants

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Epocrates is available for free on Android as a beta version of Rx. I expect in the new few months for it to be upgraded to the full version with complete and regularly updating databases as it exists on the blackberry and iPhone.

Lexi-comp, or as I call it, med school in your pocket, is available for Android and is a complete version. The only downside is the yearly subscription fees are more than the full versions of Epocrates, but it also has a ton more info.

Here are the appbrain links: Lexi-Comp, Epocrates

PS. I am a medical student starting my 3rd clinical rotations and I am planning on moving to the Evo when it releases.

jackinthebox

May 15, 2010
Visit site
I am heading into my third year of medical school and have been trying to diversify my apps before hitting the wards (so I haven't tried any of these in a clinical setting yet). I have never owned an iPhone and will not, but that is more an ethical issue concerning their blatant attempts at censorship, which I cannot support. My findings on Android thus far:

Free:
Epocrates (which is free, but in beta and only available on android 1.6 or higher)
Skyscape: this has drugs, medical calculators for about everything and a fairly decent database on disease (its no Harrison's or Robbins, but its pretty good for a quick reference).
PubMed: abstracts for primary lit that link to the pub med site with access dependent upon what access you have
Medical Spanish: will actually state common questions and statements aloud with written spanish that can be read
Relief Center
Advanced Eye Charts
CPR
Medicinal herbs (not much detail at all, but may give you a start to go off if a patient is rather vague).
and I also grabbed a scientific calculator

Low price (which I haven't purchased yet, but intrigued me):
Diagnosaurus ($1) (i have used the online version of this and it is good for expanding a ddx)
EKG droid
progress Notes

Then there are all sort of subscriptions with a high price tag to various references and books that can be purchased: classics like the Red Book, Washington Manual, 5 Minute Consult, Harrison's, etc. I am waiting on these until I know what I will need once I hit the wards.

TDAY#AC

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I like iTriage. I'm just finishing my first year of medical school and it has come in handy while studying and coming up with the differential diagnoses. Also the web browser is much better than my old blackberry storm for mdconsult and the NEJM websites.

doctajay

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I am about to finish my 3rd year of med school and the apps I have found most useful are:

Lexi-Comp: This app is like having UptoDate in your pocket. It has the best pharm databaes hands down of even the full version of epocrates. Only downside is that its super expensive. But if I could afford it it would be worth every penny

Epocrates: Not the full version, only does drugs, but its good at what it does.

Skyscape: Downloaded Harrisons text book of medicine through here. I use it ocassionaly

CORE: This is an amazing app which allows you to not only get a detailed overview of orthopaedic examinations, but watch videos demonstrating it too. For those interested in ortho its perfect

Diagnosaurus: I think the hardest part of med school is forming a diferential past the 2 things you think the pt. might have. This app is awesome for that.

St. Urho

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm a paramedic and I use the PEPID EMS suite pretty much every day. It's not free, but it has the most complete pharmacology reference I've found with lots of info on mechanisms and kinetics. There's also a lot of reference info, too. They have a variety of different suites, so she could probably find one tailored to her specialty. It's well with the money, in my opinion.

trimax84

May 13, 2010
Visit site
First year surgical resident....I use epocrates regularly. Also skyscape for dynamed, archimedes, rxdrugs, outlines in clinical medicine. Thanks for the other suggestions above :)

Sozi81

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Hello everybody,
I've just developed a nice app (at least for me) that I routinely use during my own on call.
The app is for iPhone as well for Android and it is called Heart Emergency drug
Here you got the link

You will find what you need :
Drugs, flowcharts, mainly cardiology stuff.
It's not only an application for doctors but also for nurses, cardiac technicians, Consultants.

Here you have these drugcharts :
- Adrenaline, Amiodarone, Ajmaline, Fleicanide,Insuline, Nitroprussiate, Noradrenaline, Sotalol, Verapamil
and many others.
Flowcharts:
- CRT devices indication
- Stroke algorhythm
- ACLS algorhythm
- Brugada (ECG characteristics)
- VT vs SVT (how to differentiate step by step)
and many others.
Updated every 2 months.

I hope it will be useful for you

Last edited:

Bojan Savic1

Feb 17, 2015
Visit site
I like and use Digitalis. Neat and functional app that enables me to follow all the medical news and to create CPD profile. It is available for both Android: https://play.google.com/store/... and iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/ap... and it is really helping me as a medical doctor. There are great number of useful references too.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1