2.2 users: Any improvement in Google Voice or Gmail

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone running 2.2 seen any improvement in the Google Voice app? (I would love to see my outgoing calls use my dataplan and not my minutes).

Also the default Gmail App is pretty poor, considering its Google's own. Have you guys seen any improvement in that, or does anyone have a recommendation for a better gmail app for Android from the market?

diverbelow

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone running 2.2 seen any improvement in the Google Voice app? (I would love to see my outgoing calls use my dataplan and not my minutes).

Also the default Gmail App is pretty poor, considering its Google's own. Have you guys seen any improvement in that, or does anyone have a recommendation for a better gmail app for Android from the market?

The Google Voice app should be going VoIP sometime this year. As for the gmail app, there are improvements, which I seen on a youtube video.

Genetic_Bloom

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
What do you mean it doesn't handle attachments? I'm just sent myself a word file to test it out and was able to open it fine and edit it in Docs to Go. I'm also able to grab anything off my phone or SD card and attach it and send it out so it seems to be fine with attachments for me.

indianajonze

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
i believe froyo updated the google talk app (though i have no idea what the updates actually were), but i've not heard anything about the other two apps you mentioned

nightfishing#AC

May 3, 2010
Visit site
What do you mean it doesn't handle attachments? I'm just sent myself a word file to test it out and was able to open it fine and edit it in Docs to Go. I'm also able to grab anything off my phone or SD card and attach it and send it out so it seems to be fine with attachments for me.

OI adds the function to the gmail app.

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
If GV was going VOIP with Froyo it wouldn't be something that just slippped by. There would definitely be major discussion on it already.

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I'd like to see both email apps re-size HTML to fit into the window like the browser and the IPHONE does, vs having to scroll.. thats all i want.

frunkiss

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
I would love to see my outgoing calls use my dataplan and not my minutes

Google Voice is not a VoIP application. I haven't seen anything that says they plan to make it one, but I'm sure Verizon and other carriers would be against that idea.

If you have the Friends & Family feature on your plan for the time being you can get an Google Voice Dialer app (cpedia Mobile) and set it up. I Then set up your Google Voice number as one of your Friends & Family numbers. Then go to your Google Voice Account (Full site) and configure the following:

Settings >> Calls >> (Select) Display my Google Voice number >> Save Changes

When you make a call the Google Voice dialer app on your handset, the app will call your own Google Voice number, enter the number you're calling, then call you back. Since your Google Voice number is on your calling circle, you get unlimited minutes.

Downside is that you will see your own Google Voice number on your caller ID and not the person calling you if you get inbound calls.

I have the 900 minute plan and last month I used 3 anytime minutes. The rest were from Google Voice.

frunkiss

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Source?
Acquiring companies doesn't mean they plan on doing VoIP in my opinion. It just means they want to acquire successful businesses that can compete with their services or that can be bought by other companies (Apple, see Admob).
It's power moves in business.

I haven't heard of plans of Google voice to do VoIP. And I dont see it coming to their mobile platform as long as they deal with carriers. Carriers make money on the data and minutes. And make a killing on text messages. I dont see this happening.

I may be wrong, but I'd like to see a source for that rumor.

derekj

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I have the same problem. When I use the Gmail application, if I try to add an attachment, it only shows the photo albums and videos on my phone (HTC Incredible) to select, despite the fact that I have a folder with some MS Word and PDF files on the phone. I can open them in Documents to Go and from there select "send via email", but that is a Docs to Go function, not a GMail Function. How do I attach anything else besides photos?

Also, when I receive attachments to the Gmail app, my only option is to PREVIEW them, not to download them. If I preview them in Docs to Go, I have the option to save them, but again, that is a Doc to Go feature, not a Gmail feature (the paid version of Doc to Go at that).

I don't know how any of this is with the HTC email app because I only use the Gmail app at this time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool