Llama - Who's Using It and Any Good Examples?

SPRUNT

May 6, 2012
Visit site
I just udgraded to an Evo3D (Virgin Mobile) and Llama will not learn any areas. I see only a couple of towers in the history, and they all look bad (addresses are -1: -1: -1).

Anyone know why this is happening and how to fix it??

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
That is odd.
I'm having all sorts of issues.
If you want to set a profile and choose WiFi and WiFi is off I get a force close.
Profiles are conflicting with each other etc. I am in another location yet it changes to my home tower and activates that profile.

I have a love hate relationship with this app. I keep saying tasker but this is does mostly what I need without a huge expense.

Today it took four blocks before it detected that my home WiFi network was out of range. Only then did it trigger my car mode settings.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

kurokirasama

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
For the last two of you. Llama strongly depends on cell towers. So if they are not enough or they are poorly distributed, Llama can't do much about it. For instance, when between your home and work there is only one cell tower, and is shared.
However, what i do is to manually remove the cell towers that I think do not belong to a place, and see if that works, if it doesn't, i added them again.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
For the last two of you. Llama strongly depends on cell towers. So if they are not enough or they are poorly distributed, Llama can't do much about it. For instance, when between your home and work there is only one cell tower, and is shared.
However, what i do is to manually remove the cell towers that I think do not belong to a place, and see if that works, if it doesn't, i added them again.

I know but when I have my home tower and home WiFi conditions my profile should not be triggered a mile away. The app says match ALL conditions.

kurokirasama

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
I know but when I have my home tower and home WiFi conditions my profile should not be triggered a mile away. The app says match ALL conditions.

Hi:
I see, that's weird. Do you have the wifi detection as part of the location trough wifi polling, or inside the event?

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I think its inside the event. Not sure.
It also FC's on me when WiFi is off and I want to create a task that uses WiFi lol.

bruarm

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Llama noob & tech 'tard here :)

I've had llama for under a week and thought I had it figured out. It ain't rocket surgery, but technology can make me feel pretty stupid. I'm hoping you smart people can help me out.

Situation 1:
Everything seemed to be working fine yesterday. My day goes like this:

Leave home (llama area = Home)
Get on the train (llama area = unknown)
Get to work (llama area = work)
Surf the internet looking for things I can do with llama ;)
Leave work
Get on train (llama area = unknown after I leave station)
Get home (llama area = Home)

Yesterday the areas worked fine. Today, I was 2 stops down the line from home on the way to work and llama still thought I was home.

Event history:
5:50:07 - Disable wifi - triggered by Not in Area condition (left home)
5:50:07 - Left home - triggered by Leave Area condition
5:50:12 enable wifi - triggered by Enter/In area condition (not sure what happened, guess i was in the garage)
6:01:48 disable wifi - triggered by Not In Area condition (arrived at train)
6:01:48 Left home - triggered by Leave Area condition

At this point I'm on the train but llama says I'm still in Home area

So 2 stops down the line, I looked again and it said I was still in Home area. So I changed Cell Polling Mode setting to 'enable polling' and almost immediately the area changed to unknown which it should have long before. The Cell Polling Interval was set to 5 min but there was a point where it went 8 min. That was around 5:54 to 6:02. Also, cell polling occurs more frequently than 5 min from what I see on the Recent tab. Not sure I understand those settings.

Then got to work:
6:18:59 enable wifi - triggered by Enter/In Area condition
6:18:59 Work in morning - triggered by Enter/In Area condition
but llama said I was still in an unknown area.

It worked fine yesterday, but today was a mess. Any ideas? Should I have cell polling on all the time?

Situation 2
The wifi at work requires you to accept terms and conditions before it will allow you to use it. And it times out after a certain period of inactivity. I've set up an event to alert me when the connection is dropped and it seems to work fine. Is there any way prevent this connection from dropping? I use a chat application that gets messed up sending/receiving if the connection gets dropped.

Thanks for any suggestions!! This is a great app, even without location stuff!!! :D

bruarm

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I am trying to create and event to play a recording when I lose my home wifi connection and one when I return to the home wifi. It seems to only work if I manually turn off wifi on my phone. Does not work when I leave and lose the connection or return and resume connection. Any one have any ideas ? Much appreciated. I am on the htc evo 4g lte.

I have such an event for dropping work Wifi (haven't got anything set up for reconnect):
Conditions:
WiFi Network Disconnect <select name of WiFi>
Day of Week (M-F)
Time Between 0700-1700

Actions:
Toggle Profile Changes Lock > unlock profile changes (because I lock my work profile while I'm there)
Change Profile to Quiet and lock for 1 minute
Play a sound > Animato tone
Speak > "Lost connection to <wifi name>"

Seems to work fine for me.

EDIT: Set one up for home wifi disconnect and it works too. Same settings as above.

Last edited:

squishysdomain

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Interesting thread. With respect to using cell towers, Llama cant help what the phone companies do with respect to roaming. For instance at home I am in a residential area and always connect to the same cell, thus Llama has only ever seen this 1 cell and its easy. At work it see's 7 cells, and my phone "roams" between all of them while just walking around the 100m (300ft) building. Unfortunately some of the cells can be seen for the first 5 minutes of my homeward journey too, so if I look at the history I see multiple transitions between work and unknown before I finally cannot see any work cells anymore. Also cells vary in size. In rural areas they can cover as much as 10 mile radius, but at the science park where I work they expect a high phone density so have micro-cells. Once you understand this you can probably understand why Llama sometimes has problems.

Also like bus times (I once waited for 20 minutes for a bus that runs every 10 minutes) polling every 5 minutes might lead to up to 10 minutes to get the right answer. In the above example the poll could happen 3 minutes into the journey and the home cell could still be seen. It then goes to sleep for 5 minutes and the next time it polls is after 8 minutes - while the home cell was probably out of range for most of that time.

I just wanted to touch on events also. The Dev mentions that for every event that does something you should consider adding a second event that "undoes" the thing. This is good practice. But be aware that an event is something that triggers when its conditions are met. However It (also) triggers every time that condition is (re)met. It may turn things on or off that will remain on or off once that event has triggered and can cause unexpected problems if not thought through well. For instance I wanted to turn off Bluetooth when at work and on when away from work. This means, that for the first few minutes of my journey home Bluetooth would toggle on and off due to the constant at-work, not-at-work events triggering - perhaps not ideal :eek:). The better solution is for the at_work event to trigger a second event that waits 10 minutes and if I am still at work 10 minutes later then to turn bluetooth off. That way for the first non work cell my phone connects to on the way home bluetooth gets put on and then stays on until I am out of range of the office.

Hope this helps?

PS As already been pointed out events do not have to rely on location - any event can trigger an action. A profile is just a way of grouping a number of actions together so you can use a short name instead of repeating them over and over.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I use Tasker but what was said above is true. Look at the YouTube videos of Tasker part 1 and he explains exit tasks, which would apply to llama as well

kurokirasama

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

for some problems when events re-triggers, i use variables, so when the event triggers i set that variable to "yes" and a condition in the event is that that variable doesn't have the value yes... and of course you have to create the proper event to turn that variable to "no"

jwwj58

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Good morning. I'm a newbie to this forum and just trying to put Llama through it's paces, but I'm not real sure how to do some things. Can somebody tell me how to set up my phone to turn on Wi-Fi and Mobile Data when I turn the screen on and then turn WiFi and Data off when the screen turns off. Probably real simple. I have an Event set up to do what I want. I think it's correct, but I'm not sure. Thanks.

This is what I have set up:

Conditions
Enter Area: Home
Time Between 5:45 AM-9;30PM
Screen on/off: Screen on

Actions
Change Profile:Normal
Toggle WiFi : WiFi On(for at least 3 minutes)
WiFi sleep policy: WiFi sleeps when screen turns off

Will this set up do what I want?

