Google Drive

AtanRaca

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
As I play with this more I feel like it isn't really something that will replace Box for me (or even Dropbox for others.) I got the special 50GB for free and to be honest only using to transfer photos. I ish Google would have kept this desperate from Docs for those of us that don't have a strong need for writing documents. Just my two cents worth.

KineticMD

Would-be Doc
Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Drive is definitely my go-to now for uploading files. Both have great interfaces, but Drive looks like it has better sharing tools what with all that Google juice it's got. Dropbox I've mostly used for movies up to this point.

However, I downloaded the desktop app for my Mac and it won't even open. There's a critical error (471b or something like that) every time I open it. Until that gets fixed I'll have to upload from drive.google.com it seems.

MojaveHigh

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
It's really not even necessary to choose.

If you use a product like Gladinet on Windows and ES File Explorer on Android, you can connect to many (but not yet all) of the cloud services and just combine them all as one big cloud drive. Or you can simply use all of the specific cloud service apps.

I have 50G on Box, 25G on SkyDrive, plus DropBox, Google Drive, Amazon Cloud Drive, etc. That's 100G for free. Why choose when you can use them all?

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I was expecting this to replace my DropBox account. I was a little disappointed.
My biggest gripe is not being able to choose your upload location. I would like to keep everything organized by uploading files to folders I create for certain types of documents. If I navigate to a folder and try to upload a file, it uploads it to the main directory.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

PSUGradAtl

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Buggers! What's up with this whole "notify you when your drive is ready" business?? I guess they got slammed with people signing up and they can't respond fast enough?

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
so i uploaded some files onto google drive, is there any other way to save the files on my phone other then make them offline? i have some ebooks and can't move them into my kindle app folder.

psufan32

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
It seems as though this should definitely have a "beta" tag on it. Google really does have some great services, but they also have a lot of fragmentation amongst their products. I fully expected their Google Drive to be a one-stop collection of all of our music uploaded through Google Music, any videos we've downloaded through the Play Store, even videos that we've "favorited" in YouTube, along with any pictures that we've uploaded, along with documents, etc. Yet, we have Google Drive And Google/Play Music. Sort of like Gtalk AND G+ Messenger.

As for the Google Drive, I'd like to 1) see deeper integration within Windows (for me) in terms of uploading files and 2) for cloud services to solve the dilemma of having to copy files into a Google Drive folder. I would rather not have files in two places on my computer. If I wanted everything uploaded to Google Drive, I guess that I could set broader folders like My Documents, My Pictures and My Videos to upload, but what about if I only want certain files uploaded? That is one of the issues with cloud services.

pank

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I was expecting this to replace my DropBox account. I was a little disappointed.
My biggest gripe is not being able to choose your upload location. I would like to keep everything organized by uploading files to folders I create for certain types of documents. If I navigate to a folder and try to upload a file, it uploads it to the main directory.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Sorry if I am misunderstanding your post:
I am like you, I like to keep things neat and in folders depending on what I am uploading. I set my drive up tonight and everything worked perfectly for me. I copied all of my Dropbox folders right in to Drive and they uploaded into the correct folder.

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Sorry if I am misunderstanding your post:
I am like you, I like to keep things neat and in folders depending on what I am uploading. I set my drive up tonight and everything worked perfectly for me. I copied all of my Dropbox folders right in to Drive and they uploaded into the correct folder.

Sorry, I left out some key information.
I wasn't able to do it from the Android app.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

tmen

May 15, 2012
Visit site
As I play with this more I feel like it isn't really something that will replace Box for me (or even Dropbox for others.) I got the special 50GB for free and to be honest only using to transfer photos. I ish Google would have kept this desperate from Docs for those of us that don't have a strong need for writing documents. Just my two cents worth.

Is the 50 GB you got is free? Basing it from the article I've read: http://darktips.com/meet-google-drivegoogles-new-shiny-apps/. You will only have 5 GB for free.

I used Dropbox before and I'm definitely switching to Google Drive. It is simply a great application. Good job Google!

Last edited:
Reactions: falourmama

MojaveHigh

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Is the 50 GB you got is free? Basing it from the article I've read: How to watch 3D movies on your computer | DarkTips. You will only have 5 GB for free.

I used Dropbox before and I'm definitely switching to Google Drive. It is simply a great application. Good job Google!

Did you maybe post a link to the wrong article?

Box.net twice had promotions where you could get upgraded to 50G for free. I don't think that's still available now though.

Reactions: falourmama

joemd60

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Drive is easy for storing photos. But not so easy to share.
When you share a folder from Drive, it either does not go to the recipient.
Or if it does, they need a Google account to open the files.
Also, if they can open the files. There is no slideshow option.
You're forced to hit the back button, and view the files one at a time.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol