best calendar app pay or free?

enduser2941

May 8, 2011
www.rsfsquad.org
Hey guys,

I have been using Jorte for a while now, and while I like it's ease of use and its seemless integration with google calendar, Im just starting to get annoyed as to how ugly it is. So I was curious, what would be a better calendar app that has all the same features such as integration with google calendar, simple to use, add events, and tasks with alarm ect and that I could export out of jorte and import into the new app, and looks nice and functions even better?

I mean for the price of the apps being around and under $5 I don't mind paying for it, but I don't want to lose anything thats currently in calendar as for as events and all. What do you guys use and do you have any screen shots as I would like to see what it looks like (please black out any personal information if including pics) I would also like it to have some nice widgets with at least a month in a view widget. The other thing I like with jorte is that the widget can change its view on the fly, so when you go to the desktop that has the widget, you can press a button and change the view from a month to week to bi-weekly ect with out having to replace the widget each time.

Any thoughts would be great. Thanks!

SAENZ_SCENE

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I like using Pure grid calendar widget. Its not free but for me it was worth the price. Has many widget sizes and themes. You can make widgets transparent as well. I like the timeline view and notifications. Tons of customization. You can have scrollable widget as well if using a launcher replacement. Im using the white for now just to match my theme.

enduser2941

May 8, 2011
www.rsfsquad.org
Hey that looks way better the Jorte :) Ill have to take a look at that one and see if I can find more info about it.
At this point I dont care if I have to pay for it because for free Jorte is about as best as you get and while its functional, I just dont like it lol.

Im sure Ill find this out from looking it up but does pure grid sync with google calendar? and can I export from Jorte into it? Anyway thanks for the info.

Someone once said that Business Calendar was the way to go, but since it said Business infront I figured it would have more features then I need, but I dunno. I need all the scheduling aspects for my Dr appts, med days, birthdays, family events ect... Plus one thing Jorte had but it didnt work well was you could create templates for new events, so if you had an event you were constantly having to put over and over you could add a new event and then use the template to fill in all the details so you didnt have to configure it each time..

enduser2941

May 8, 2011
www.rsfsquad.org
Jorte is beautiful IMO.

Good luck.

Ok, it's not that bad, but the colors are pretty bad for me, and while it's all configurable, it's to configurable. I tried to change a couple colors and it took me over 20 minutes just to figure out which color was for what. But there are also a few other things, like the templates that I am finding don't seem to be working. I created a new template but nothing I set in the template is staying in it when I select that template to use it again, it's like I have to go back and input all the information in for every time I use the template.

So again, I am just looking for something that will replace it, however noone is mentioning whether the apps your suggesting sync with google, or any of the other things Im looking for. I could go and get a list of all the calendar app, but guys Im asking you to help tell me if all these that you use do what Im needing them to do :( Could you please give me a little more info then just "I like this app"? lol

Thanks!

SAENZ_SCENE

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Pure grid calendar widget does sych with google calendar. Its very easy to add events from the widget homescreen. You set up notifications for events which you get a reminder the same way you receive a text message. It will notify you until you dismiss it. It uses the sound you use for your notifications.
The exporting from jorte i am not sure to be honest. I will check that out.
You can also change views by just tapping on the widget selection on top. You can go from momth view which i have on picture i posted above, to week view and day view. It has four selections. Settings, add event, switch views and refresh. Hope this helps. If you have any other questions let me know. :)

enduser2941

May 8, 2011
www.rsfsquad.org
Yep, thats EXACTLY the type of reply I was hoping for... Thanks a bunch SAENZ_SCENE. If I can't export out of Jorte its not that bad because it will sync with google calendar so all my updates would just come from there... Thanks man, finally someone actually read my post lol. Most appreciated! I will definitely check this out, it sounds like this may be exactly what I was looking for.

PossumPete

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
I use Business Calendar because I wanted to see the Agenda view first always (native calendar doesn't do that) and I really like the way it looks.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
this is ugly?????? i love Jorte. so clean and simple. just like a paper calendar. no other app comes close IMO.

jorte_en17.png

Polish Prince

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
You've got to try Gemini Calendar. There is a free (ad) version available in the Market. To purchase ($5) you will use Paypal. The colors are awesome but the UI will blow you away. Remember when trying it out that once you pay for the full version, all ads (including the Gemini ad at the top) are gone.

Dev is great & responsive to input. I don't use the widgets that come with it. There are better calendar widgets out there.

You can make appts on the fly with special shortcuts that fill out the location field (and other fields) automatically as long as the person is in your address book already.

HIGHLY RECOMMEND GEMINI!!!

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using TapaTalk. Kay pof

Reactions: Gator5220

enduser2941

May 8, 2011
www.rsfsquad.org
this is ugly?????? i love Jorte. so clean and simple. just like a paper calendar. no other app comes close IMO.

Click to view quoted image

Yeah, but sorry I do lol. The manoj (if there is such a word maybe I just made that up) is what I find ugly. I dont like all the colors all over the place. I just want a simple plain jane color combination without having to sit and figure out all the different options for color and what they are for ect ect, I want my important items red holidays blue and everything else black or something like that. In the scrn shot you got there you have like almost 15 colors for one month, thats over kill for me.

Seems like I will be checking out pure grid and gemini, although prince you didnt mention if it can sync with google. I swear people really do not read threads before they post in them. So far SAENZ_SCENE is the only one that took the time to read and respond to my original question. Everyone else is just throwing out names which is of little use for me. I mean I appreciate the thought and I know you want to get your post counts higher, but please, just once, try reading before posting.

THANKS

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
There are lots of colors in the screenshot example because there are multiple calendars being shown - a color for each calendar - just like Gmail does! Colors can also be changed in the settings.

Good luck.

enduser2941

May 8, 2011
www.rsfsquad.org
It's Ok Gekko, Im not trying to say there is anything wrong with Jorte as a whole, since that is what I am using right now. I was just hoping to find something a little more streamlined for me thats all, and I know the colors are all configurable, but part of my frustration is that they are too configurable, like when you go into colors, there are like 30 or so different colors you can adjust, and that just gets too confusing for me. I just want something that has some nice themes or whatever, sync with google and just a little more stream lined. In all honesty for being a free no ad app, Jorte is phenomenal and I am not knocking it at all. I personally love it for free. Maybe I should easy everyones mind who uses Jorte by saying, I'm just looking for something different :) Sound better? :D

Gator5220

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I gotta say, I'm pretty impressed with that Gemini Calendar. I'm going to use it for a few days and see how it goes. That's a good find.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I just like the standard HTC one my self. I only use it with my Google calendar for work and play. I guess it depends on what ya need it for.