Llama - Who's Using It and Any Good Examples?

urthling

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Hello - was wondering if I could get some assistance from the gurus with an event.

I'm trying to create a "Screen Rotation" event for media applications. I can successfully trigger it to turn on when it is active and in the foreground and have a queued event to disable it when it is no longer active or in the background. However, I can only do this for one application at a time. I'm trying to consolidate multiple applications into the same event using the "OR" condition, but it won't work. Hoping that there is some way to do what's needed without having to create a screen rotation event for every app. If somebody could post a list of required commands, that would be excellent. Thanks!

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Hello - was wondering if I could get some assistance from the gurus with an event.

I'm trying to create a "Screen Rotation" event for media applications. I can successfully trigger it to turn on when it is active and in the foreground and have a queued event to disable it when it is no longer active or in the background. However, I can only do this for one application at a time. I'm trying to consolidate multiple applications into the same event using the "OR" condition, but it won't work. Hoping that there is some way to do what's needed without having to create a screen rotation event for every app. If somebody could post a list of required commands, that would be excellent. Thanks!

I think your OR syntax is incorrect. The condition needs to be OR, within which you need to specify each app. Let me know if that doesn't make sense and I'll put up a screenshot or two.

urthling

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
I think your OR syntax is incorrect. The condition needs to be OR, within which you need to specify each app. Let me know if that doesn't make sense and I'll put up a screenshot or two.

Ah... that was it! I mistakenly added an application condition and then added the "OR" condition. Adding the OR as the sole condition and all the apps within solved the problem. Thanks for the quick reply!

jeremyawilliams

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
If it requires the apps to launch you could create an event with these apps in foreground condition and llama variable (when silent variable has a value of ON) and have llama switch notification volume on and as soon as the apps close, notification volume off.

I figured it out with Tasker. If it was beween 22:30 and 7:00 and a notification popped up with "*watch*' "*warning*" or "*alert*", I ran this:

Screenshot_2014-04-08-13-21-28.png

Joseph P Cirrilla

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Download a SMS locale plugin app

Conditions ex. : between 5:30 and 6, when work wifi has disconnected
Actions : locale plugin sms app with text I left work

I downloaded the plug in for llama. I was wondering if this is possible: Set up so that when activated (say I go into the city with some friends and decide on the bus ride in to manually activate which is fine/easy enough to remember to do) after a certain allotted time or specific time since I have to at least leave by the last available train/bus back (which I know how to set time stuff) it begins to send a Text Message to a specific contact every 10 minutes that *includes a Gmaps link of my current location* until I reach my home area. The contact has an iPhone while I just got the new GS5 so I figured a Gmap link would work between both phones easily.

Edit: I know I could probably just give them my login to the "AndroidLost" account I have and they can see me on a map but I really don't want to give them that full power capabilities that it provides to do remotely to a phone in case they accidentally click erroneously around.

Last edited:

Bob61

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
I downloaded the plug in for llama. I was wondering if this is possible: Set up so that when activated (say I go into the city with some friends and decide on the bus ride in to manually activate which is fine/easy enough to remember to do) after a certain allotted time or specific time since I have to at least leave by the last available train/bus back (which I know how to set time stuff) it begins to send a Text Message to a specific contact every 10 minutes that *includes a Gmaps link of my current location* until I reach my home area. The contact has an iPhone while I just got the new GS5 so I figured a Gmap link would work between both phones easily.
Not a llama solution, but check out application Waze. It's free GPS application and had option that you can share your drive or bus ride with friends. They can then track your location and arrival time via link that Waze will send to them.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Joseph P Cirrilla

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Not a llama solution, but check out application Waze. It's free GPS application and had option that you can share your drive or bus ride with friends. They can then track your location and arrival time via link that Waze will send to them.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info - I thought having the "experimental GPS" feature turned on llama would have allowed it somehow.

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I use Adblock Plus, and many media apps like WatchESPN don't like the proxy based redirection that ABP does. So the solution is to disable the proxy before running these apps, and then re-enabling it (which requires manually naming and entering the port number) once I'm done. Is there any way I can automate this through Llama?

dkelly701

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
I have several events set up that look for an all day calendar event as a condition. The strange thing is that instead of firing at 12 midnight on the day of the event, they fire at 8 pm the previous night, or 4 hours early. Anyone seen this before?

snavdeep

May 5, 2014
Visit site
I want to create an event as below. Pl advice how this can be done:
- When I?m out of home [without Wifi access] I want phone to sync automatically every 15 mins
o Which means data should get turned ON every 15 mins and should remain ON for 1 minute and then turn off
o This will automatically sync everything every 15 mins

I have created a repeat event to kick in every 15 mins to turn ON the data and every 16 mins to turn OFF. This works the first time but then every other time the gap goes on increasing from 1 minute to 4 mins and then more. Not sure of the reason though. Is there a better way to setup the rules here? Pl advice?

Olivier D

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
I want to create an event as below. Pl advice how this can be done:
- When I’m out of home [without Wifi access] I want phone to sync automatically every 15 mins
o Which means data should get turned ON every 15 mins and should remain ON for 1 minute and then turn off
o This will automatically sync everything every 15 mins

I have created a repeat event to kick in every 15 mins to turn ON the data and every 16 mins to turn OFF. This works the first time but then every other time the gap goes on increasing from 1 minute to 4 mins and then more. Not sure of the reason though. Is there a better way to setup the rules here? Pl advice…

this is what mine looks like :

Screenshot_2014-05-05-21-27-02.jpg

I have two others for different battery levels and as you can see I use Llama variables. In advanced, I checked the repeat box and set it to 15 minutes for this event...

For your event, you just have to add the leave area and wifi disconnected conditions.

Add a queued event [with data not connected condition (optional)] and set these actions : turn data and sync on.

Add another queued event that fires after 1 minute with these actions : turn data and sync off.

enjoy ;)

SquaredCircle

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
Hello, all. First time poster here, and I just discovered the awesomeness that is Llama. I was wondering if someone could help me to create an event.

My car doesn't have bluetooth, so when I listen to music from my phone I hook it up through an auxiliary cable. During this time, I'll sometimes have a bluetooth earpiece in for when I get a phone call. When I do get a call (or when I make a call), I have to unplug my phone from the aux cable or else the sound from the phone call would come through my car's speakers.

Is there any way to get Llama to have the phone call's audio go through my earpiece while my phone is plugged into the aux cable, but still have music from my app of choice coming through my car's speakers (not at the same time obviously)?

rogerinnyc

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I think I must be missing something basic with Llama. If I manually trigger my profile Loud, I also want Screen Brightness to go to 100%. But there is no Condition that reads the active Profile (as far as I can tell). I suspect I have to use Variables somehow, but I can't figure those out. Can anyone help? I don't want a trigger based on area or time, as my need for Loud combined with full Brightness is not consistent with those parameters. Thanks in advance.

Frootjuice

May 11, 2014
Visit site
Hi, could you post the details of your event?

In the mean time, you could do this:

- rename your location "home" learned by cell towers to "near home"
- in experimental configurations enable wifi polling.
- create an area called "home" and just add as a "cell tower" your wifi name or Mac.
- now your event just should be: when leaving home turn wifi off.
- as a recommendation also create these events:
1. In near home but not at home, change wifi polling rate to 5 min
2. Leaving near home or at home, change wifi polling to never.

Enviado desde mi GT-N7000 usando Tapatalk 2

Hey guys. First off, apologies for quoting a post that is over a year old but I've been reading through the entire thread and I think this is the post that best identifies what I need help with and I'm hoping if not the OP then at least somebody on here may have a clue as to how I can achieve what I'm after.

Essentially I live in a fairly built up area and Llama struggles to identify when I've actually left home and when I've genuinely returned. It can consider my home area to be anywhere within a two mile radius sometimes, which is less than ideal. So whilst it is fine for me going to work, which is about 20 miles away, and switching to work mode, I really can't get it to play ball when it comes to anything local. I quite often frequent local bars and coffee shops etc. and it can't tell the difference between these and my home when it would be useful for it to know when I'm in one of my favourite coffee shops for example, to connect to their wi-fi and go into quiet mode. Whereas on my journey from home to the coffee shop or vice versa, I want it in Outside mode whereby it goes loud and turns wi-fi off.

So the example above would seem to help with this situation by telling Llama your actual home is where your home wi-fi is (which naturally has a far smaller broadcast radius than all my local cell towers) BUT I cannot figure out how to tell Llama my newly created Home area (having renamed my existing learned Home area as Near Home) should be identifiable by my home wi-fi network. There are as many as 18 different wi-fi signals I can pick up when I'm at home, but only one is the one I pay for and want to connect to, obviously.

So, when I tap my new Home area it tells me I need to either learn nearby masts (which I DON'T want to do) or alternatively I go to the recent tab and choose a signal from there. BUT in the recent tab I just get a stream of the many broadcasting wi-fi networks, with the exception of my own. Is the problem that the recent tab only scrolls so far, and I'm missing my network off the bottom of the list? Or is there another problem? The phone is connected to the network absolutely fine and no devices ever have a problem finding it, so why can't Llama see it in the recent tab?

Presumably once I do find it, I can then have the phone poll for wi-fi when in my new Near Home area and that would pick up my home wi-fi when I'm at home, OR the wi-fi from one of my local coffee shops should I be visiting one of them.

On a related note does anyone else, in the UK at least, have a real problem with the number of wi-fi networks being broadcast (usually by BT/fon) which seem unsecured and therefore your phone automatically tries to connect to, only for there to be no real connectivity at all as hey require you to sign in manually through a web page? It drives me mad as my phone is regularly fooled into thinking it's connected when it really isn't. And I'd far rather it just relied on the 4G, which is fairly decent in my home city (Brighton). I just have to get my head round having the phone turn wi-fi on and off appropriately.

Phew.

Anyway, this is an excellent thread so many thanks to everyone whose contributed. The only other thing I've not yet found an answer to was something that was suggested earlier on in the thread but never seemed to get a response, re speaking the weather. My Monday to Thursday routine is fairly rigid so it might be quite nice to have my phone automatically speak out the weather after its woken me up. Is there a way to do this? Does Llama have access to weather data from anywhere? My HTC One has a home screen weather widget from Accuweather but I also have my Google calendar pulling in daily weather reports too. What chance Llama feeding from one of these and advising me of the day's weather before I'm even out of bed?

Any advice greatly appreciated! Thanks

Olivier D

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
I think I must be missing something basic with Llama. If I manually trigger my profile Loud, I also want Screen Brightness to go to 100%. But there is no Condition that reads the active Profile (as far as I can tell). I suspect I have to use Variables somehow, but I can't figure those out. Can anyone help? I don't want a trigger based on area or time, as my need for Loud combined with full Brightness is not consistent with those parameters. Thanks in advance.

Unfortunately for you Llama doesn't have conditions based on volumes. I would suggest you to use an app as the condition (active app condition) if your purpose when settting the Loud profile with full brightness is to use an app

Olivier D

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site

Here's my wifi events I use as an alternative to wifi polling which I don't understand and don't use :

1) Event name: Near Wi-Fi

Advanced...:
Repeat event
Repeat interval: 5 minutes

Conditions (match all):
Enter Area: Near Home
Airplane mode: Airplane mode disabled
Llama variable >
Variable name: night
Current value
Variable value : no
WiFi Network Disconnected: WiFi_Home

Actions:
Toggle WiFi: WiFi On
Queue another event >
Event name: Wi-Fi off
Queue delay seconds: 10

Actions:
Toggle WiFi: WiFi Off(if not connected)

Events:
At Near Home when Airplane mode is disabled when 'night' has a value of 'no' when your phone disconnects from WiFi_Home - enable WiFi and queue an event named 'Wi-Fi off' after 10 seconds every 5 minutes

2) Event name: Wi-Fi connect

Conditions (match all):
WiFi Network Connected: WiFi_Home
Llama variable >
Current value

Actions:
Profile: Normal
Llama variable >
Variable name: Wi-Fi connected
Variable value : yes
Llama variable >
Variable name: Wi-Fi on
Variable value : yes
Locale plugin >CM Profiles
Home

Events:
When your phone connects to WiFi_Home when 'night' has a value of 'no' - change profile to Normal, set Llama variable 'Wi-Fi connected' to 'yes', set Llama variable 'Wi-Fi on' to 'yes' and run a Locale plugin 'CM Profiles: Home'

3) Event name: Bye Wi-Fi

Conditions (match all):
Airplane mode: Airplane mode disabled
Llama variable >
Current value

Actions:
Queue another event >
Event name: Lock & loud
Queue delay: 2 minutes

Conditions :

Actions:
Profile: Loud
Locale plugin >CM Profiles
Out

Toggle WiFi: WiFi Off(if not connected)
Llama variable >
Variable name: Wi-Fi connected

Events:
When Airplane mode is disabled when your phone disconnects from WiFi_Home when 'night' has a value of 'no' - queue an event named 'Lock & loud' after 2 minutes, disable WiFi if not connected and set Llama variable 'Wi-Fi connected' to 'no'

-----

Don't hesitate if you have any questions or improvements for these events

braunstonbruce

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
I found a couple of features really useful with Llama.
I set it to turn on bluetooth if I plug in a charger. If it finds a device to connect to within a minute it keeps the bluetooth on. So in my car I often use my phone as my GPS and since this uses a bit of power it is best to have the charger on. Llama detects the charger and automatically connects to the car bluetooth. If it connects to my car bluetooth it switches off the wifi as it presumes I'm going to drive away.
But let's say I don't plug in my phone but leave it in my pocket. Bluetooth on the phone is off but Llama saves the day by detecting any incoming call which switches bluetooth on and connects to the car giving me handsfree again. Thank you Llama. :)

braunstonbruce

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Anyway, this is an excellent thread so many thanks to everyone whose contributed. The only other thing I've not yet found an answer to was something that was suggested earlier on in the thread but never seemed to get a response, re speaking the weather. My Monday to Thursday routine is fairly rigid so it might be quite nice to have my phone automatically speak out the weather after its woken me up. Is there a way to do this? Does Llama have access to weather data from anywhere? My HTC One has a home screen weather widget from Accuweather but I also have my Google calendar pulling in daily weather reports too. What chance Llama feeding from one of these and advising me of the day's weather before I'm even out of bed?

I don't think Llama can do that but the closest I've seen is IFTTT which can send you an email or a text each morning warning you about the weather. You can programme it to tell you if you need a brolly today!

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae