[New Feature: Touch Indicator] Screencast Video Recorder

mediasol

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Market Link:https://market.android.com/details?id=com.ms.screencast

Purpose of this thread:
This thread will serve as one-stop-shop for all bug reports, feature requests and general questions and inquiries.

Table of contents:

1. What is Screencast Video Recorder
  2. Features
  3. Known bugs/issues
  4. Requested features
  5. Latest release notes

What is Screencast Video Recorder:
Screencast Video Recorder is a "demonstration" tool for devices running Android 2.2+. SVR can record the device's screen and encode it into an MPEG4 video, as well as taking screenshots in JPEG, BMP or PNG formats. There are two versions of SVR in the market, a free and a paid version.
Screencast is available on Google's Android Market and AndroidPIT's App Center.

Features:
  • Video Screen Capture
  • Live narration while recording
  • Screenshots
  • Gallery Interface
  • Benchmark Tool
  • Home screen widgets

Known Bugs/Issues:
  • Tegra 2 devices: This is not really a bug, but an inherit problem with Tegra 2 devices. Screencast is built using NEON instruction set for the most part, and as such, requires a device that has NEON capability. Nvidia decided to not include NEON support in their Tegra 2 devices.
  • Video cannot be played: (Workaround: Use MoboPlayer to play your recordings)
    This is a problem with native video players on some devices. Some video players can only play video files with standard sizes/dimensions. Screencast recordings inherit the device's screen dimensions at High quality setting, and half the dimensions at Normal quality setting.
    Certain video players, like MoboPlayer, can play any video file and do not make assumptions about the video's dimensions.
  • Recorded videos do not appear in SVR's Gallery: This is an intermittent bug and happens rarely, a fix is on the way.
  • Application Install Error/Corrupt Settings: This happens if SVR was moved to external storage. Right now SVR can only be installed on the internal memory, and will not function properly otherwise. In case it was moved to external storage, it is necessary to uninstall first then re-install from the market.

Requested features:

• Install to SD
  • Record system audio
  • Option to change default save folder

Latest release notes:
New feature announcement: Time-lapse recording (v2.9)

Timelapse allows you to record lengthy illustrations into a time-compressed video.
Scenarios where this mode would be desirable:
  • Record yourself speed paiting/drawing on your phone or tablet.
  • Can beat a game in 40mins? Record it all into a 10min video.
  • Record up to 15hours of activity into a 1 hour video.

Here is an artist beta testing this new feature:
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSF6UUaMqYE[/YT]

Last edited:

lucfig

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Re: Screencast Video Recorder Official Discussion Thread

Seems to be a great app. Unfortunately I have an LG Optimus 2x (Tegra2), so it does not work.

I will test it with my Milestone next weekend.

I have an feature request.

Would be possible to create a streaming link instead of recording, so I can see my phone from any player/web browser in my network?

I am asking this because I want to mirror my device screen to my TV. I think ask for DLNA support would be too much, so the requst is for streaming video to a link in the network.

Thanks.

mediasol

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site

This was one of the features I wanted in SVR back in the design/beta phase. However, it got dropped because there seemed to be very little user interest in it.

disturbed1

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site

This app is AWESOME! It doesn't like my HP TouchPad with CM7 though. When the phone is in Landscape, it still records in Portrait. It's ok, because it's just Alpha and it could be an issue with the rom. (It uploaded, and you had to break your neck to see it. But youtube lets you "rotate" your videos, so that's what I did so that people didn't have to turn their monitors sideways to see it)

Last edited:

mediasol

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site

This app is AWESOME! It doesn't like my HP TouchPad with CM7 though. When the phone is in Landscape, it still records in Portrait.

What happens if you force the video to an orientation from the Settings menu (Rotate Left/Right)?

mobilemodz

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site

Hello Mediasolutions,

Love the app so far, I need to make edits on the computer and publish the video in the same resolution. Do you know how to have this done? I have tried everything that I can think of.

Thank you.

brownhornet

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site

Only gripe I really had was the fact that I couldn't record on screen video with it. Like I was trying to use it to record my nephew on qik but it just showed a black screen after I recorded it.

mediasol

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site

Only gripe I really had was the fact that I couldn't record on screen video with it. Like I was trying to use it to record my nephew on qik but it just showed a black screen after I recorded it.

There is a secure area in memory where the video players can play DRMed video files. Screencast does not attempt to record from there for obvious reasons. Some video players use that memory for any kind of video file, and apparently Qik uses it too, maybe for privacy reasons.

mediasol

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site

Hello Mediasolutions,

Love the app so far, I need to make edits on the computer and publish the video in the same resolution. Do you know how to have this done? I have tried everything that I can think of.

Thank you.

The files are stored on your sdcard in "Screencast" directory. Assuming your video dimensions are standard (see FAQs in the first post), or you are using a video editing software which can read both standard and non-standard video dimensions, then you should have no problems making edits.

mediasol

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site

Any chance to make this work with tegra2 devices?

There are a few snags which prevent Screencast from working on Tegra 2 devices. The exclusion of NEON is one, the other being the non-standard way Nvidia manage their video framebuffer (the memory region which stores the pixels to be displayed).
This makes supporting Tegra2 devices a project of itself, but even then recording will be limited to less than 10 frames per second. NEON, for encoding (and decoding), means 5x-16x faster processing.

mobilemodz

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site

The files are stored on your sdcard in "Screencast" directory. Assuming your video dimensions are standard (see FAQs in the first post), or you are using a video editing software which can read both standard and non-standard video dimensions, then you should have no problems making edits.

I understand that, however when I try to upload the video to a blog post on a wordpress. Could you direct me to some of the tools you use to edit/play the videos?

mobilemodz

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site

What happens when you try to upload?

I cannot get the video to play, and when I go into PowerDirector I can not edit the video. It just shows a black screen. Could you show us all an example of an edited Screencast video and upload it? I think that would be invaluable and really help us all out. Thank you!

mediasol

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site

Email me a sample video so I can check it out. Video editing works fine for me, I use PiTiVi on Ubuntu. I think it may have to do with your video (and phone screen) dimensions.

mobilemodz

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site

I cannot find your email address, can you PM or post it and I will send you a demo asap. Thanks!

mediasol

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site

New Project - YouTube
Here's your sample video edited and uploaded. Make sure you have MPEG4 codecs installed, other than that I do not know why your editing software cannot open the files.

harisn

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site

What is the 50% discount on the app? :) And the app has stopped working for me. It used to work fine till a few days ago. Now it gets stuck on, "Waiting for service...". I even sent you a report email.

mediasol

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site

What is the 50% discount on the app? :) And the app has stopped working for me. It used to work fine till a few days ago. Now it gets stuck on, "Waiting for service...". I even sent you a report email.

I just responded to your email why your app stopped working.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maximusdebois