Any way to link Google Maps on the web to Android app?

AJFSTORM

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
I often like to use Google Maps on my computer to find directions. They have a 'Send" button so you can send the directions to a GPS unit such as a Garmin or TomTom. Is there a similar way to send it to an Android phone rather than to just email it?

Argent

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
You could just use Google maps on your Android Phone - or the Navigation app to do that and skip using the computer all together.

AJFSTORM

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
I know it's just easier and faster sometimes to use the computer. I guess emailing the link isn't that difficult, I just wondered if there was a direct link to the app.

Last edited:

Pipester

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
GMaps syncs data to you phone. What I mean by that is, if you are on your computer (signed into google) and you type in a location within seconds if you start typing the same address in Maps on your phone it will come up as a recently entered location.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
GMaps syncs data to you phone. What I mean by that is, if you are on your computer (signed into google) and you type in a location within seconds if you start typing the same address in Maps on your phone it will come up as a recently entered location.

That's a cool tip, that I didn't know existed.

AJFSTORM

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
Good ideas guys. But seeing as how Google is now in the phone business, and everything is linked through Google (gmail,contacts,calendar etc.)I think they should have a "Send to my Android Phone" button. :)

I also had a problem with sending an email link from the Google maps on-line to my phone. When I clicked on it and had it open in Gmaps, it couldn't find the destination address (even though it did so just fine on my desktop). I think what happens is that rather than just sending the entire route that I chose, the Android GMaps goes through the process of looking up the route itself but may not have access to as large a database as the on-line version.

Last edited:

applejosh

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Good ideas guys. But seeing as how Google is now in the phone business, and everything is linked through Google (gmail,contacts,calendar etc.)I think they should have a "Send to my Android Phone" button. :)

I thought Google was bringing this with froyo. In the day 2 keynote, they had an example where you could look at a map/directions on the laptop, click a send to phone button, and the navigation popped up on the phone. Also had the same for installing apps, etc. I think they called it "intents." Or am I completely misreading what you are wanting?

Yourdogsdead

May 15, 2010
Visit site
They are going to have this feature in Froyo. Along with the ability to push web pages and apps to your phone from your computer. Can't wait.