Jim

makaroni

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
This sounds like a crazy app. I have to try this. Sounds like a personal assistant on your phone. Damn

My GS3 sleeps in the bed and I make my girlfriend sleep on the couch

kurokirasama

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Good morning. I'm a newbie to this forum and just trying to put Llama through it's paces, but I'm not real sure how to do some things. Can somebody tell me how to set up my phone to turn on Wi-Fi and Mobile Data when I turn the screen on and then turn WiFi and Data off when the screen turns off. Probably real simple. I have an Event set up to do what I want. I think it's correct, but I'm not sure. Thanks.

This is what I have set up:

Conditions
Time Between 5:45 AM-9;30PM

Actions
Change Profile:Normal
Toggle WiFi : WiFi On(for at least 3 minutes)
WiFi sleep policy: WiFi sleeps when screen turns off

Will this set up do what I want?

Jim

Hello,
First, why change your profile to normal every time your screen turns on? You better make another event that when you arrive at home beetween certain hours (or even without this time condition) it changes your profile to normal...
Second, if you change the wifi sleep policy once it will change forever unless you undo it in another event, so it is unnecesary to change it every time. Personally, i don't like the things i don't control, that's why i have another event to turn the wifi off. Beside when i tried with that, when turning the wifi on it doesn't connected for some reason...
Finally, about the time condition, what if you stay up after that time?... you will have to turn on and off wifi manually every time...

So what i have is something like this (among other stuff that are not necesary for you):

Wifi on:
Conditions
Wifi disconnected: any (in case you already have the wifi on and connected, so the event desn't triggers)
Battery level: above 5%
Call state: not in a call (so wifi doesn't turn on when you receive a call)

Actions
Toggle WiFi : WiFi On(for at least 1 minutes)

Wifi off:
Delay: 5 seconds (you could change it to your likes. This is in case your screen turns off while reading something so you have time before your wifi goes off)
Conditions
Screen on/off: Screen off
Wifi connected: any (in case you already have the wifi off and disconnected...)

Actions
Toggle WiFi : WiFi Off

I hope this could help you.

BR

Last edited:

FLAWLESSVW

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
I have to say... I've been using this app for probably around 2 years and it is my MOST important and favorite app!
It makes my phone do what I want, when I want, automatically.
I've got some pretty trick/complex stuff set up on it and it is just awesome.

I've got two things maybe you guys could help with:
1. Is there a way to have an Event PROMPT you for a choice between two apps?
For example, I've got an event where I plug in a headphone jack and a few things happen (audio vol up, etc) and then RUN TuneInRadio.
Usually that's fine, but I may want to instead use Google Music, or even Spotify.
What I'd like is for it to open a folder or something and just give me a choice of those three (or more even) apps when it triggers.
Ideas there?

2. I briefly had an HTC Evo Design 4G. On that phone, Llama would successfully enable 4G without problems. I've switched to the SGS2 (Epic Touch 4G) and it is unable to kick off 4G.
Both phones rooted.
I know that feature is experimental but both phones on same carrier (Boost) and rooted. Any ideas/workarounds on how to get the SGS2 to kick of 4G?

Thanks for the help guys. I'm looking forward to reading this thread more since I don't see to many posts about Llama - which is a shame because if people took the time to learn this app they'd love it as much as we do!

Ravit B

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
Hello to all!
I started using this app and I?m still learning it. I manage most of the stuff but I still have one thing that doesn?t work and it drive me crazy because i cannot figure it out!

At my home I have a Wi-Fi connection. I want to make it so when I leave my house, i.e. the Wi-Fi connection is lost, the profile will go to an outside profile (all sound load)+ and my screen will be at 100% brightness.
this is how I set it up:
condition: WIFI network disconnected ? my home Wi-Fi name.
action: change profile -> ?loud not at home?
change brightness -> 100%
change notification icon -> yellow.

unfortunately it does not work!
Can someone figure out why?? :-\