Llama - Who's Using It and Any Good Examples?

Shohibul Ardiansyah

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Event name: disable rotation
Condition: active application ->app stopped or in background---> camera
Action: screen rotation -> no rotation

just repeat for other apps...... so, when you close the camera or other apps.... screen rotation will be disable....

tell me if it work for you... it work like a charm on my phone...

Cobus du Plessis

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
I use Llama to switch on my bluetooth as soon as it disconnects from my WiFi at home. That way, is I leave for work in the mornings my bluetooth is switched on to connect to my car radio.

I also do the auto-rotate thing for certain apps, but have also added screen brightness to 100% when opening apps like gallery, Documents and YouTube.

SnipER_UA

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
Hi!
Please help me to do the following things:

1. Set action on alarm ringing. No, standard Alarm event that uses NEXT_ALARM_FORMATTED isn't good, because I use Sleep as Android app, so time differs. Alarm is always played in certain time interval and with same music file.
2. I want to use some autoresponder application based on location. Currently I use "Autoresponder / SMS Scheduler": it sends SMS on incoming SMS/call depending on time. I want some way to just turn it on/off, or any other application with Llama/Tasker/Locale plugin will do.
3. (Suppose it's not possible at all, but maybe someone knows a hack) Turn on/off Samsung Ultra Power Saving mode.

I have SL4A & Python for Android installed, but don't know if they can help with these.

Thanx in advance!

dirkc

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
Hi,
I would also like to use the 'near home' area acrive when near cells at home, with wifi=on/data=on/BT=on and then when connected to my home wifi switch to 'home' area with wifi=on/data=off/BT=off
This I want to do because it takes quit long to get out of the home cells and I want to switch my BT on as soon as I leave the house.
Can you send me a detailed setup so I can get mine working ? PM is ok for me.
I already got the 'home' area defined with my wifi networks.
Also my BT does not want to connect all the time when I get into my car. A nice Android bug in the 4.x versions of some phones. When in my car and BT did not get connected I can force it to connect by switching off BT and then back on after some seconds. Would be great if I could do this with Llama.
Any help is greatl appreciated on this!!
Grtz,
Dirk

buggy_droid

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Any chance someone could help me as I'm new to Llama?

I just don't know what to change in order to make this happen.

When I am at work I have spotty cell signal (and occasional wifi signal). Therefore my battery is dead within about 3 hours. However whenever I venture by a window I get text messages, etc. Is there a way to simply reduce how often my phone looks for a cell signal at work, but then keep the setting as normal when I am away from work/at home? I see that I can reduce cell polling, but it doesn't let me set a lower rate at work and a higher rate at home.

I don't want to completely disable it, because occasionally I walk by a window and get my text messages, etc.

Thank you all for your help,
tim

So, when you reduce cell polling in Llama, does your battery last longer at work?
I always thought cell polling sets how often Llama polls cell info from the OS and has nothing to do with how often the phone looks for towers. I don't use that option at all, so I could be wrong.
Since your smartphone is a cell phone, if you are in an area with weak (or no) signals it works extra hard trying to find better signals. Nothing in Llama settings should change that behavior. As far as I know the only way to stop it is to put your phone in airplane mode. I was experimenting it a little myself recently and below seems to work fine.

Conditions: airplane mode off, signal strength goes below -113dBm, screen turns off.
Actions: enable airplane mode, queue another event "airplane mode off".
Advanced: delay for 5 min, cancel if conditions change.

Queued event "airplane mode off"
wait for 25 min, disable airplane mode.

The queued event disables airplane mode, that will trigger the original event. So, this is a self sustaining loop as long as your signal is below -113dBm.
You can adjust the signal strength, delay & wait time to suit your needs. The delay determines how long airplane mode is off, and wait determines how long it's in airplane mode.

shinra00

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
So, when you reduce cell polling in Llama, does your battery last longer at work?
I always thought cell polling sets how often Llama polls cell info from the OS and has nothing to do with how often the phone looks for towers. I don't use that option at all, so I could be wrong.
Since your smartphone is a cell phone, if you are in an area with weak (or no) signals it works extra hard trying to find better signals. Nothing in Llama settings should change that behavior. As far as I know the only way to stop it is to put your phone in airplane mode. I was experimenting it a little myself recently and below seems to work fine.

Conditions: airplane mode off, signal strength goes below -113dBm, screen turns off.
Actions: enable airplane mode, queue another event "airplane mode off".
Advanced: delay for 5 min, cancel if conditions change.

Queued event "airplane mode off"
wait for 25 min, disable airplane mode.

The queued event disables airplane mode, that will trigger the original event. So, this is a self sustaining loop as long as your signal is below -113dBm.
You can adjust the signal strength, delay & wait time to suit your needs. The delay determines how long airplane mode is off, and wait determines how long it's in airplane mode.

Sweet! was looking for this for some time now, thank you mate!

One question the -113dBm that you suggest means that you already have no connection at all or that the connection is just really low (1 bar)?

thanks in advance

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
One question the -113dBm that you suggest means that you already have no connection at all or that the connection is just really low (1 bar)?

-113 dBm is a pretty bad signal, and much more accurate than bars. The closer you are to zero, the better the signal strength.

Nirwen

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Love Llama! One question - probably easy to answer, but I'm too dumb to find the setting. I have a profile that does the following:

When Bluetooth Device Detaches
Screen Timeout = 30sec
Screen Lock = Enabled
Profile = Loud

What I would like to have this event do is rather than set the profile to loud would be to poll the cell towers once and set the profile based on my location. All of the location polling events that I can find change the frequency of the polling. They don't just poll once to determine my location. I just want it to do it once when the event fires. Any ideas?

Thanks!

buggy_droid

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
the -113dBm that you suggest

It was suggested by Llama himself. If you choose the signal strength condition (or ? next to it) you will see it.
An exact value there isn't important. Distinction between not connecting and barely connecting is arbitrary.
Your phone can measure the exact dBm value (whatever it stands for) at any given time, but whether your phone can function as a phone under that signal strength depends on your hardware, software, hearing, and patience (and of the person you are speaking to).
Experiment and find what works for you.

buggy_droid

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Love Llama! One question - probably easy to answer, but I'm too dumb to find the setting. I have a profile that does the following:

When Bluetooth Device Detaches
Screen Timeout = 30sec
Screen Lock = Enabled
Profile = Loud

What I would like to have this event do is rather than set the profile to loud would be to poll the cell towers once and set the profile based on my location. All of the location polling events that I can find change the frequency of the polling. They don't just poll once to determine my location. I just want it to do it once when the event fires. Any ideas?

Thanks!

You need an "Enter Area" condition in your event. That alone should be enough to make Llama check which one of your areas you are in every time your phone hops from one tower to the next. You don't need cell polling option and shouldn't use it at all unless you know that Llama is not keeping track of towers without it.
Even if you do need cell polling, you only have to enable it in the settings. You don't need cell polling action in your event. As you said, it only changes the frequency of polling.

shinra00

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
It was suggested by Llama himself. If you choose the signal strength condition (or ? next to it) you will see it.
An exact value there isn't important. Distinction between not connecting and barely connecting is arbitrary.
Your phone can measure the exact dBm value (whatever it stands for) at any given time, but whether your phone can function as a phone under that signal strength depends on your hardware, software, hearing, and patience (and of the person you are speaking to).
Experiment and find what works for you.

Yup youre correct sir, thanks for the input. Trying to talk with -113dBm is the same as no connection, unless you have a lte phone in an area covered by it (not my case)

EDIT: just learned that airplane mode won´t disable wifi :D i'm so happy!

thank you for all the patience and the help given in this forum buggy_droid and raino :)

Last edited:

synesthesiac

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
Hey what's up. Just joining the party. This thread is full of goodies. I very much appreciate everyone's participation. I've got a pretty cool event which some of you may find useful. And a couple of questions...

The event I use takes advantage of the AlarmPad app, and the fact that the Locale Plugin comes with some built in actions for it. I have a llama event which sets off an alarm, at the beginning of any Calendar event which has the word Llama in the title. It's simple and extremely useful, because the only thing missing from Google Calendar is alarms. I keep an alarm in AlarmPad called "Llama" which is set a year into the future and never deletes. So it's always there, and I don't have to rename it because AlarmPad is set to display the day's calendar events anyway, so I always know exactly what the alarm is waking me up for. It looks like this:

Condition: Calendar even named "Llama"
Action: Locale Plugin - AlarmPad run action (beta): Run: Llama Alarm

That's it. It adds the one feature I really want from Calendar. The only limitation is that the alarm goes off exactly when the Calendar Event starts. So if I want to, say, wake up two hours before a doctor's appointment, I have to set the Calendar Event to start two hours before my appointment and then put the actual appointment time in the title, or notes of the entry. I'm wondering if any of you could think of a way to set this up so that Llama sets off the alarm before the calendar event actually starts. So if I have a doctor's appointment at noon, Llama triggers AlarmPad to wake me up at 10. I can't figure out a way to do it.

