Facebook Push Notifications - SOLVED!!!

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
maybe not coincidence, but it is definitely not a requirement to have used a BB to get notifications on android.

i do not have "Facebook for Android" in my apps list, but I do have "HTC Sense" and notifications are working for me.

But are you getting all the notifications? That's the point of this workaround. Getting notifications quickly and more consistently.

Sent from my wildheroc using Tapatalk

SouthernSaltine

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
in everyone's Authorized Applications list on Facebook do you have anything about Facebook for Android? I have HTC Sense but nothing authorizing the Android Facebook App.. that to me is a big red flag and would explain why the BB one works and the Android one doesn't.. it never asks to be authorized to access your account on this level like BB does. Anyone prove me otherwise.. Sense UI authorization I believe was only to allow it to post to your wall and read your info but if I remember correctly never gave notifications.

Just checked mine.. I have one that says DROID.... I use a Droid X and have NEVER gotten push notifications.. I come from a BB but deleted the BB app from my list when i changed over.. Guess now i should have kept it.

BrianTufo

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I just tried this and no luck. Oh well. Thanks for the tip anyways.

Edit: I logged in on a BB Torch and set it up for notifications and on FB site it shows FB for BB Smartphones and I had my wife post on my wall and no dice. FB on my phone has notifications turned on and no go.

Last edited:

slinky317

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
So I did this today, and it feels like it was just jumpstarting a dead battery. They worked for half the day, and then for some reason they totally seemed to stop again. Not exactly sure why but it's quite annoying that users of Android - the most popular smartphone OS in the United States - have to go to these lengths to get proper notifications working.

rodohmes

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I did this tonight from a friend's BB, tested wall posts and messages, and it worked PERFECTLY. Not sure what the future will hold, if it continues to work or not, but a little while is better than nothing.

Wicket

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
let's start to include what device, ROM and OS version with our posts. just so we can keep tabs on if that has anything to do with it.

Droid Incredible
OMGB 1.2.2

not working... so far

bjn714

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
After almost 2 days it is still working without incident.

Droid Incredible 2
2.3.3 Stock

I also tested it on my OG Droid and it works on it as well, running CM7. In fact both of the notifications hit both phones seconds before the email comes.

I did it using a BB Tour simulator as I posted before (although I doubt that makes any difference).

Wicket

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
let's start to include what device, ROM and OS version with our posts. just so we can keep tabs on if that has anything to do with it.

Droid Incredible
OMGB 1.2.2

not working... so far

**UPDATE**

So I woke up this morning and had a silly little icon on my notification bar I had never seen previously.. a little white sign looking thing and to my delight.. PUSH NOTIFICATIONS!! HAHA! so looks like they are working for me now. (for now?...)

How I think I got it to work.. From Facebook I did go into Account>Account Settings then on the left navigation selected [Notifications]. under the section All Notifications I clicked on [Other Applications] you might have to click the [show more] but make sure any app you want notifications from (in this case Facebook for Blackberry) is checked. I did also mess about going under each option (Facebook, Photos, Groups etc.) and make sure it was set to send me notifications, for some reason somethings I swear that were enabled weren't so I re-set everything up how I wanted and saved my settings. I doubt these other options did much but it might be worth the try and hey, they should be set how you want right?!

P.S.
I emailed the Facebook for Android Dev Team and pretty much called them out on this whole push notifications crap asking if they had a plan/eta/gave a crap.. I'm sure (at least I hope) they have received other emails about it but it's important as members of the Android community that we email devs feedback and not just give them 1* and say it's crap and doesn't work or doesn't have a feature because 99% of the devs out there don't read the comments nor is that the place for bug reporting beyond letting fellow users of a device know "hey this doesn't work for us.. might want to check back later!" Anyways, IF I hear back from them I'll pass anything along.. I just want to know why they feel things like checking in, chat and pages are more important than a v1.0 feature of letting us frakking know we have a "like" or wall post wasn't in v1.0!!

Last edited:

HES

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
I just tried this and no luck. Oh well. Thanks for the tip anyways.

Edit: I logged in on a BB Torch and set it up for notifications and on FB site it shows FB for BB Smartphones and I had my wife post on my wall and no dice. FB on my phone has notifications turned on and no go.
Try this. After making sure the BB notifications in FB are set, remove the FB app, power down, pull battery, Reinsert battery and boot, install FB app. That is what it took for me to get it working.

Wicket

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
Try this. After making sure the BB notifications in FB are set, remove the FB app, power down, pull battery, Reinsert battery and boot, install FB app. That is what it took for me to get it working.

might be able to get away with just clearing the data.. I forgot to mention in my updated post that I did that last night as well, to see if I could kick start them. just a thought.. :)

TallyHo

Junkie
Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
I tried this today and my notifications are instant. I dont even want to attempt to understand it, but am just happy I finally get notifications.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Reactions: rodohmes

saichick04

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Tried it and it worked for me!! Thank goodness my friend could get them on her Inspire with no problems and it was driving me crazy. Hooray!!! Now if only the new market would make its way to my Evo.

Wicket

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
Ok so I had a Storm2 and deleted the app when I switched to my DroidX (stock 2.3.3). Of course I no longer got notifications. So upon seeing this I grabbed my wife's Storm2 and re-added the app. I followed the procedures and nothing. Nada. Zilch, Zippo. In fact now I'm not even getting my email notifications to my Gmail account like I should be. So something is happening, I'm just not sure of what it could be. Could it be because I have SMS notifications turned on? Well lets find out.

I think I had the same thing happen to me when I first tried this, I was going through the notification settings on Facebook and noticed a lot of my notifications were unchecked for things that I am pretty sure were checked prior to my signing in with a BB.. I'd suggest checking these settings out and make sure settings are how you want and see if that changes anything..
at first this trick didn't work for me either but after fixing what notifications I get, made sure all those settings on FB were set correct and clearing the Data of the Facebook for Android app (you'll have to log back in) they started working. good luck!

maybe not coincidence, but it is definitely not a requirement to have used a BB to get notifications on android.
i do not have "Facebook for Android" in my apps list, but I do have "HTC Sense" and notifications are working for me.

I think that manufacturers UI's and integrations have a lot to do with this. I know back when I was stock on my DInc and had Sense I remember being signed into the HTC FB but never used it and used the FB for Android instead. if you're using the built in stuff that may be why. not sure if you are but it's a thought and might shed light.

I'm thinking that "Facebook for BlackBerry smartphones" as it's called is actually a generic notifications app and could be titled "Notifications for Smartphones" if app developers wanted to call it that. I think what's happening is Facebook wasn't coded properly to install this same exact app with their own title, causing a lack of notifications.

Some phones, I think, have integration that doesn't require such application installation on the Facebook site, and those users are the ones who are saying it works fine without the app...because it does.

Is there MORE functionality with the BlackBerry app installed for Android? Maybe it sends out notifications that other integrated phones don't get. Maybe it doesn't. I don't know.
I think you may be onto something here!

Also I think some people on here are miss interpreting getting a notification vs push notifications. I get notifications from the facebook app it's just it only checks at the minimum every 30 min. (I've gotten the email and already been to facebook 2 or 3 times in that time..) so by the time it is checking for things they're already gone.. also the FB app only gives notifications for Messages, Events and Friend Invites.. not Wall Posts, Comments and Likes

Last edited:

Glenn

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Worked for me. Although I had to enable notifications in the BB FB app first.

It never worked for me before. Finally I can turn off email updates from FB.

HTC Evo 4G
Rooted Sense 2.3.3 (Unrevoked on 2.2, then updated)

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
also the FB app only gives notifications for Messages, Events and Friend Invites.. not Wall Posts, Comments and Likes

Actually, it does give notifications for wall posts, comments, and even pokes. What it doesn't do is likes but it does notify within the app (you just don't get it sent to you) and the pokes are notified but you can't poke someone back in the app.

It also doesn't refresh the notifications feed properly. If it's a new person joining it'll refresh and show it but if it's a two person "conversation" that's happening, it won't.

So yeah even though notifications work, the app isn't "there" yet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463