Llama - Who's Using It and Any Good Examples?

Jonathan Best

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,

I have an issue i'm trying to figure out and am hoping you guys may have some new ideas how to accomplish it. I'm looking for a way to make an event fire but then not fire again for say 6 hours or more.....However the condition trigger is set to a location and i'm not there at regular times so the time of day option will not work.

I am using a locale plugin with llama in order to send an sms in certain situations. For example when I enter a certain area i'd like it to sms my partner to say i'd arrived safe. It is currently a bit hit and miss due to poor phone signal

Ideally I would like the event to be:

Conditions

Enter area "Football ground"
Signal Strength "Strength above -95dBm" (to prevent attempts with no signal)

Action

Locale Plugin sends sms

Now this is great except it will send the sms everytime the phones signal fluctuates. I need the signal strength condition as without it the sms often fails. How can I adapt this event so that it will fire once but then not fire again for many hours??

dfduarte

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
I think this would work.

Conditions
Enter area "Football ground"
Signal Strength "Strength above -95dBm" (to prevent attempts with no signal)
variable delay120 = FALSE
Action
Locale Plugin sends sms
variable set delay120m TRUE
queue another event
Queue delay 120 minutes
Action
variable set delay120m FALSE​

Edit: let me correct myself
You'd need to manually set the variable to FALSE or the event would never trigger. But thats just a one time thing.
You could change the condition to
variable delay120 is not TRUE
This way a blank or FALSE variable name would trigger the event. Would not trigger after the action changes the variable to TRUE, and could be fired again after the delayed event.

Last edited:

jazzmozz

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
I seem to be having problems with my Area location ever since I switched from my 3G contract to a 4G (LTE) contract. Before switching Llama picked the Area accurately, but ever since I'm on a 4G contract it is hit and miss. Sometimes it identifies the area but most of the times not. And if it is identified correctly I notice a lot of entering and leaving the area in the events list. Anybody knows what is going on here?

BJozi

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
My best guess is that your change to 4G means there are more cell towers, I would try re-learning your area and see how it behaves.

WTanksleyJr

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
I found Llama yesterday and already have 10 events defined -- Llama does SO many things I've wanted to get done. There are two things I'd like to do but can't figure out.

First, I'd like to be able to control my T-Mobile Wifi Calling. Most places I don't use it, but my house has JUST BARELY enough signal to keep WiFi calling from activating, but JUST BARELY too little to allow coherent conversation. (Pathetic.) I'm wondering if anyone's figured out anything about turning it on, off, or even just popping up the intent that would let me turn it on and off (it's buried deep in the settings). Another option MIGHT be to turn mobile cell connectivity off, but I think Airplane mode is the only way to do that...

Second, is there any way to set a Condition on the ring volume or the sound profile? I'd like to replace the app "Shush!", which detects when you've turned your phone's ring volume all the way down and instantly pops up a dialog widget that asks you when you want the volume to be restored. It's very convenient (I never have to worry about remembering to turn my phone back on), except that the widget's user interface is completely custom and utterly worthless. I have another app that has a fantastic user interface but doesn't trigger on the volume button. If Llama could set a condition on the volume going to zero, I could launch that app and finally get rid of Shush!.

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Second, is there any way to set a Condition on the ring volume or the sound profile? I'd like to replace the app "Shush!", which detects when you've turned your phone's ring volume all the way down and instantly pops up a dialog widget that asks you when you want the volume to be restored. It's very convenient (I never have to worry about remembering to turn my phone back on), except that the widget's user interface is completely custom and utterly worthless. I have another app that has a fantastic user interface but doesn't trigger on the volume button. If Llama could set a condition on the volume going to zero, I could launch that app and finally get rid of Shush!.

Play around with the settings under Settings>Sound Profile Settings, specifically, the first and the third settings.

bveyndhoven

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Hi there,

Another question: I figured out how to use Llama tones (or at least the concept). I've currently configured one to use in Handcent SMS.

Problem is: when I'm at work, I would still like to have a notification sound when I receive an SMS message, but I want it to be a little more discrete. So the work profile holds a lower notification volume and the Llama tone is configured on a more discrete ringtone in my work profile (the normal one in the other profiles). In Handcent, I've assigned the Llama tone as notification sound.

But now the ringtone isn't played at all (while the notification volume still is at 2). Anybody's got ideas?

By the way: I use a Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini.

C Robson

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
Hi there.
I have almost the same setup that?s in the first post in this thread. It works from time to time but i?m getting an error that says "failed to que another event. There is already an event named data on"
This is very irritating and i don?t know what to do..so any ideas how to fix this`?

Here?s the setup :

Event Name: Screen Off

Advanced:
1. Delay Event
2. Delay Minutes : 1 minutes
3. Cancel Delay if False
4. Repeating Event
5. Repeat Every 10 Minutes

Conditions:
1. Screen Off

Action:
1. Queue Another Event (enter these details for the Queue Event):
-->Event Name: Data On
--> Queue Delay: 9 Minutes
--> Actions: Toggle Mobile Data On
2. Toggle Mobile Data Off and toggle wifi off

Event Name: Screen On
Conditions:
1. Screen On

Actions:
2. Toggle Mobile Data On and toggle wifi on

My phone is an oppo find 5 with android 4.2.2 (color os 1.0.2i)

bveyndhoven

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Hi C Robson,

Also check the "cancel if false" option in the delay settings. Of you don't, you'll get the error if the conditions trigger twice within the delay period. Most of the times when you use a delay, you'll want to turn that option on.

Fort this to work, you'll have to delay the queuing and it's a good idea to add a 1 second delay to the queued event. This means:

Main event: delay x minutes y seconds (cancel if false) - conditions - queue sub event
Sub event: delay 1 second - actions

Posted via Android Central App using Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini

Last edited:

C Robson

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for answering raino and bveyndhoven.

I did get it to work today by turning off the error notifications and now it runs without any problem :)
This might not be the "correct" way to do it but it fixed my problem so i?m happy!

C Robson

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
Is it possible in llama to setup up an event that takes a photo with front camera if the password/pattern is incorrect and forward it to an email..
I tried this in tasker but i didn't get it to run correctly

cynflux

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Is it possible to set my phone to switch to 4G when it is charging and connected to mobile data using Llama?
It doesn't seem to work.
My phone is a rooted Samsung Galaxy S3 Android version 4.1.2
Thank you in advance for your help.

hylar

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
Does somebody know if it's possible to disable the alarm if a specific event is in the agenda or if I can play a sound with llama every day except if there is a special event in the agenda?
Cannot find how to disable the alarm and/or play a sound only if event "x" is not in the agenda.

dfduarte

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Is it possible to set my phone to switch to 4G when it is charging and connected to mobile data using Llama?
It doesn't seem to work.
My phone is a rooted Samsung Galaxy S3 Android version 4.1.2
Thank you in advance for your help.

The 4G action should do that. I can't test that, my phone is 3G only.
Condition AND (match all) Charging and Mobile data
You could try both mobile data conditions, mobile data connection and mobile data enabled/disabled.
Maybe delay for a few seconds 4G to wait for the network signal.

Does somebody know if it's possible to disable the alarm if a specific event is in the agenda or if I can play a sound with llama every day except if there is a special event in the agenda?
Cannot find how to disable the alarm and/or play a sound only if event "x" is not in the agenda.

Create a profile with alarm volume muted.
Create an event with the calendar as condition and change profile as action.
The calendar condition has the options of Event start/Current event or Event finished/Not current event.

mtndewgood

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
I would really like to be able to use this app, but I can't get it to pick up any cell masts at all. At home I use a Sprint airave (voip) and don't know if this is even supported. At work though I have 4g but I can set it for hours to learn the area and it doesn't find any cells. Using a Moto X. Any ideas?

BJozi

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
How do I get Llama area's to include my wifi network? I can't seem to find it but on their site it has mention that it's possible.

BJozi

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Also if I have a action that turns on wifi polling, how do I disable it then, or will it just run for x mins? Does wifi polling mean I can disable my wifi, then when it's polling it detects a wifi network and turns on?

I pretty much did as they have on their site:
I use Wifi polling, but want to save more battery. How can I do this?

You can use Llama's events to increase and decrease the frequency that Llama checks for nearby Wifi networks. First of all, learn all of the phone cells near your desired area. We'll use 'home' in this example. Then create an event defined as Enter home -> set Wifi Polling to 5 minutes, and another event defined as Leave home -> set Wifi Polling to Never. Now create another area called 'home (wifi)' and teach Llama which Wifi networks can be found at your home. Create any other events based on entering/leaving the 'home (wifi)' area.

What this does is teach Llama that there is a big area where your home is, and it should start checking to see if the smaller area that is your actual home is nearby. There is no point having Wifi polling turned on if you are on the subway or out of town, and those two rules make sure it's not being used.

Depending on what other events you have, you can of course go one better and say Enter home (wifi) -> Set Wifi Polling to never. This will stop checking for wifi networks if it's already seen that you are at home. However, if you have any leave home (wifi) events, they won't run.

I managed to add the wifi network to the area, I found it in "recent" and that I could add it.

I have an event now named Enter home area which enables wifi polling when I enter my home area based on cell masts and sets a variable "Home" to "Nearby"

I have another event named Home which sets a variable "At home" to "Home"when in my Home Wifi area.

At the moment I'm just using these variables to disable my screen lock but I want to make up a few more for periodically turning on wifi and checking for emails etc while at home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol