Titanium Backup Pro Sync with Google Drive Issue

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Running on both my ASUS TF101 and my VZW Galaxy Nexus, the newly released backup capability from Titanium Backup Pro to Google Drive (v 5.1.0), the sync operation saves files time and date stamped with the actual transfer time, instead of the last modified time that the file was originated or most recently updated in the Android device.

On subsequent syncs, the app is unable to match the file date and times properly, and backs up everything again, rather than just the files that were modified after the previous sync. Consequently, it builds up redundant files in Google Drive, and takes an inordinate time to complete syncs. Using the Dropbox alternative sync operation from TBP doesn't have the problem.

I submitted a support ticket with Titanium, and I hope they fix it quickly, but this is just an FYI that until it's resolved, you can inadvertently build up some huge files in Google Drive using TBP sync.

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I got feedback this morning that the next release of TBP will address the Google Drive issue and include other new features.

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Still no relief with 5.1.0.1, but Titanium tells me that they are not able to replicate the problem, so perhaps it's unique to my configuration. They are working with me on the problem, so I'm hopefully for a resolution soon.

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Titanium is continuing to help me with the problem, and they have found evidence that it isn't unique to me.

They "now believe the problem is caused by a sporadic bug in Google's API: it seems that for some accounts, it will occasionally return an incomplete list of files, which is causing TB to believe they're missing and thus to re-upload them."

They have provided a couple of modified TBP apps, but no improvement so far. I still see redundant files on successive syncs. The real danger is that you can fill up your allocated 5gb file space quota with duplicated files pretty quickly. By the way, deleting them just puts them into trash in Google Drive, so you have to open the Google Drive Web app to empty the trash, and free up your unused space.

Fortunately syncs to Dropbox and Box work properly.

Last edited:

phelme

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
Gosh, I can't even get a complete TB Pro backup to Google Drive. I keep getting "update to Google Drive failed." I think I'm on my 6th attempt now and maybe 80% of the way complete. It makes a little headway each time

(This is over Wifi, not cell)

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Gosh, I can't even get a complete TB Pro backup to Google Drive. I keep getting "update to Google Drive failed." I think I'm on my 6th attempt now and maybe 80% of the way complete. It makes a little headway each time

Titanium clearly resolved the main problem that I was complaining about, that had been unsurmountable, but since then, I also have had the failure difficulty getting full backups completed, and I had to restart several times on the first full pass, which is a separate issue.

I'm not sure if that is a Google Drive, network, local config or app problem. Fortunately, with the fix that Titanium made, the app was able to restart and run without having to transfer the whole data set every time, so I made incremental progress each time to completion.

Once I completed the full backups, subsequent backups are very short, since they are only transferring new or modified files, and I had no problem with them.

I ran the backups on two different devices, with the same results.

barji

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site

I get failed @ 7% no increment on successive tries. Guess I'll stick with drop box until they fix it...:confused:

DX2CM7RC1

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I get failed @ 7% no increment on successive tries. Guess I'll stick with drop box until they fix it...:confused:

DX2CM7RC1
I'm beginning to think that TB coding doesn't cope with transmission glitches very well, and just exits the sync if it receives an error response.

Yesterday morning I experienced fairly frequent failures during full transfers, but was able to incrementally get through it on two devices.

Last night I ran new, full transfers on both devices without a hitch, and it's been doing another set on a third device this morning - cleanly so far.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

barji

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Just updated TBP and now the backup sync to Google drive fails at 0%. It logs in and checks the backup folder for cleanup then at step 3 of 3 fails after about 30 sec...

Sent from my MB870/DX2CM7RC1 using Android Central Forums

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Just updated TBP and now the backup sync to Google drive fails at 0%. It logs in and checks the backup folder for cleanup then at step 3 of 3 fails after about 30 sec...

Sent from my MB870/DX2CM7RC1 using Android Central Forums

You might want to look at your Google Drive on the web via a PC, and check to see if it is full. I had that problem during the initial redundant backup problem. If it is full, you probably would want to delete the backup folder in Google Drive, and then be sure to empty the trash, and confirm that you have ample room available, then run the sync again. Titanium added the capability with this last update to delete the obsolete files, but I don't think that will remove them from a sync from the earlier revision prior to backing up. Once you recreate the file, you shouldn't experience the buildup of any more redundant files.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

praest76

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the same failure part of the way through the sync with Drive, Dropbox and Box. None of which are even remotely full. To me it does seem like it's hitting some issue part of the way through transmitting a file and just fails out. I've never managed a complete sync.

Is there any kind of log that Titanium leaves that could tell me if it's a particular file or where it fails? I tried temporarily deleting anything that was over 100MB to see if that would shift it but it didn't help.

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm having the same failure part of the way through the sync with Drive, Dropbox and Box. None of which are even remotely full. To me it does seem like it's hitting some issue part of the way through transmitting a file and just fails out. I've never managed a complete sync.

Is there any kind of log that Titanium leaves that could tell me if it's a particular file or where it fails? I tried temporarily deleting anything that was over 100MB to see if that would shift it but it didn't help.

I'm not a TB expert, but I would be sure you are getting a strong wifi signal exchange with you remote device, as TB doesn't seem to be robust handling transmission errors, and just fails.

I had the same kind of problem getting through a large sync operation, until I get closer to the router - then it just zipped through it. I queried TB support on that question, but no answer yet.

It also isn't strong in providing log history or diagnostic data to the user, as far as I have been able to see. Their support group is very good at providing special versions to capture data for their analysis. They were great with me, getting resolution to the redundant file issue.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Ali Fazel

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
I keep getting network errors on upload. Has anyone else seen this? I've tried from a few different wifi networks, and I get the same result each time.

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I keep getting network errors on upload. Has anyone else seen this? I've tried from a few different wifi networks, and I get the same result each time.

Stability to Google Drive has improved greatly for me over time, presumably due to coding improvements in TB and/or the Google Drive server.

Excluding the glitches on the first run after each update to the TB app, between my Galaxy Nexus and ASUS Transformer, I'm doing 6 backups a week to Google Drive, and 6 to Dropbox - and it's been quite a while since I've experienced a fail on either one. I wish there was a log on TB that I could be more specific but I'm certainly not having problems with every backup. The most recent TB update on 8/26, is supposed to eliminate the bogus free storage space notification after a TB update.

Last edited:

Kage_

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
I just updated to the latest TB version and and I have yet to complete a successful upload to Google Drive. I'm using 18MB of the 5GB so that's not the issue. My wifi signal where I'm at is on the weak side so maybe they still haven't got the bugs worked out on slow / inconsistent network links.

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I just updated to the latest TB version and and I have yet to complete a successful upload to Google Drive. I'm using 18MB of the 5GB so that's not the issue. My wifi signal where I'm at is on the weak side so maybe they still haven't got the bugs worked out on slow / inconsistent network links.

Are you able to successfully backup from TB to Dropbox and/or Box?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21