The other problem is that I'd like for the event to be triggered by GoogleNow (or Keep or Calendar) reminders. I'd like to say "Google, remind me to pick up my dry cleaning tomorrow at noon, Llama", and have Llama grab that reminder the same way it does a Calendar event. It could make the reminder system amazing! I hope ya'll have some ideas. And again, this thread is awesome...Thanks!!!!

synesthesiac

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
Hey what's up. Just joining the party. This thread is full of goodies. I very much appreciate everyone's participation. I've got a pretty cool event which some of you may find useful. And a couple of questions...

The event I use takes advantage of the AlarmPad app, and the fact that the Locale Plugin comes with some built in actions for it. I have a llama event which sets off an alarm, at the beginning of any Calendar event which has the word Llama in the title. It's simple and extremely useful, because the only thing missing from Google Calendar is alarms. I keep an alarm in AlarmPad called "Llama" which is set a year into the future and never deletes. So it's always there, and I don't have to rename it because AlarmPad is set to display the day's calendar events anyway, so I always know exactly what the alarm is waking me up for. It looks like this:

Condition: Calendar even named "Llama"
Action: Locale Plugin - AlarmPad run action (beta): Run: Llama Alarm

That's it. It adds the one feature I really want from Calendar. The only limitation is that the alarm goes off exactly when the Calendar Event starts. So if I want to, say, wake up two hours before a doctor's appointment, I have to set the Calendar Event to start two hours before my appointment and then put the actual appointment time in the title, or notes of the entry. I'm wondering if any of you could think of a way to set this up so that Llama sets off the alarm before the calendar event actually starts. So if I have a doctor's appointment at noon, Llama triggers AlarmPad to wake me up at 10. I can't figure out a way to do it.

The other problem is that I'd like for the event to be triggered by GoogleNow (or Keep or Calendar) reminders. I'd like to say "Google, remind me to pick up my dry cleaning tomorrow at noon, Llama", and have Llama grab that reminder the same way it does a Calendar event. It could make the reminder system amazing! I hope ya'll have some ideas. And again, this thread is awesome...Thanks!!!!

buggy_droid

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Hello, synesthesiac. Cool trick.

I'm wondering if any of you could think of a way to set this up so that Llama sets off the alarm before the calendar event actually starts. So if I have a doctor's appointment at noon, Llama triggers AlarmPad to wake me up at 10. I can't figure out a way to do it.
Google calendar already gives you an option to remind yourself before an event, up to few days, I think.
To make calendar reminders into alarms, I use this: CalendarAlarmHelper at Google Play store

Just realized that my answer doesn't involve Llama at all...
Well, about half the stuff I say here don't, either ;)

Why not create a calendar event by GoogleNow instead?
Then whatever alarm/reminder app you are using will pick up on the calendar event.
Once again, Llama has run out on me here.

WolframLT

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
have been using Llama for quite a while.

I have it set to turn on wifi when I'm Home and also turn alerts/notifications to Quiet from 10pm to 9am.

anon8164182

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
I've got a bit of a problem with enabling the speakerphone in car mode, anyone got any ideas? THings I have tried:

When in car mode when call state is in a call or ringing - turn on speakerphone.
When in car mode and the current app is Phone - turn on speakerphone.
When in car mode - turn on speakerphone.

None of them enable speakerphone in car mode, so I have to press the speakerphone button on the screen.

anon8164182

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Are you sure car mode is working properly? Have you tried this event without the car mode condition?

Yeah, car mode works fine apart from speakerphone. When I launch car mode (using Google's car home app) Llama enables rotation, changes profile and queues an event to launch DailyRoads Voyager after a couple of seconds.

I just tried:
When call state is in a call or ringing - turn on speakerphone.
When the current app is Phone - turn on speakerphone.

Neither works still :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech