Barcode Scanner+ released [App]

srowen

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Hello all, I'm one of the two core developers of Barcode Scanner for Android.

We've decided to try a "freemium" model to support more development. There is now a for-pay version called Barcode Scanner+ which offers a number of often-requested features.

The new features are...

• New image processing algorithm for detection of 1D barcode formats, including UPC and EAN product codes
  • Uses both cores of dual-core processors
  • Optionally, scan for Aztec and PDF417 barcodes
  • Rewritten to take advantage of Java 6, Android 2.2+ APIs, and latest Android SDK features
  • Now scan in tall "portrait" orientation, in addition to "landscape" orientation
  • More intuitive pattern-based scanning guide
  • Streamlined and improved user interface elements
  • Honeycomb and tablet device support
  • Expanded Help screens
  • Decode a barcode from an image file
  • Option to scan light-on-dark barcodes
  • Activate device's LED light to scan in low light
  • Basic support for scanning NFC tags

There's also a version that removes most functionality that requires special permission, Barcode Scanner+ Simple.

I hope to use this as a means to power more development of the core open-source app, Barcode Scanner, which most certainly is alive and well and will see more enhancements and improvements as a result of this.

See site at Barcode Scanner+.

screenshot-1d-portrait-126x190.png

screenshot-qr-landscape-285x190.png

chart

mrgeee

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Hi srowen,
I'm a noob and just beginning to learn programing. Your bar code reader sounds like an app that I could use. I have a few question you might be able to help me with. I am not interested in using it for shopping or price comparisons. What I am looking for is just the ability to read bar codes for inventory purposes. I would like to be able to connect to a tablet with a pen bar code scanner and have the item information/time/date saved to an office program for downloading after completion. Are either of your programs capable of doing this or would I be able to tweek it for my purposes? If not can you point me in the right direction please. Any help would be appreciated as I said, I'm very new and just starting out with an idea of my own in which a bar code reader is part of the puzzle.
Thanks

srowen

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
This is actually equally applicable to the original Barcode Scanner app and underlying zxing open source project (zxing - Multi-format 1D/2D barcode image processing library with clients for Android, Java - Google Project Hosting). You could ask and look for others to comment and help at https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/zxing

But the short answer is that the whole purpose of this app and the original Barcode Scanner is to scan barcodes with your camera. You want to scan with an external accessory, so it's not the same thing really.

There is an API from Android 3.1 onward for interacting with USB devices, so yes you could probably build a tablet app (because tablets are Android 3.2 generally) that uses a USB-based scanner to do what you want. But it's not related to Barcode Scanner, not directly.

mrgeee

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the quick reply. I will look in the direction you've pointed me to and keep ding my research.
One last question on scanning the bar codes with the camera, does it actually read them or are they just jpgs that are then read by the program?
Thanks again for answering and sharing your knowledge with a beginner.

Galane

May 19, 2011
Visit site
I just want a free app capable of reading PDF417. I've seen that code format on driver's licenses and on some mailing labels.

A single purpose PDF417 reader would be perfect for checking IDs at bars and other 18+ age limited locations and events.

But so far the only free app capable of reading PDF417 (that actually can read it in its FREE version) is blocked from being downloaded in the USA. It's from some outfit in Thailand and the website is in Thai and English. I managed to find a direct Market link, which is where I got the not available in your country message.

I just want to know what is encoded on the back of the driver's license in my wallet.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1