Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts

Default Want EVO hardware, prefer weboS. What Android apps would you switch for?

I'm really hot for the Evo but after doc31 hands on, he said he's in no hurry to switch from a Pre.

The one reason I'm planning to switch is for the bigger screen and better performance, 4G is just a nice to have. If Palm comes out with new phone similar to Evo hardware soon, the only other reason for me to switch is the assumption there are better apps for Andoid. Operationally, webOS is clearly better than Android especially with one-handed operation, but it's short on apps.

What Android apps are must haves that aren't on webOS? I've scanned the market and not really finding anything appealing.

I found the barcode scanner surprisingly useful.

Google goggles is great for scanning the contact info from business cards.

Shazaam can be useful for song identification.

The Google voice app with it's integration is great if you have a google voice number.

There are a quite a few different virtual keyboards that you can install and choose between.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts

Just about all google services are on webOS directly or indirectly or likely will be soon. Bar code scanning and song ID sound appealing. Now that Palm is releasing the PDK, these can now be developed. What else is unique on Android?

Barcode scanning on the Pre will not work reliably. The lack of auto-focus kills that.
    There was/is a couple and it could never recognize that there was even a barcode in the photo.

IMO TaskOS is a must. It's not really a matter of what's in the Market that not in the App Catalog. It's everything in the App Catalog is in the market plus a whole lot more.
    Evo4G. Now with more Internet.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts

Isn't auto focus on most Android phones digital? If so, you'd think Pre focus could be added via software. Would expect next device to have it.

Still perusing the Market and not finding anything appealing that webOS doesn't have. Seems 80-90% of all smartphone apps are just app versions of web sites. While an app is nice, many things can still be accomplished via the browser, and webOS allows you to assign a web link as an 'app'.

Would like to hear from Pre users who have switch to Android. No need to discuss hardware, we know Android better in that category... but what software is worth switching for?

ROM
    Stock-ish

In my opinion, just about all "must have" software for smartphones is already available for all smartphones or they would have failed horribly (much more horribly than the Pre).

Messaging, alarms, reminders, email, web browser, gps, camera, and of course a phone app.

All the rest is gravy. So it comes down to hardware.

I know my choice of phone was heavily hardware influenced. If there was an iPhone with a hardware keyboard and removable battery, I might have ended up with an iPhone. If the Pre had a bigger screen, I might have ended up with a Pre. If the Droid didn't have sharp corners, I might have ended up with a Droid. So I have a Samsung Moment, and as of yet no phone has come out that I would be willing to switch to (hardware keyboard is a must for me).
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,393 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 7 / Incredikernel .37

Quote Originally Posted by xenophon View Post
    Just about all google services are on webOS directly or indirectly or likely will be soon. Bar code scanning and song ID sound appealing. Now that Palm is releasing the PDK, these can now be developed. What else is unique on Android?
    that is true. google releases all of their apps on all smart phones or at least attempts to (mac doesn't seem to like some of their apps and completely throw them back and google with a little kick in the nuts). the only thing is just like any other phone's direct party apps, they usually work best and are developed more thoroughly for their specific hardware. Look at google voice, yes it is available on a lot of different phones but it works best on android phones. a lot of their apps revolve around working through googles system which is why they are pretty quick with loading and function.

with all of this said, i could be wrong in the future but at the current point they work better with android phones. plus on top of that many other in house OS developers (Rim, Mac, Nokia, Palm (HP i guess now) really do not want to contribute to Google success because it is a direct competitor. Android phones are like that kid in high school who was really smart but got his lunch money taken from him every day, got beat up a lot and given a wedgie here and there. Nobody had high expectation for Android. Now everybody is like SON OF A B*$#@, so who knows how willingly they will add google's in house apps.

The google apps are generally more feature rich on Android. Plus voice search and navigation are exclusive to Android. Also Android apps run much faster than those on the Pre. And with so many more apps available you're not stuck with a limited choice. For example search the market for a notepad or music player and you're presented with lots to pick from instead of being stuck with one or two. Android devs also tend to update very often.

I had the same feeling when I switched a while ago. Trust me, once you get used to the way Android works you will not look back.

Global Posts
    22 Global Posts

I switched from the Pre to the Evo. And for me it was both the size and speed plus the number of apps available. I loved WebOS it is the most intuitive OS I have seen but I just don't see it going anywhere any time soon. The CEO of HP even said that they didn't care to be in the smartphone business. It just feels like the Pre is going the way of BetaMax. In many ways it was as good and in some ways better than VHS but marketing won out. If in a year or so that changes, I'll gladly switch back.

As far as my favorite apps so far. Bump, Cardio Trainer, Google Sky Map, and Solo Lite( a guitar app) but I have only had it two days and spent all day yesterday driving.

Global Posts
    2,343 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7/MazWoz on Evo

Quote Originally Posted by xenophon View Post
    I'm really hot for the Evo but after doc31 hands on, he said he's in no hurry to switch from a Pre.

The one reason I'm planning to switch is for the bigger screen and better performance, 4G is just a nice to have. If Palm comes out with new phone similar to Evo hardware soon, the only other reason for me to switch is the assumption there are better apps for Andoid. Operationally, webOS is clearly better than Android especially with one-handed operation, but it's short on apps.

What Android apps are must haves that aren't on webOS? I've scanned the market and not really finding anything appealing.
    I have both and Evo and a Pre and I will say I actually find it easier to use the Evo one handed than the Pre, but that may be me. Ok, here are a few apps, that I love, and wish the Pre had something similar.

Barcode Scanner/Shopsavvy
    Network Speed
    Multiple Software keyboards
    Market Catalog sync app.
    Multiple Music player (including Double Twist)
    Layar
    Gmail app is so much better than the Pre mail app. I was skeptical, but it is really nice
    Shazam
    Folders (not an app, but really nice for the UI)

There are other things I really like about android too that WebOS doesn't have, but those aren't apps.

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

Coming from My Pre the only thing I miss is Roam Only hack and the Email client on the Pre. If I could find an email client like the pre's I would pay good money for it. Other than that, and maybe the homebrew hacking that was going on with the pre, I am liking my EVO. If i was just using gmail i would be good but i run 1 Imap 1 Exchnage 2 gmails. Nothing works like the Pre.

Global Posts
    2,343 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7/MazWoz on Evo

The unified email box was nice. I wish Google or someone would make an email client like that. However, I find the new email clients much, much faster than the Pre's, even when overclocked to 800MHz.

Maybe I am getting lazy, but constantly fiddling with the Pre to make it work right, really got old. I am hoping I don't run into anything like that on the Evo.
    Addicted 2 Mobile Gadgets

Global Posts
    553 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tacatc View Post
    I switched from the Pre to the Evo. And for me it was both the size and speed plus the number of apps available. I loved WebOS it is the most intuitive OS I have seen but I just don't see it going anywhere any time soon. The CEO of HP even said that they didn't care to be in the smartphone business. It just feels like the Pre is going the way of BetaMax. In many ways it was as good and in some ways better than VHS but marketing won out. If in a year or so that changes, I'll gladly switch back.

As far as my favorite apps so far. Bump, Cardio Trainer, Google Sky Map, and Solo Lite( a guitar app) but I have only had it two days and spent all day yesterday driving.
    Couldn't have said it better. I'm a long-time Palm loyalist and got my Pre on launch day a year ago, but I am really happy with my Evo after only a few days. Not only is the hardware amazing, I am finding Android very smooth and it seems to have plenty of momentum as far as OS and app development. Still exploring apps, though, so I can't comment too much on that just yet. My recommendation: get the Evo!

ME
    Mark A. Einersen
    Galaxy S5 « Galaxy S4 « Galaxy S3 « Epic Touch (Galaxy S2) « Galaxy Tab 10.1 « Evo 4G « Treo 755p « Treo 650 « Tungsten|T3 « Clie NR70 « m505 « Vx « Palm Pilot Pro « Zaurus ZR-3500 « Digital Diary SF-4000 & SF-1000
    (Wife: S5 « Nexus « S3 « Evo « Pixi « Centro « m105)

Evo for the win. I had a Pre. The Pre truly feels like a toy even for the 3 weeks I had an HTC Hero. Now that I have the Evo, there is no comparison. And yes, it is easier to use with one hand than the Pre.

Too many things to list and no, many of the apps are not just glorified webpages. Widgets are awesome and the so many ways in which you can customize is awesome. For anyone who can come from Pre and use the Evo for a week or so to get used to it, there is on comparison... IMHO... no comparison. From the way things are going, I can not imagine how WebOS can possibly survive. Android based phones are so so far ahead and iPhone is continuing to step things up as well.

WebOS now needs to come with at least a significantly larger screen, improved camera with auto focus, and numerous new APIs (this is where they are really behind!).

I'd totally switch for Pickup Sports but I've already released on Pre =P

Global Posts
    25 Global Posts

Some of the apps that I didn't have on Pre that I have now:

Dropbox
    LogMeIn
    Mint
    Music Junk
    GTalk

I think I use my phone more now than I did with the Pre. The Pre was just so sluggish and then when they added that stupid app loading when launching an app it just seemed to take even longer.