Any Developers- I have an idea for an app.

Kratzer

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if this is possible, but I have an idea for an app- basically the app would remember the GPS location of saved WIFI hotspots and automatically turn the wifi on when inside range, and then once out, turn it off. The trick would be getting the app to work without interfering with the ability to manually turn on and off the wifi. You can have this idea, as long as the app is free or you throw me a figurative bone. :D

nalpakj

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
There are acutally a couple apps that do this already. I forget the names but they allow all kinds of settings to be changed based on events. These events include connecting/disconnecting from a power source, entering or leaving a geographic location and many others. When these events occur you can turn on/off GPS, WiFi and change many other options.

The problem with the specific feature you're looking for is that GPS is a battery hog and using only cell towers won't usually place you in a tight enough area to know when to turn on/off the WiFi. So you'd have to keep the GPS on all the time which will kill your battery which defeats part of the original purpose of managing the WiFi connection rather than just leaving it on all the time.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2