Need help/advice controlling home stereo.

doubleD822

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

Here's my scenario: My home network has a media server that I use for all of my music, movies, TV shows, etc. that I stream to my PS3 or other computers around the house (as well as my HTC Evo3D). Also hooked to the TV/PS3 is my home stereo system from the 80's.

I have an old PC that I used as a home server previously. I was thinking maybe there is a way to hook that up to the stereo to act as a gateway (to stream music from my main server) to make it possible to use my EVO as a remote control for the stereo. I'm not sure which apps would be good for this, I did see that Winamp I think provides this capability.

Any suggestions? Thanks so much.

joggy

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
I have a similar setup and use Airtunes via Apple's Airport Express (about $100 when I purchased mine). The Airport Express runs into an input on my AV receiver.

On the mediaserver I run iTunes. This controls the streaming to the Airport Express via Airtunes. If you have another media player you use, you can install Airfoil on the server and this will mock Airtunes streaming. Both solutions work great.

Finally on my android I use Remote For iTunes which works awesome when streaming via iTunes. There are other apps that will allow for controlling the music that don't use iTunes, but I've never used them as I've found my setup works best for me. Someone else might chime in regarding those.

hth...

jSterling

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
There is definetly apps that you can use but unless your planning on playing the music off the server PC then your going to need a hardware solution.

Sent from my Optimus V running Cynogen 7

earlthepearl

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
I've posed a similar question as well this morning, but so far no replies. To remote control your computer you can either use Microsoft's RDP protocol built into XP and 7 over your internal WiFi network, or install VNC on your host comuter, which is a similar 3rd party program that is free. Then you need an app for your phone that can do one or the other.

jSterling

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Look on the app market. There is remote clients for different media players like VLC and Winamp, I remember seeing them when I had my iPod touch so I know they must exist for android as well.

Sent from my Optimus V running Cynogen 7

doubleD822

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I've posed a similar question as well this morning, but so far no replies. To remote control your computer you can either use Microsoft's RDP protocol built into XP and 7 over your internal WiFi network, or install VNC on your host comuter, which is a similar 3rd party program that is free. Then you need an app for your phone that can do one or the other.

Right, I already use this and have a VNC app on my phone to connect, but its very clunky. A standalone app that connects thru WiFi would be ideal.

jSterling said:
Look on the app market. There is remote clients for different media players like VLC and Winamp, I remember seeing them when I had my iPod touch so I know they must exist for android as well.

Thanks for the tip, didn't think of looking for VLC.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci