Llama - Who's Using It and Any Good Examples?

Bob61

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Recently found Llama, a great location aware application (based on cell tower, but with experimental option to locate by GPS) that let's you control almost every aspect of your phone automatically. It comes with some pretty basic examples, but this looks like it has a lot of options that still aren't clear to me how or why I'd use them (WiFi Polling anyone?).

I see there's a similar program that's popular, Tasker and it has lots of examples posted by users as to how they have configured that app. Tasker cost $6.49 while Llama is Free (or rather donation-ware, author asks only $1.30 donation - available in the market as well).

I've looked for any threads on examples from users as to how they have set-up Llama but found nothing (not even on the developers website). So I thought I'd start a thread and see if we can pull a list of useful events that people have configured in Llama. Might not be a direct lift and load onto your device, but may be great to stimulate ideas on how to get some additional value out of this app.

Here's one I've set-up. I had previously used Juice Defender but wanted to do basically same thing in Llama. So I created this:

This will turn off mobile data once screen is off (1 minute delay). It will then toggle mobile data on every 10 minutes so it can poll any email and other sync updates (will remain on for 1 minute).

Event Name: Screen Off

Advanced:
1. Delay Event
2. Delay Minutes : 1 minutes
3. Cancel Delay if False
4. Repeating Event
5. Repeat Every 10 Minutes

Conditions:
1. Screen Off

Action:
1. Queue Another Event (enter these details for the Queue Event):
-->Event Name: Data On
--> Queue Delay: 9 Minutes
--> Actions: Toggle Mobile Data On
2. Toggle Mobile Data Off

This one goes along with the one above, when screen is turned on mobile data is turned back on.
Event Name: Screen On
Conditions:
1. Screen On

Actions:
2. Toggle Mobile Data On​

Anyone else have some to share?

Last edited:

umpirerob

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Oddly, I just installed this last night. Haven't really set it up other than home location, so I'm curious as well.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

cadzilla74

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I have been using Llama for quite a while.

I have it set to turn on wifi when I'm Home and also turn alerts/notifications to Quiet from 10pm to 9am.

Then it turns off wifi as soon as I leave any tower designated in my Home Tower group and turns up the volume at 9am. (You need to run a scan for towers at each location you spend a lot of time at.)

As soon as I get to work and it sees a tower in my Work Group it turns the volume down.

Any public place I frequent that has wifi available I have created a task to turn on wifi and connect on my TBolt as soon as I enter the place. It then turns it off again as soon as I leave and go out of range.

This is a great app but remember to Train it by allowing it to scan long enough to see all the cell towers near Home, Work, etc. If you are in a location where you expect the phone to have changed to Quiet but you get an alert that is Loud you just need to open Llama and check the Recent Tab. You'll probably see a new cell tower that was undiscovered previously. Just add it to the appropriate Group and the desired action will implement immediately. It has a very small CPU/Memory footprint. Watchdog has NEVER reported Llama misbehaving.

MojaveHigh

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I use Tasker occasionally and I'm also playing around with Impel. Haven't tried Llama yet, but plan to.

Here's one thing I'd like to do: turn on wifi when I get home, turn it off when I leave. This is basically a simple operation using GPS fixing every 5 minutes (working in Impel), but inside my house, GPS gets a weak fix, so Impel turns off my wifi now and then because it thinks I have left my house (loses GPS fix).

How might I set that up to work properly in Llama?

Bob61

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
I do that with Llama. Cell tower is used to determine your "home" location.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Bob61

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
I use Tasker occasionally and I'm also playing around with Impel. Haven't tried Llama yet, but plan to.

Here's one thing I'd like to do: turn on wifi when I get home, turn it off when I leave. This is basically a simple operation using GPS fixing every 5 minutes (working in Impel), but inside my house, GPS gets a weak fix, so Impel turns off my wifi now and then because it thinks I have left my house (loses GPS fix).

How might I set that up to work properly in Llama?
I looked at Tasker and it overwhelmed me. It can do a lot but more than what I'm looking for I guess. I looked at Impel and it seems similar to Llama. Though Impel has some nice extras to it I didn't like the UI, maybe I've just become used to Llama at this point. I found the basic functionality I'm looking for more straight forward in Llama.

To address how you'd accomplish wifi on/off while at home, here's what I do:

Create Area: Home (train or select the cell towers in your "home" area)

Create the two events:

Event Name: Home (Arrive)
Condition: Enter Area -> Home (need to define your "Home" in area)
Action: Toggle Wifi -> On (I also set to Profile "loud")

Even Name: Home (Leave)
Condition: Leave Area -> Home
Action: Toggle Wifi -> Off (I also set to Profile "normal")

lirsch

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
Wow, the state of this thread really read my mind ... for the past few weeks I'm looking for an App or tasker profile which will perform the following flow:

(Works when screen off or on)
- try to connect to known wifi networks (currently 2, let's call them "Home" and "Work")
- If not succeeded -> connect to 3G
- Let all data downloaders (weather widget, Rss, Email, Gmail, ...) work for 2 minutes
- Disconnect from current active connection (Wifi or 3G)
- Delay for 18 minutes
- Go over the flow again ....

Can someone please make this profile for me? O:)

jlhiowa

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
I was really glad to find this thread! I'm surprised there aren't more posts...

Here's a profile I just set up to play a song after my phone finishes charging. Tested, and it works! :D

Event Name: Charging complete
Condition: Battery level -> Battery rises above -> 99
Action: Play a sound -> (you can use any I chose a ringtone)

Last edited:
Reactions: Hypnotoadd

cadzilla74

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I was really glad to find this thread! I'm surprised there aren't more posts...

Here's a profile I just set up to play a song after my phone finishes charging. I haven't used it yet, so I'll write back if it doesn't work.

Event Name: Charging complete
Condition: Battery level -> Battery rises above -> 99
Action: Play a sound -> (you can use any I chose a ringtone)

Yeah Llama is a bit of an unsung hero when it comes to setting profiles by Date/Time/Location. I love the heck out of it and barely scratch the surface of all it can do.

jlhiowa

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
Yeah Llama is a bit of an unsung hero when it comes to setting profiles by Date/Time/Location. I love the heck out of it and barely scratch the surface of all it can do.

Please share your events/actions :) I feel like there's so much more Llama can do that I'm not even thinking of!

greyopaque

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
At home, turn on WiFi, turn ringer to medium loud. Then, if at home on weekdays, turn ringer to vibrate and lower brightness between 11pm and 6:30 am, weekends extended to 10:30. Goes back to normal after those times.

At work, turn down ringer to low and turn in WiFi

Leaving the house,gym or work, turn off WiFi, turn on Bluetooth for 1 minute to see if I'm in my car, if I am it connects, if I'm in a different vehicle, turns off. If I am connected to my car, Blue will turn off no matter where I am when I shut off my car. Also, turns ringer to 'loud'

At the gym, start music app.

Turn on screen rotation when running any picture or video app, turn off when finished.

greyopaque

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
Just added a new task...used the Locale plugin ability using a free Locale SMS plugin from the market to text my wife to let her know I'm heading home from work at the end of the day. SMS is on the Devs todo list, but this will tie me over until it's implemented.

carolyne0105

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone,

Yes I'm new here and I guess it's the 1st time I'm actually getting into a forum! :)
I guess you should know that my 1st language is french so I'm sorry if I'm not been clear sometimes or if I do grammatical errors! :p

Well, I just got Llama yesterday and I've read your post to, of course, get examples!

I did a lot of research on Tasker too, in order to get ideas for Llama.

I've seen one that can speak the weather in morning but the text file just looks like programmation (well it actually is!) which looks like chinese to me! :D Does anyone know how (and if) we can achieve that with Llama?

I also tried 2 events :

When the next alarm is due on "weekdays" at home between 5:30 and 6:30 open the wifi, do synchro and show me weather.

as well I did :

When there's no alarm set between 5:30 and 6:30 at home open the wifi and do synchro.

I'm not sure that this will work though. The 1st one is for the weekdays and i would like the things to be done in the morning after the alarm has rung. I guess it should work... but i'm still not sure...

The 2nd one, since i want it to happen on the weekends or on the weekdays if I'm not working (there won't be an alarm then between 5:30 and 6:30) may occur anytime right? How can I tell Llama that I might only want it to happen at like 10:00? :p

I also saw that we should be able to "if there's a call, speak the caller id or name" with Llama, but can figure out how to achieve that... someone got an idea?

Other than that, I of course set the "if i come home or leave home" (and office) do the things I want. I did the battery notices too.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

whoshoo

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I have an event group called Pictures
Under this event group I have two events titled "Camera" and "Gallery"
both perform the same functions as follows:
Event name: camera rotate
Condition: active application -> camera
Action: screen rotation -> on

The same is repeated for gallery. So when I open the camera or gallery app, screen rotation is enabled.

I am just trying to figure out how to terminate the action when the condition is no longer met (for some reason screen rotation remains turned on).

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I have an event group called Pictures
Under this event group I have two events titled "Camera" and "Gallery"
both perform the same functions as follows:
Event name: camera rotate
Condition: active application -> camera
Action: screen rotation -> on

The same is repeated for gallery. So when I open the camera or gallery app, screen rotation is enabled.

I am just trying to figure out how to terminate the action when the condition is no longer met (for some reason screen rotation remains turned on).

Cool. setting this up for my YouTube app as well

Super Turtleman

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
This will turn off mobile data once screen is off (1 minute delay). It will then toggle mobile data on every 10 minutes so it can poll any email and other sync updates (will remain on for 1 minute).

Event Name: Screen Off

Advanced:
1. Delay Event
3. Cancel Delay if False
4. Repeating Event

Conditions:
1. Screen Off

Action:
1. Queue Another Event (enter these details for the Queue Event):
-->Event Name: Data On
--> Queue Delay: 9 Minutes
--> Actions: Toggle Mobile Data On
2. Toggle Mobile Data Off

This one goes along with the one above, when screen is turned on mobile data is turned back on.
Event Name: Screen On
Conditions:
1. Screen On

Actions:
2. Toggle Mobile Data On​

Anyone else have some to share?

I took yours and made a couple changes for myself. Hopefully it works the way I intend it to. I do have unlimited data so I'm not worried about that, it's all trying to improve battery life (which is already awesome). :cool:

Advanced:
1. Delay Event
3. Cancel Delay if False
4. Repeating Event

Conditions:
1. Screen Off
2. Charging Status: Using Battery

Action:
1. Toggle Mobile Data Off

2. Queue another event:
--->Event Name: Data On
--->Queue Delay: 9 Minutes
--->Action: Toggle Mobile Data On

3. Queue another event:
--->Event Name: Data Off
--->Queue Delay: 10 mins
--->Action: Toggle Mobile Data Off

I'm hoping this will do exactly what I want: turn data off while screen is off (on battery only) and run data for 1 minute every 10 mins. We'll see...

Last edited:

Super Turtleman

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
After trying mine it kept turning the data off. It seems step 3 is unnecessary. I'm trying yours right now (with the exception of it only occurring when using battery) to see if that works for me.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
i tried Llama but i prefer "WIFI@Home" for the task of automatically turning WIFI off and on based on Home Cell Towers. IMO it's simpler, cleaner, leaner, more reliable, and uses a user-friendly Map Radius setting -

WiFi@Home
by Achim Beinroth

Description
Save battery by automatically turning off WiFi when you are not at home.
This lean and easy to use App will toggle WiFi automatically when you cross a given distance around your home location.
The (approximate) location information is acquired from the network, not from GPS.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...=com.aebeinroth.wifihome&hl=en&token=K6fz5psk

ChuckeeDroid

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
Just found this topic. Nice!
I have several rules that are working well for me. I won't mention volume settings as they would differ by preference.

1) if not connected to my car bluetooth and near home cell tower, wifi goes on for 3 minutes then turns off if not connected
2) if connected to home wifi, deactivate lock
3) if connected to car bluetooth, auto brightness, disables lock, turns off wifi
4) disconnect from car, if not in home cell range, disables wifi, disable bluetooth, activate lock
5) charging, enables BT
6) disconnect home wifi, enables BT for 3min then disables if not connected to car, turn off wifi if not connected again in 3min.
7) connected to home wifi and charging, launches Tablet Talk.
8) BT keyboard connect, enables autorotate

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phone user