Tasker Help

allan1313

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
I am trying to create a profile/task that when I open my DoggCatcher app it also opens my Equalizer app and puts the volume all the way up. It is easy enough to create. But I want the EQ app to open in the background. The way I have it now, when I open the DoggCacther app it opens for a second and then the EQ app opens on top of it. Is there a way to make it open in the background??? Is that even possible??

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Not very encouraging that no one answered this. I have an even simpler question. I want to create something (task? profile?) that when I open the navigation app is also turns on GPS. And I have no clue how to even begin.

w5cyc

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Not very encouraging that no one answered this. I have an even simpler question. I want to create something (task? profile?) that when I open the navigation app is also turns on GPS. And I have no clue how to even begin.

This one is easy: Your context is Application -- select Navigation and whatever other apps you might want to trigger the GPS on. Your new task after selecting the context is Misc. -- GPS, and toggle ON. If you want, you can set up an exit task so that when you shut down the Navigation app, GPS also shuts down.

Reactions: Puzzlegal

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Hmm, that worked perfectly for Maps, but didn't work for Navigation. Navigation still popped up the "your GPS is off, look at the GPS settings" dialog that makes it lose whatever place I previously told it about.Do I need to create a delay in opening Navigation or something?

w5cyc

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Seems like I remember having the same issue when I tried to use Tasker for that purpose. Can't remember what the solution was. If you can set a delay, that's probably a good idea.
Assuming you're using Google Maps and Google Nav, I suppose another option would be to always access Nav through Maps. Since Maps would already be running (as well as your GPS) then you might avoid that delay. Still kind of a pain though I guess.

w5cyc

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I am trying to create a profile/task that when I open my DoggCatcher app it also opens my Equalizer app and puts the volume all the way up. It is easy enough to create. But I want the EQ app to open in the background. The way I have it now, when I open the DoggCacther app it opens for a second and then the EQ app opens on top of it. Is there a way to make it open in the background??? Is that even possible??

If you used EQ as the context trigger, with load app Doggcatcher as the new task, I bet DC would then launch over EQ after you've turned EQ on.

djkleric

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm looking for some help with tasker as well. What I want is to set up a profile that toggles wifi/Bluetooth and opens up tunein radio for when I enter my car and tap a NFC tag, then another to do the same but to close the app. Is there a way that I can do this. I feel like a complete Noob with tasker, but I want to learn it to be able to set up multiple profiles and set them to different NFC tags. Any and all help is welcome :D

w5cyc

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Well, I have no experience with NFC tags, but do have some experience with Tasker. My understanding of NFC tags, however, is that you can program a tag such that once the phone "reads" the tag, certain functions or commands are executed. So they essentially do what Tasker does without the tags. So using a tag to prompt Tasker to do something that should be able to be done without Tasker's help strikes me as a bit redundant. Tags and Tasker, at least as I understand it, should be able to work independently of each other. You should be able to program a tag to toggle off wifi, toggle on bluetooth and launch TuneIn whenever a tag is read. Alternately, you can program Tasker whenever your phone is docked in a car dock to do the same things, as well as undo all of those things when removed from the car dock. You shouldn't need to mix both unless you just want to.

jennyfur

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Using a tag to prompt Tasker to do something that should be able to be done without Tasker's help strikes me as a bit redundant.
Agreed. You should be using a tag to prompt Tasker to do something that you can't do without Tasker's help. For instance, there's no way to prompt tasker that you're in your car. An NFC tag is a great way to do so. Also, Tasker allows for extremely complex tasks using variables and such... an NFC tag can only be programmed to do simple things like toggle wifi/bluetooth, launch and app or change volume, etc. The makers of the app NFC Task Launcher understand this, so they built in Tasker support in their app so that you can program NFC tags to launch more complex tasker tasks.

You should be able to program a tag to toggle off wifi, toggle on bluetooth and launch TuneIn whenever a tag is read.
Yes, that's simple to do using an NFC tag. No need for Tasker here.

Alternately, you can program Tasker whenever your phone is docked in a car dock to do the same things, as well as undo all of those things when removed from the car dock. You shouldn't need to mix both unless you just want to.
Not everyone's car dock is that fully featured. Most are just hunks of plastic that hold your phone... the phone (and therefore Tasker) has no way of knowing if it's in one or not. I have a Galaxy Nexus and this is the case for me. So I use an NFC tag to toggle between two tasker tasks. One that turns on bluetooth, increases volumes, etc.and another that turns all of that back off. Which is pretty much exactly what djkleric is looking to do. I use NFC Task Launcher as the app to program Tasker tasks to my NFC tags.

jennyfur

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
I've got a Tasker question though. More of a syntax question actually. I want to use an "or" statement with two calendar entries and don't know how to format it. Basically, I have calendar entries for "vacation" and "holiday" and have many tasks that I'd like to run if the context is either of those. So how would I say "vacation OR holiday" correctly? Thanks!

w5cyc

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Maybe someone can help you with the syntax issue. I don't have the answer to that. But if it were me, I'd just set up two identical calendar entry profiles, with one triggering on the word holiday and the other triggering on the word vacation.

TheReclinerJockey

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I've got a Tasker question though. More of a syntax question actually. I want to use an "or" statement with two calendar entries and don't know how to format it. Basically, I have calendar entries for "vacation" and "holiday" and have many tasks that I'd like to run if the context is either of those. So how would I say "vacation OR holiday" correctly? Thanks!

/ = or
:)

~ from my MoPho

Reactions: jennyfur

jennyfur

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Maybe someone can help you with the syntax issue. I don't have the answer to that. But if it were me, I'd just set up two identical calendar entry profiles, with one triggering on the word holiday and the other triggering on the word vacation.

That's what I did originally. Problem is, tasker is limited to 4 conditions per profile. That takes up 2 already. Throw in day of the week and time of day and you're all out of conditions.

jennyfur

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
OK, new question. I'm using this recipe to speak the weather in the morning, with a few modifications. In the "talk weather" task there is a step "say" that has the message and the variables. I'd like to also have it speak any calendar events I have that day though. Can't seem to figure out how yet.

On second thoughts, never mind. If there's any days that I have a lot of events with long names, this could really get annoying because it would take too long to speak. Perhaps I will just create a variable that has the number of events and announce that instead (or "no" events if = 0). Much shorter and accomplishes the same task (that is, getting my lazy butt to work on time if I've got meetings).

Last edited:

WentworthJohnson777

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site

What you need to do is to set the equipment app as the trigger for the "doggcacther". Therefore opening the equipment will launch the doggcacther allowing the equipment app to run safely in the background. Lemme know if it worked for you. It worked for a similar problem I faced.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC