AndroidOS - Spam Messages Popping Up In the Notification Window!

the2ndflood

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I am still new to the AndroidOS, so somethings I am just not aware of. What is the deal with the spam? The spam that comes in as a (Notifications) in the Notification Window? I have been getting tons of them, almost every single day since I purchased my phone. I have apps installed that say that I don't have any malicious software on my phone, but the spam keeps coming in. Its not coming in as text messages or emails, the spam just pops up as a Notification. The most recent spam message took me to a page to join some stupid contest. The site was Newlab**** (I'm Not Going To Post The Whole Site Name). But I'm sick of getting these messages! Is there a way to block the spam Notifications? If so, please tell me how, because I am tired of being spammed.

So how are these spam messages actually coming in and is Google fighting back against these scumbag spammers?

Posted From My Sprint EVO3D Using Tapatalk -

Last edited:

watson387

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
These messages are coming from an app you have installed on your phone. Find the app and uninstall it. You won't get the notifications anymore.

Sent from my Liquid Thunderbread HTC Thunderbolt

Reactions: the2ndflood

the2ndflood

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
These messages are coming from an app you have installed on your phone. Find the app and uninstall it. You won't get the notifications anymore.

Sent from my Liquid Thunderbread HTC Thunderbolt

I have AVG Pro installed, along with some other apps that say I don't have that type of spam software on my phone. I don't know what app could be causing the spam notices, if it is coming from an installed app. How can I tell what app could be causing this?

baseballfanz

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
when did it start happening? think back to what apps you install around that time.
you can use titanium backup to freeze certain app to narrow it down.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

coolbreeze

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Go back and read the reviews of the apps you have installed. All most could guarantee you'll find complaints from others.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

the2ndflood

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Post which apps you've downloaded, and we can help narrow it down.

I have a lot of apps installed; too many to list, but there is some apps that are currently running in the background that I have had on my phone since I was first spammed. So here is a list of the apps currently running in the background, that have been on my phone since almost day one, that seem the most suspicious.

Cartoon Network HD (This App Is Junk And Is The Most Suspicious. I Have Already Uninstalled It.)
Advance Task Killer Free
Mr. Number
NetTalk
Memory Booster Lite
History Eraser

Most of the other apps running in the background are for services that I either trust, or that are newer and were installed after I started getting spammed. I have had this phone for over two weeks and for more then half of that time I have been getting spammed daily. I can post a complete list of all running apps if need be.

Can a spamming app also be one that doesn't run in the background, but rather just opens up, spams, then turns off again? That would make finding the spamming app much more difficult.

Last edited:

the2ndflood

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Try this app (Airpush is the service pushing ads to the device)
This will try to track it down
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.brosmike.airpushdetector&hl=en

Thanks for letting me know about this app! When I ran the AirPush Detector, I was told there is no apps on my phone that use those type of ads. But when I reinstalled the Cartoon Network HD app, I was told by AirPush Detector that the Cartoon Network HD software uses that type of ad. So my spam could have been caused by that stupid HD app! I'm going to report the app to Google and hope they remove it from their market place. Hopefully I won't get anymore spam. I will be able to tell within a day or two if removing the HD app stopped all the spam that I have been getting. Thanks again for everyone's help!

Last edited:

baseballfanz

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
While annoying,I don't thimk it's against Google's policy. Airpush service is put in by the app's developer.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

the2ndflood

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I haven't had anymore spam since removing that Cartoon Network HD app, and I see that Google has removed the app from their marketplace; so that is great news. It is just crazy that all of those annoying spam messages, came from 1 app on my phone. Now I know to be more careful when downloading Android apps.

Catch88

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Re: AndroidOS - Spam Messages Popping Up In the Notification Wind

I have a lot of apps installed; too many to list, but there is some apps that are currently running in the background that I have had on my phone since I was first spammed. So here is a list of the apps currently running in the background, that have been on my phone since almost day one, that seem the most suspicious.

Cartoon Network HD (This App Is Junk And Is The Most Suspicious. I Have Already Uninstalled It.)
Advance Task Killer Free
Mr. Number
NetTalk
Memory Booster Lite
History Eraser

Hi I was having the same problem with my phone after scanning your list one of your apps sounded like an app I had recently installed, "Memory Booster +" I uninstalled it and voila, it removed one of the notifications right along with it.

I think Memory Booster Lite is your problem app.

Good Luck!!:cool:

the2ndflood

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Hi I was having the same problem with my phone after scanning your list one of your apps sounded like an app I had recently installed, "Memory Booster +" I uninstalled it and voila, it removed one of the notifications right along with it.

I deleted that app when I removed the Cartoon Network HD app. So hopefully if that memory app is spam, that it will stop spamming me now that it is no longer on my phone. Thanks for the tip though! I haven't had anymore spam notices since removing those two apps. At least the memory app had a function, the HD app was totally useless. Producing spam is a weak move on a developers part, but what balls does it take to create an app that doesn't work at all, except in creating spam for the user?

Posted Using My Sprint HTC EVO3D Using Tapatalk -

mkjolly1

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site

I just got the Thunderbolt on Saturday, October 8th and I've been getting these spam notifications. When I called Verizon, they told me to try and delete any app that might be new to me, and to uncheck the allow cookies box. But I think it might be app related. I had the MP3 Music downloader and some Family Guy Soundboards that were new to me. So maybe if u have some of the same apps as I do, then we could narrow it down. The weird thing is that they're not coming in as texts or emails, they're direct links notifications.

mkjolly1

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site

I have the advance Task Killer too. So let me know if you uninstall the memory boost if that works for u, because I had adance task killer on my incredible phone and never had this problem.

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Do you have any instant messaging apps like LiveProfile?
I read a while back where someone said they were getting a lot of spam from it.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

the2ndflood

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Do you have any instant messaging apps like LiveProfile?
I read a while back where someone said they were getting a lot of spam from it.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

No I just have the messenger apps that came with phone, like AIM. Do you think AIM could also be causing spam? I actually started to great the spam notices again, but this time they are coming from Evernote. I deleted the stupid app and the notification spam are still here. So I can't trust any app, because even the most mundane app can be used for spamming.

Posted Using My Sprint HTC EVO3D Using Tapatalk -

uscburrito

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

had the same problems!!! everything you need is HERE: Spam in Notification Bar

i ran AirpushDetector, but didn't want to uninstall the apps it found. instead, i chose to manually opt out of AirPush notifications as instructed by user Chook at the forum linked above:

「These ads could be sent to you by Airpush "Push Notification Ads for Android". Try opting out by entering your phone's IMEI number at Airpush - Android Ad Network | Push Notification ad network | Mobile Ad network | Android app monetization
(Choose manual opt out)

I had one ad each day next to a white star with a red circle in the middle which was really annoying. I didn't ever find which app had caused them. When I opted out, the ads stopped.

To find out your IMEI Number, dial *#06#
(Here's a website about IMEI numbers How to Find the IMEI Number on a Mobile Phone - wikiHow ) 」