GMAIL locked up

R2D4

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Since yesterday, when I launch the GMAIL app the list of my emails appears (open and unopen) but I cannot open them. I also cannot get the menu to appear in the app. I am getting notifications in the task bar and I can access the emails from my desktop.

I cannot uninstall or update the app. Is there anything else I can do? All of my other apps appear to be working so I am hoping to avoid a total reset.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

R2D4

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the response. I have cleared the cache and data and powered off the phone but no luck with clearing up my issue. I am starting to think a factory reset is in my future.

Phoenixhawk

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Your phone wouldn't happen to be a POS HTC EVO 3D would it? About an hour ago mine started doing pretty much the same thing.

Show's my inbox and keeps scrolling to the left over and over and over. Hitting the back button does nothing, Hitting the Home button takes you back to home but a few seconds later it reopens Gmail on it's own to continue the scroll until hitting home a second time.

I've tried clearing the cache, uninstalling the updates, reinstalling the updates. Rebooting a couple dozen times (Both warm reboots and cold reboots w/ the battery pulled)

To me the behavior seems like that of a virus, so I went ahead and scanned it with the following
( Updated, Full Scan /w SD Card if available )
Lookout Premium - Negative
AVG Mobilation - Negative
avast! - Negative
Dr.Web Antivirus - Negative

Completely removed the SD Card, and tried rebooting again, No luck so I came to the Android Central forums, forgot my password for here, did the reset, after actually saying DOH! outloud, downloaded the K-9 email app, used that to reset my password for here. And after all that, here I am in the same boat. :(

About the only advice I can offer is delete the shortcut to the Gmail App to keep from accidently opening it. Download K-9 Mail (Free) or some other email app from the Android Market/Goggle Play and use that until there is a fix.

R2D4

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
My phone is a Razr Maxx and on Verizon. I feel a bit better that I am not the only one having this issue and I will wait a bit longer to see if anything happens to clear it up.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the response. I have cleared the cache and data and powered off the phone but no luck with clearing up my issue. I am starting to think a factory reset is in my future.

Yea, I mean, if you don't really care too much about the setup of your phone and don't mind doing it, it's worth a shot if no one else has any ideas. I would assume that'd fix the problem. I hate having to do it, but, sometimes there is no other option. Lets hope someone else can shed some light on this.

Cellmeister

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Its a Google Gmail Android Device App issue, not your phone

From what I have read on several forums is Google just recently changed some programming code

So the fix will be coming automatically from Google

Effecting Android devices using the Gmail App

So I would just say wait it out & report it as well

Hope that helps

Reactions: R2D4

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Its a Google Gmail Android Device App issue, not your phone

From what I have read on several forums is Google just recently changed some programming code

So the fix will be coming automatically from Google

Effecting Android devices using the Gmail App

So I would just say wait it out & report it as well

Hope that helps

Do you have to have received an update to have the issue? Why aren't all devices affected? I access my gmail all day long every day and I haven't had any issues yet. I wonder why I haven't but other people have? :confused:

R2D4

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
This issue cleared up for me overnight. Thank you to everyone who contributed and let me know it wasn't just me. I waited it out and that was a good decision. Thanks again.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Weird. But, glad that the issue cleared up. Lets hope it doesn't come back. Thanks for coming back and posting your results!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair