Is Google really hell bent on killing off third party apps?

silverfang77

Lone Wolf
Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
If they aren't, then I'm having a hard time fathoming why the new Gmail app 2.3.5 denies access to all third party apps. As of yesterday, I can no longer use FriendCaster Pro's Gmail checker for Facebook notifications thanks to Google's new policy.

All third party Gmail checkers and widgets have been rendered useless by this move.

Seriously, what could Google have been thinking when they pulled this?

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm confused why you are using Gmail to get Facebook apps. But I can guess that Google is de-emphasizing Facebook as it attempts to gain traction with google+

silverfang77

Lone Wolf
Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
FriendCaster used Gmail for Facebook push notifications. Now that no longer works due to the Gmail app's update. It's not just FriendCaster; all third party gmail apps and widgets have been rendered non-functional.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, I used SMS Unread Widget which allows you to put widgets for gmail/sms/calls on your lockscreen(using widget locker) but now the app just crashes non stop.

=/

silverfang77

Lone Wolf
Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
I think we should all head over to Google's support forums > Android Market > Appy Talk and complain about this. I'd provide a link to the forum, but I'm not sure if that's against the rules.

DenverRalphy

Retired Network Mod
May 11, 2010
Visit site
What gives you the impression that Google went out of their way to deny access to 3rd party apps?

From my understanding, Google simply changed its methods in the Gmail app, and 3rd party apps just need to update their methods to accommodate the change. I don't think there's any reason to get bent outa shape over it.

silverfang77

Lone Wolf
Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Hey everyone,

An update to the Gmail app went out today (v2.3.5) which blocks 3rd party apps from using it’s DB (ContentResolver).

The problem is to do with its manifest:
?

<permission android:label="@string/read_perm_label" android:name="com.google.android.gm.permission.READ_GMAIL" android:protectionLevel="signature" android:permissionGroup="android.permission-group.MESSAGES" android:description="@string/read_perm_desc" />
<permission android:label="@string/write_perm_label" android:name="com.google.android.gm.permission.WRITE_GMAIL" android:protectionLevel="signature" android:permissionGroup="android.permission-group.MESSAGES" android:description="@string/write_perm_desc" />

Basically, previously an app just had to declare that they use the READ_GMAIL permission in it’s Manifest and it would all work. Now though, they’ve added the android:protectionLevel="signature" which means that only the Gmail app itself can access it’s DB (as that’s the only thing which will have the right signature).

Which means that all the Gmail notifiers, widgets, etc in the Market will not work. Ever. The same can be said for FriendCaster’s Gmail notifications feature.

Thanks Google….

Directly from Senab.co.uk, the blog that Chris Banes, the author of FriendCaster keeps, updating changes to his app.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm. This must be why navigation is now telling me that I have no contacts with addresses.

All my contacts are in exchange and not gmail.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante