Any imap email apps that use C2DM? Or, does K-9 Mail use C2DM?

imekul

Sep 22, 2009
Visit site
I'm wondering if my understanding of how K-9 Mail works is correct.

I'm guessing that it doesn't actually use C2DM for push notifications, as that would require a K-9 server that would actually handle your email accounts. Instead, it seems that the app uses IMAP just like a computer program, such as Thunderbird, would. Anyway, if this understanding is correct, then wouldn't it be possible to save battery life if K-9 used C2DM?

As an aside, is anybody aware of any email apps that do use C2DM? It would be great to have instant alerts for new emails but not take a hit in battery performance.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Re: Any imap email apps that use C2DM? Or, does K-9 Mail use C2DM

It doesn't look like it does. By default, it queries Google Mail every minute, and burned a lot of power.

I mostly use POP3, though, so it looks pretty good right now.

imekul

Sep 22, 2009
Visit site

Well, with K-9 Mail, I do receive messages instantly (through my Gmail account and through another IMAP account). I'm just wondering if theoretically, a mail app that uses C2DM could give better battery life with the same performance.

imekul

Sep 22, 2009
Visit site

I'm kind of surprised that there isn't some other good e-mail service for Android, similar to BlackBerry's BIS. Gmail works fine naturally, but for all other IMAP accounts, it seems like the only option is a battery-draining app that keeps polling.